1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How can I calculate the real FOV?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Massimiliano Franchelli, Nov 9, 2013.

1. HackMac

HackMac Racer

Are you all really sure about vFOV? What do the KS developers say?

2. Good Question? HackMac

3. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Radek, maybe not useless if you use the formula to get from one to the other V_FoV = (9/16) * H_FoV.
    Once you get your result. Is Pcar using H fov? HackMack says so, I don't know for sure, have not had a chance to check

4. HackMac

HackMac Racer

Yes pCars has hFOV.
    I tried AC now with vFOV of 43 (following your calculation) and it felt just wrong. It felt like tripping and stumbling over the corners. They are just far to close.

Now I am 100% sure that hFOV of 77 is correct for my setup :)

5. Nyksy

Nyksy Rookie

Devs, please confirm which one is it.

6. Spinelli

Spinelli Simracer

It's vertical FOV 1000000%. If you have triple screens try to atleast be in the 20s to aproach 1:1 real life object sizes

7. Imho with single screen right fov is unplayable...i have 27" monitor...80 cm from eyes and fov calculator say me 42 fov...i0ve tested it...unplayble...everything is too near...and i have no feel of speed...in zonda at 300 km/h seems to be in abarth 500 at 130 km/h...rly sry for may bad english...i've tryed to write without google translator...:confused:

8. HackMac

HackMac Racer

I have to apologize.
    AC indeed uses vertical FOV. Everybody was right and I was wrooong.
    So sorry to everyone.
    I made a exact measurement in AC and pacars.
    I now use vFOV of 50 for my 67 inch projection in AC and 79 in pcars.
    This is the right calculator:
    http://mrpix.org/rF2/fov/index.php?m=1

for AC choose rFactor 2.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  9. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I can't see how that's accurate. Perhaps for larger screens, but I just have a 23" monitor sitting right behind my wheel so I can't get it closer. According to that my fov should be 23 which makes it almost impossible to see where the track goes, nevermind other cars nearby.
    I have changed mine to 50 for now which gives me a comfortable view ahead but I may have to increase it when multiplayer is rolled out. I would hate to hit someone off track because I couldn't see where they were.

Backmarker likes this.
  10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I might have found something, please try first before commenting, if you can.
    I have tried using the existing 3 screen app with one screen, it seems to be working just fine!
    bezels at zero, angle at zero, enter distance and total width of the screen and there you go. Enjoy!
    it seems we have a FOV calculator after all.
    let me know if it works for you as well as it does for me.:)

11. tHenOrthfAce

tHenOrthfAce Gamer

This works with 3 screens only!! When you set up this way your single screen shows what should be seen horizontaly on 3 screens.

Its perfectly normal that you need some time to adapt to the low fov when you played all this years using higher values.
    But its worth it because all objects are lifelike in size. And when you actually go to a track you raced on your sim before
    you are not going to be surprised by much tighter corners etc. because they are really that tight.

When in your real car try to imagine the outlines of your tft-screen right behind the steeringwheel, than concentrate and look through that window. Thats what you should see in your sim when you are aiming for the best immersion. If its to small for your taste go and get a larger screen (but put it in the same location, aka as near as possible) or go tripple. Anything else looks not right and kills the immersion, atleast thats how i feel.....go real people!!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    Chevalier D'Harmental likes this.
  12. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

Shouldn't resolution be taken into consideration?

Sent from my bq Edison using Tapatalk

13. tHenOrthfAce

tHenOrthfAce Gamer

no...just the distance between eyes and screen and the screensize of course.

14. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

My ( projected ) screen as a width of 80 inch, equivalent to 3 x screen width of 26 inch ( diagonal of about 29 ), maybe that is why is works so well for me.
    When sitting close, as I do, you have to turn your head to see the side, mirros , etc...
    The width of the screen takes care of the side distortion.
    I have done track days at a few ( Canadian ) tracks and the proportion are real with the fov I use in my set up.
    I can imagine on a smaller screen it might be different, as you might not be able to sit close enough to make the ratio work.

@ tHenOrthfAce, have you tried it?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

I made a mistake, I had not entered the proper distance from the screen, I goofed changing Inch in MM.
    It does not work, the FOV angle is way too high at the proper distance!
    We need a proper single screen app, equivalent to the triple screen app, to take the guessing work from using an outside calculator out of the equation

16. tHenOrthfAce

tHenOrthfAce Gamer

Yes sure i gave it a try. And when playing with the app i set the angle between middle and sidescreens to 0° so there was no distortion.
    This was the result.

[​IMG]
    Now look at it an try to imagine there is a 24" monitor right behind the wheels revcounter-led-thingy. For reference the wheels diameter is probably 35cm, the screenwidth is like 53cm.
    All in all it is roughly as wide as the wheel plus the drivers hands.

And now look at what my fov is like...

[​IMG]

it is a nearly perfect 1/3 horizontal section (minus vertical parts) of the image above.

Attached Files:

Cote Dazur likes this.
  17. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Thank you for the pictures, tHenOrthfAce.
    Trying to have all objects lifelike in size on a 24 inch screen, will definitely ask for sacrifice on other aspect of the driving view, some compromise will have to be accepted, one way or the other depending on the priories.
    Being able to drive on a bigger screen, or even better on a triple screens, helps having your cake and eat it at the same time.;)

18. HackMac

HackMac Racer

I recommend not to invest a lot money in a triple screen or big screen now.

I think it will be very worth the time waiting for the consumer version of the Oculus Rift, hopefully coming end of next year.
    That thing will blow us all away with regard to immersion.
    Then we will all wish for a motion rig so badly :)

BlueSkies and Cote Dazur like this.