1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Incentive for all players to increase their ratings

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by Max Doubt, May 1, 2019.

1. Max Doubt

Max Doubt Racer

It seems that the biggest challenge for any online rating system is to encourage it's utilisation. People want to join the fullest servers which are often unranked naturally as these are available to the maximum number of potential players and thus will usually fill up first.
    This could lead to a number of players with no regard to the ratings, with the consequence being that they will generally always have access to the busiest servers. In turn the general etiquette of these open servers will diminish.
    Is there a way to encourage safe driving for everyone, even those resigned to using open servers?

Some of my ideas;
    Limit grid numbers in unrated servers - players would need to achieve some rating to access larger grids.

Implement maximum ratings to unrated servers - safer drivers would be forced to use the rated servers and so these would become the most populated.

Dynamic ratings - allow servers a non static rating which can vary after a certain population is reached. Admins could use custom parameters to help attract players, then reward higher ratings with exclusive access once the grid is big enough.

Give priority access when an unrated server is full - allow the lowest ranked or rated drivers to be booted out of any full unrated server when any higher rated player tries to join. This could be made possible up to a specific time, 3 minutes remaining in quali for example. It would encourage all drivers to pay at least some heed to their ratings so as not to risk being expelled from full servers. Also new or dirty drivers would be best served to hone their skills elsewhere, either in single player or less populated servers. The longer such a server remained populated the cleaner it would become, rather than just attracting a rotation of unsafe drivers without regard for consequence. Anyone could still avoid being at risk by achieving a rating and not using open servers, or simply avoiding near full servers until they have a decent rating.

Any thoughts?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC General Discussions Penalties/Incentives May 10, 2019
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions How to change your players name? Apr 17, 2024
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions XBOX ONE ONLINE PLAYERS Dec 19, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Racing/Hotlapping against other players' ghost Dec 3, 2023
    ACC Multiplayer Two racist and toxic players no server Drink in Drive Oct 4, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions multiplayer players out of reach? Jul 22, 2022
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Fixed setup in multiplayers May 10, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions no multiplayer players Apr 18, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ps4 pro players..forgotten ? Feb 21, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Compare/Lap times with friends/players? Dec 9, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Kunos need a way to report players during a race Nov 28, 2021
    Console Lounge Looking for xbox players Jul 6, 2021
    ACC General Discussions Create achievements for players like what we have in COD Modern Warfare May 24, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Need players to my servers!!! May 11, 2021
    ACC Gameplay race position doesn't persist in results when players disconnect Feb 13, 2021

3. MakeMeLaugh

MakeMeLaugh Simracer

Errrr, no. You don't punish people because they don't wanna join the server you want.

Here's how you solve it. Ready?

Real Matchmaking. You select an event, the system automatically put players together with similar ratings.

Done.

Patrik, Echo_29, Son and 6 others like this.
  4. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Very good, my compliments. I share your analysis and every thought is reasonable.

5. BoinkTheBeaver

BoinkTheBeaver Simracer

Good ideas, I like 1st and 2nd, grid number limit and max SA. For beginners there would be more space with less drivers to learn, and more experienced drivers would be naturally steered towards higher SA requirement servers.

Arlo likes this.
  6. renato63

renato63 Racer

Hi,
    it seems to me very interesting the point 1, one could do for example:
    SA <= 50 max 10 pilots
    SA>50 max 14 pilots
    SA>60 max 18 pilots
    SA>70 max 22 pilots
    SA>80 max 26 pilots
    SA>90 max 30 pilots
    In this way beginners would start racing races where with few pilots the risk of accidents would be even smaller while the SA increases and the safer it is to run with prepared pilots especially with large grids.
    If I wasn't clear it's google translator's fault.

jc1993 and Arlo like this.
  7. Minolin

Yes that also was an idea of the late MR days, it solves so many thing without *that* much of a drawback. I mean I really have problems to follow the only counter-argument that would say "but I want race on 30 full car server without any help of the safety rating system".

