1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How to deal with players who experience ping spikes

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mantasisg 2, Nov 3, 2016.

1. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I just ruined online race for everybody because of random ping spike. It was rather terrible because it was Lap 1 Turn 1. It was sad.

I wonder if there is a way to prevent ping spikes to cause collisions between cars.

If it is possible for program to know that player has high ping, then maybe pinged car could turn into non-physical object for several seconds. Like they are in the pits.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Red Bull Ring Ideal Line Bug Jan 30, 2024
    Multiplayer Bugs & Issues Ideal line and autoblip on server Jul 19, 2023
    General modding discussion How Can I Filter Out Dealership On Facebook Marketplace Easily? Nov 4, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Ideal Racing Line Jul 18, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer How to deal with troll? Aug 22, 2020
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds The ideal trajectory activates itself Aug 12, 2020
    ACC Gameplay Ideal Line Assist - it changes/updates color to late Jul 19, 2020
    ACC General Discussions What's the deal with CP servers now? Jul 17, 2020
    ACC Physics Tires resettign to ideal when pressing restart. (Tought it to be an issue - works as designed) Feb 15, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting Several ACC Issues and some deal breakers Feb 6, 2020
    ACC General Discussions How Aris deals with critics of ACC Sep 2, 2019
    ACC General Discussions SPA how to deal with T19 Jun 6, 2019
    ACC Gameplay Ideal line only on turns Jun 2, 2019
    ACC Virtual Reality Ideal configuration VR? Dec 15, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Just when you thought you knew what the ideal racing line was... May 31, 2018

3. Slamdrunken

Slamdrunken Racer

Don't fight inches for positions just fight meters. leave plenty space around you.

4. Rift Racer

Rift Racer Alien

Where is the fun in that lol?

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  5. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

6. Slamdrunken

Slamdrunken Racer

He ask about lag spikes.

7. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

When ping hits, then player car starts to warp all around the place, do you know that ? You don't make any sense.

8. evil_overlord

evil_overlord Simracer

If you're talking about the RSR on Silverstone 67 race, don't worry, you didn't ruin it for everybody. You clearing my way in Turn 1 actually worked out beautifully... :D :p

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  9. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Yes it was RSR Silverstone 1967 server, possibly it was me :D

I'm glad it was not bad for everybody lol

I remember at least two guys left the server instantly lol

I was disappointed by server management, it was clearly the case when race should have been restarted. Maybe there were no admins. Doesn't really matter now.

10. evil_overlord

evil_overlord Simracer

I would have expected the players to vote for a session restart in a case like that. But then again, it is surprising how often those votes don't go through even with that kind of carnage in Turn 1...

Anyway, back to the topic of lag spikes... I like the idea of "ghosting" a player's car during a lag spike, but only in combination with some sort of high ping autokick feature.
    So for example if you have a ping below 300 and get a lag spike, your car is turned into a ghost for a few seconds. If you permanently have a ping higher than 300, you get kicked rather than permanently ghosted, because otherwise you'd be able to just drive through all your opponents at will.

Unfortunately, I don't see a feature like that coming to AC in the foreseeable future.

11. Infectonator

Infectonator Racer

I would say that the car, apart from being invisible/non-physical object, should also be penalised by loosing 30%~50% of performance while it doesnt recover from ping instability.

12. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I don't know about that. It is already hard to keep up with other players with good performance, it is even harder to do while having high ping, maybe even impossible. But I'd agree with autokick when high ping lasts. But when you have ping over the top it becomes impossible to drive, you start changing your location (teleporting all over the place), or other cars does it. It doesn't make sense to continue racing if ping last longer. I have never had it for more than ~3-5seconds, but I have seen some players who keeps pinging all the time for whole sessions. Maybe autokick would be good.

I think it wouldn't be necessary, I don't think ping gives any advantage, does it ?

13. Infectonator

Infectonator Racer

Its not a matter of advantage. The problem is that a car flying around with high ping is a problem to others.

If you have high ping and latency issues its your problem only. go fix your connection.

Other drivers should not have to avoid/fight jumping cars like they are in a mine field.

If you loose your pace a little, other drivers should pass you with ease and safety.

14. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Infectonator - If you have high ping and latency issues its your problem only. go fix your connection.
    Me - Yes it is mine problem only, but when I splash half of the grid out, then the problem is shared. And ping spike can happen for anybody.

Infectonator - Other drivers should not have to avoid/fight jumping cars like they are in a mine field.
    Me - Yes they wouldn't have to avoid (whisch is sometimes imposible to do because it is just teleporting all over the place). So very logical solution is to make it non physical for other cars, like in pits.

Infectonator - If you loose your pace a little, other drivers should pass you with ease and safety.
    Me - Pace will not matter when teleporting everywhere around.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  15. I had a massive ping spike on the last race I had (911 RSR at Riverside...) - went from the usual 60-70 to like 500-1000 :eek: at the start line, so as soon as the race began I just pulled off to the side. I didn't want to get involved and ruin anyone's race.

Everyone got passed fine and once they were a good 10-15 seconds up the road I began racing again. After a lap or so my ping was normal and I could race again. Actually had a good race, being that car and track I was passing people all the time as they spun under braking :D Made it up to 1st around lap 12, then my gearbox went (my own fault). :p

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  16. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Nice experience ! You also reminded me to move steam fps count from right to left :D