1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How can I calculate the real FOV?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Massimiliano Franchelli, Nov 9, 2013.

1. There is a method to calculate the FOV with real dimensions?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Multiplayer How is my level calculated for running with my peers? Aug 19, 2022
    ACC Hardware Discussions Gambled FOV, who can calculate this setup? Sep 8, 2021
    ACC Tools ACC Fuel Calculator APP - How to Calculate Fuel Mar 20, 2021
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards How is the PC rating calculated? Feb 20, 2021
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards How are CP points Calculated? Jul 20, 2020
    ACC Gameplay lap times wrongly calculated? May 25, 2020
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards SA points ranking - calculated "online"? Feb 13, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Fuel consumption in general regarding calculated one Sep 23, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Does AC calculate the downforce F1 cars produce? May 26, 2017
    Chit Chat Room How to calculate extra weight(downforce)? Nov 28, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres calculate the fuel consumption ? Jul 20, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Using autodesk flow to calculate coefficient drag Jul 16, 2016
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Trying to calculate Performance Delta from shared memory Jan 22, 2016
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Calculate horsepower (rpm*t) ? need help Nov 30, 2015
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres How to calculate or set flat spot phisics in mod tyres? Nov 6, 2015

3. James Gore

James Gore Racer

4. HackMac

HackMac Racer

This calculation is for games which use vertical FOV values, like rfactor.

AC uses horizontal FOV.
    That's totally different.

PCars uses horizontal FOV as well.
    Here you find a calculator giving you the correct value for ACs horizontal FOV.

http://carsfov.moritzlawitschka.de

When I am in the mood I use my projector for a 150cm wide projection. With the correct FOV and scale everything looks 1:1 to real life size and distance.
    Really immersive :).

5. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

Pics or didn't happen :D
    Seriously, thank you for the FOV calculator, I will give it a try ;)

6. Silvastone

Silvastone Gamer

If AC values are set for horizontal FOV, my understanding is that it works like the following:

Think of it as an angle formed by two vectors going from a middle point between your eyes towards the left and right edges of your screen. That angle should be your real FOV. That's what basic physics tells me, if I'm not missing something.

Little things to take into account:

- the closer and wider the screen is, the greater the angle (FOV), the wider your peripheral vision;
    - therefore, the narrower and more far the screen is, the lower the FOV will be, the narrower your perifheral vision.

The real deal sometimes is not the best compromise depending on your setup. If your screen is not big or close enough, you may end with a very narrow view, making it too trick to drive, killing the sense of speed and the awareness of the surroundings. In other words, real FOV may well not suit many setups. It will usually work better for triple screen and projectors.

Nevertheless it may well be a good starting point. For me for instance, the real FOV value is a little bit too narrow. Often I miss the mirrors and more peripheral vision than I wish. But is not too far from the sweet spot. From the real FOV value I increase untill I find a good compromise. I have a single 27 inch screen, positioned right behind the steering wheel, to give me the wider real FOV as possible. From there I tweak for a better compromise.

Hope this can help someone... at least to understand the principles. The FOV calculator posted above probably must do those calculatios based on the screen size.

In case someone wanna try to do it manually, here you go with a tool for calculating angles/sides of a triangle that can be usefull for that matter. One can measure the distance between the eyes and the edges of the screen, fill the form and calculate the angle it forms. It will be your real FOV, and from there you can tweak until it suits you.

http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

have fun!

http://ostermiller.org/calc/triangle.html

have fun!

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  7. HackMac

HackMac Racer

Here is the pic. Not great since it's taken at angle from the right, but you can seen the projection over my head (shadow on the wheel) and the real size car. It's not AC but pCars in this photo.

image.jpg

Eric Von Zipper and Tundra like this.
  8. Tundra

Tundra Hardcore Simmer

Very cool!!!!!

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

Setting up your FOV tutorial, applies to any sim or game, there is a calculator too where you enter in your distance, screen size, etc - http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/93-Setting-up-your-rFactor-FOV-Tutorial?s=965cccecbda77125aead4e8e49fc49a7

My correct FOV is supposed to be about 17 degrees but I am using 25 at the moment. With single screen it's harder to judge exactly when to get on the throttle due to not being able to see the exit on tighter corners, but with triple screens fix all of that :).

I slowly went down from 50 or 60 FOV to my current 25, over a few months period. When I just drastically changed it in one shot it was too much for me, couldn't get used to it. Go down by 3 or 4 FOV until you are comfortable and can match your laptimes, then a few days later bring it down another 3 or 4 and so on. I could NEVER go back to insanely unrealistically high FOVs anymore.

The closer you are to your screen, and the bigger your screen is, the higher the FOV gets in order to represent everything in true 1:1 scale of real life. So if you are really far from your screen your true FOV might be like 8 lol, so get as close to your monitor as you can and get triple screens.

Sharp curves actually feel like sharp curves, rather than small turns and then you wonder why you plow straight off lol.

10. scottay44

scottay44 Rookie

I hate you so much, the things i do to have this setup

11. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@HacMack, just a few question if you don't mind, I am also using a projector, what is the diagonal size of your projected screen? Is the ratio 16:9? What vFOV are you using in that picture?

12. Guys I think AC uses vertical fov, not horizontal.
    According to calculators my horizontal fov should be 58, but at this value the track is extended unnaturaly. The vertical fov gives value of 35 for me and it feels and looks more natural.

13. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

it is also my understanding that AC uses vertical FOV, as opposed to Iracing using horizontal FOV.
    the formula to get from one to the other is : V_FoV = (9/16) * H_FoV
    Assuming you are using a 16:9 ratio.

14. HackMac

HackMac Racer

pCars uses hFOV and AC as well. I compared both and got the same result with the same FOV setting. I used the pcars FOV calculator with my screen width of 148cm.

With my projector setup I use a hFOV of 77.

My projector is 16:9 1080p but a roughly a fourth if the image is projected under my desk so it's cut off.

15. HackMac

HackMac Racer

Here are some more images
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Drivers view
    image.jpg

16. So you think that your steering wheel is like half the size of the front window? This doesn't look realistic at all.

17. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

17? Lol You must have a huge screen.

18. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

AC uses a vertical FOV

19. HackMac

HackMac Racer

Nope. From my actual point of view while driving my wheel exactly covers the virtual wheel.
    In the pic it is distorted due to the wrong distance and viewing angle of the camera.
    And it the Elise which is not super wide.

Chevalier D'Harmental likes this.
  20. HackMac

HackMac Racer

Here a better pic from my actual drivers view. The image is not wide enough to cover my hole screen.
    image.jpg

I think it's quite accurate. With hFOV 77, 148 cm screen width and 98 cm eye distance to the screen.