1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How to adjust setups for GT3s in v1.9?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Strummer, Oct 28, 2016.

1. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Going minimum height on most GT3s is big trouble. Only 3-4 of them work fine at min height.

Eduardo AuKiss likes this.
  2. Coanda

Coanda Alien

@Georg Siebert - Thank you very much for the many informative posts on this thread. I am still in the process of learning and find it interesting when others open up new areas of knowledge to explore. Could you please clarify one of your earlier comments?

"- so at default the front bump ratio is 0.87, the rear displays as 0.81 - the correct rear bump ratio is then ca. 1.15, hence too much"

If the corrected value is 0.25 then how to arrive at 1.15 for the rear bump?

3. Could you explain this further please? Aero?

4. That is what I have noticed in what little experimenting that I have done. It seems like the z4 doesn't do as well at the lowest height where as the 650s seems to handle it a lot better. What is the contributing factor to this? Is it aero stall or sus?

5. Aero stall - might be fine when acceleration but watch out for sudden losses of DF under braking. You may need to increase the spring rates to stiffen the car as to not have it stall.

6. What are the symptoms of aero stall? How do you recognize that it is happening wing app or feel?

7. You should feel it, though the Wing App will let you know for sure; You should experience a loss of front grip when the front wing is stalling, either when braking or at any other time if its that low.

On the app, look for the front wing CL value, and if you see it dropping drastically then you are probably stalling it, and you should increase the height or stiffen the front end. You can also monitor the GH value which is ground height, letting you know exactly how far off the ground it is.

8. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

The correction factor (cf) is not constant, so not always 0.25. It is higher for damping ratios >0.5
    -> 1.15-0.81=~ 0.34 (estimate)
    A formula for the cf is in the works.

deni80s and NetracingEurope.org like this.
  9. iVG

iVG Alien

Jeeeeesus Christ dude. You really think you're a messiah don't you. Be all know all efing mechanical aeronautical aerodynamical engineeer professor doctor of all sciences.

And to be frank - You probably are :) One thing missing from your posts tho - Give us a lap time for one of your gorgeous marvellous super quick and easy to drive at the same time setups mate, please so we can all appreciate the absolute beast that you are behind the wheel complimented by this immense knowledge of everything of yours. Please give us the numbers you're achieving so we can all drool behind you while helplessly reaching with hands through the windshield chasing your ghost car, trying to grab onto you all the way to orbit.

On a more serious note - give us some laps and replays mate.

FezzantPlucka likes this.
  10. He has been nothing but helpful and willing to share his knowledge and answer questions. I have seen nothing where he was condescending to anyone. Why does he need to show a laptime to prove that he understands car dynamics. What is the deal with the hate around here.

tumppuri and Jebus like this.
  11. Kade

Kade Hardcore Simmer

In case you didn't notice, we are discussing GT3 setups and car dynamics in this thread. I'm sure you'll find more appropriate threads to relief your frustration and flash your ego. Also here's the one most useful equation for you if everything else in this thread went over your head:

[​IMG]

Jebus likes this.
  12. iVG

iVG Alien

No egos. You confuse me with niki djakovic. Posting any kind of setup + tips + tricks is meaningless unless you provide the lap times achieved by it.

13. iVG

iVG Alien

I don't deny his knowledge. I admire it. I just wish he puts it to a good effect and do some laps with them. Unless he's setting the GT3s for comfort...
    Is it not the primary goal for a setup to provide better lap times?

14. You are a BIT right in a cynical way but lest use some sophistry and reason at the same time,can Vettels,Alonsos etc mechanics achieve the same lap time with them?If not how do we know they are good enough to set up the car or give solutions to the drivers?

Eduardo AuKiss likes this.
  15. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

lol that's some funny stuff

Good thing about smart people is they are errr smart(...) enough to likely not get offended or hurt by posts like these. No harm done I guess unless this turns this good thread into a ****storm.

Coanda likes this.
  16. iVG

iVG Alien

Haha no one is here for a storm man :) Honestly.

As for what @Nasos Charalampou said, REAL engineers work with REAL data which is undeniably real physics. Reality in which, drivers give feedback, engineers look at data, adjust, and the cycle starts over. In AC we work with our version of reality. I am the driver, I am the engineer, I am the one who determines what is best for me. If he understands it so well, cool! Really I am over the sky with this one. One more guy to learn from! But all he provided is naked setups and some wall of text of general tooltip knowledge sprinkled with some techie words like 'spring frequency' and 'transient recovery'...

I want to see this knowledge backed up because I see so many confused souls here listening to their guru. Like, running lowest ride height always? Really? @mclarenf1papa tried to say things like 'aero stall' but I think his voice got lost in the many.

This thread lack the 'scientific approach' in the realm of AC, which is, much like in real life - test, test and test again.

FezzantPlucka likes this.
  17. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

Hi everybody, I'd like to continue to discuss the relevant topics in this thread in a civil manner. Many others have provided help and know-how already and their involvement is appreciated. If somebody spots a mistake or can present proof to the contrary, I'll be happy to engage in a productive exchange.

@iVG
    As you can see one page prior, I've posted some laptimes and a replay. You'll welcome to check those out and compare them to your own if you wish to do so.
    In addition, these are from a short participation in an open champioinship over at simracing.org.uk on tyre model v7 back in August:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  18. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Thank you Georg. I really hope you continue to share your wisdom. As the cf formula is in "the works" will you provide this later on? In the meantime I will continue to tune my dampers via (ACTI) damper histograms. I'm ok with slow dampers however sometimes i get a little lost with the high speed dampers. One thing i have noticed is the GT2 damper ratios are very different to the GT3. For instance the front bump on the 458 is very high 1.5+ (i think by memory) and the rebound can not be set higher than the bump however when driving on track and looking at the histogram it suggests I am leaning towards rebound. I noticed in your op that dampers for this type of class should be set below critical dampening (<1). Why would this be very different for GT2? For me even with an extremely stiff rear end the damper histogram for the rear almost always looks soft on the 458.

Regarding lap times. Its funny I was given two GT4 setups by two very quick drivers (Marty & Bangus) which produced them equal lap times however they were setup completely different. Also looking at them in CE neither of them followed your advice. I guess you never really know ones hardware, controller setup & driving technique. Yes faster lap times is what we all seek however maybe a better balanced car through your methods will achieve better tyre life for longer races. Anyway, the thing I like about all this is the learning never stops and there are some very intelligent trained up people willing to help ;)

19. Georg Siebert

Georg Siebert Simracer

Yes, sure - a researcher who doesn't publish his/her results is not much of one.

Yes, GT2 cars have, not in a technical term, 'upside down dampers': a higher bump ratio than rebound. This is just a different way of setup design, teams in motorsports do this sometimes as well. With this design, the dampers act as a dynamic spring on compression - their response is dependant on the speed of activation. I haven't fully figured out the best approach to this yet - if you can provide the setup you're working on, we can look at it in more detail.

Would be interesting to look at their setups as well.

20. Jebus

Jebus Alien

What an utter bs. At times we should really have a dislike button here.

Keep it up @Georg Siebert , interesting stuff.

hazardic and liakjim like this.