The 2nd suggestion is a bit more critical, it had a huge impact on the total system quality, but would also cause lots of dissatisfaction because people are restricted very visibly. There shouldn't be any kind of penalty for having an excellent SA rating. There are mechanics in the system that act similar and try to solve the problem in a way more subtle way, but it's more about clever suggestion and building "hotspots" to fill up good servers, instead of saying "lol no you cannot join this server because you did well".

What I don't like is the last option (I mean I like it, but it's not a good thing to do), booting out drivers isn't a good thing, especially if they did nothing wrong (both on the track and the join decision).

MathMilitary and Max Doubt like this.
  8. Tim Wilson

Tim Wilson Simracer

Good stuff Max.
    I keep thinking that racing on an unrated server should not affect your rating. But if every server was open and didn't track driver performance there would be no need for the system.

It seems to me that if you make every server have at least some rating qualifications you would spread out the talent enough to give everyone a server to race on most of the time.

9. D.Jankovic

D.Jankovic Alien

This...

Or just make any server run by default lets say 50 SA requirements... so who ever wants to play online they will have to do couple of AI races to play multiplayer.

But it amazes me how people alwyas ***** about they want fair racing even on public servers you can read in chat people arguing all the time but they still would not go to SA rated server..

trasgu likes this.
  10. Coanda

Coanda Alien

Some good ideas mate however the issue for someone like me is my location. At best there is only ever 2 servers that I can join that have a decent amount of numbers and even then my ping is not so great so to limit this even more could be an issue for me. That is why I am very interested in the Ai development. To be honest in this EA phase I would have preferred to see a lot more servers that just had one lengthy practice session. Particularly at Monza. This tames the ego of many and you can still find a nice little battle from time to time if need be once you link up with drivers on your skill level. Even though I am guilty of this myself and when I do I am extremely cautious not to get in the way, I would certainly lock out drivers from joining a race once that has already started or joining qualifying in the last 30 seconds etc... For me this causes so many issues.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  11. BoinkTheBeaver

BoinkTheBeaver Simracer

Ah yes true, agree. I was only looking at the the point of view "how can we populate the servers with SA requirement".

Maybe we just need official server (or servers depending how the player count increases) with daily/weekly rotational track (zolder server has been great, but..). Some variation after the release please ;)

12. BoinkTheBeaver

BoinkTheBeaver Simracer

Dont we already have one? The system suggests you servers depending on your preferences and level. Just pick one of the first suggested! I think it works quite well already

Edit: and the best part: you have a choice, not forced to some automatically, can see where your friends are etc. Really like it

13. Minolin

Yeah, completely underrated element. Looking at a precise problem usually gives a bazillion of reasonable ideas how to improve it, but actually forgin this into a complete system takes a lot more headaches :D

Busted. I'll take care of that today

ignission, D.Jankovic and iVG like this.
  14. Luis Branco

Luis Branco Alien

I would add having special event servers or/and longer race sessions servers (1h and plus) with high SA (+80) required.

I don't agree with the priority access suggestion. First, what would be the rating used, SA, RC, CN, TO ? But still, no matter what rating used, just imagine a server, using SA as measure, for instance, where the lowest ranked driver is SA 90 and still is booted.

15. dave81983

dave81983 Racer

Couldn't agree more.

Project cars 2 has basically the same system as ACC and it didn't work. There were no populated servers with high safety rating, you had no choice but to play on the low ranked ones.

I really hope given all the advertising about matchmaking that version 1 or beyond includes real matchmaking and timed races (like GT sport, iRacing SRS). If it doesnt then I feel like "matchmaking" has been misadvertised. It's not matchmaking if the computer isn't doing the matching. Otherwise it's just a filtered server list like we have now.

16. MrGit@Twitch

MrGit@Twitch Hardcore Simmer

I find servers have a "tipping point" with the amount of users within.

Once you have 5-6 people on a server, then it's pretty guaranteed to fill as it attracts others, also having a regular time to race (like my evening streaming times) tends to create a pool of players... so, having regular events in 1.0 would definitely fill even the highest SA rated servers.

17. henkjansmits

henkjansmits Simracer

Indeed, that might help for now :).

Also the regular events, I have seen that mentioned by a lot of people and I haven't seen a response about why that cannot be implemented. Is this to do with the fact that you need special server infrastructure?

18. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

I don't know if drive with people with the same rating is correct. Is good if you found better driver or worst. In F1 there are Hamilton and Kubica. In moto Gp Marquez and Iannone. Is good only for SA. IMHO

19. dave81983

dave81983 Racer

Surely if SRS can do it as a mod with only a small amount of advertising revenue then it shouldn't be beyond the scope of possibility for kunos??

iVG likes this.
  20. iVG

iVG Alien

Agreed, a regular server settings refresh and a special event during busiest times (7-9pm) will bring more players than simply restricting servers. During my years with AC1 I've also noticed that the longer the race the better quality drivers it attracts. So it will be a fitting idea if open servers are 8-15minute races and 20m+ are SA restricted. Higher rated drivers will naturally want to move to higher rated servers because of race length and so on... Sounds better than simply booting innocent people.

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    chksix, D.Jankovic and Arlo like this.
  21. Atak_Kat

Atak_Kat Simracer

I'm intrigued by all the interesting comments and ideas here. Also the open comments of @Minolin which really show how much thought has gone into the system, as-it-is.

But I have to wonder if all the theory and 'rules' will have any real-world result, unless the number of on-line participants is quite large. Applying all these rules requires a reasonable large pool of players on-line at any time to be able to select from. Of course I hope for that, and I do understand it's still in EA, but I think it's yet to be seen. Just as example, I see approx 4000 entries in the special events. Yet, when I go to multi-player at what I assume are peak times (Europe, weekend, evenings), just rough counts, it looks like about max 80? people in multiplayer. That's about 2% (just using the special events entries as a guideline).

In order for all the fine-tuning to really work, the online players would really have to sky-rocket? To GT Sport levels? Which I certainly hope for, but I'm not really sure if that's realistic on PC, considering simracing isn't usually one of the most popular gaming genres.

I do understand the idea of 'if you build it, they will come...' But without console and cross-platform ability, I kinda wonder....

All said, personally, I think the existing system is absolute genius. Some fine tuning in progress for sure. But as it is, and even in EA still, the multiplayer quality is just miles ahead of any other option I've tried (granted, never tried iRacing).

Also, in my opinion, the track competence rating (the 3 stars) is probably one of the most important elements to the multiplayer quality. And, I would even suggest that the achievement of 3 stars is too easy. Or, perhaps it should be extended to more stars (i don't know.... 10?), which might require some sort of achievement when racing in AI races. Maybe some sort of Special Event race, where you have to finish it with certain conditions in order to gain further stars. Just ideas (all in an AI race, perhaps as a special event)
    - no setups allowed, just controlled conditions. Likely some sort of difficulty level though, which might then relate to more stars achieved if you achieve it.
    - making it through T1 Monza when mid-pack, without contact, on cold tires.... This one is so obvious to me, even on 50+SA servers.... Number one issue is the 2nd half of the grid blazing into T1 not realizing their tires are cold!
    - passing X number of cars during the race
    - the race might be pre-conditioned to have some better AI driver behind you, working their way through the pack. So you need to understand that at some point you need to reasonably give way (and the idea would be that this is pre-programmed somehow that the AI will only pass in a corner, not on a straight...). When it happens, would need to be random though, so you could not just 'restart' and anticipate when it was going to happen.
    - maybe higher stars might require no TC/ABS. Just to recognize some achievement re car control in those situations.
    - adding eventually weather conditions with all the above might be another achievement level.
    - etc. I'm sure there are lots of ideas. The point is that the players comprehension of the track, together with various conditions, is a very very important part of what we might expect from a driver in multiplayer (of course, not a guarantee, but certainly an idea)

Just throwing it out there on top of all the other interesting ideas here.