1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Interesting tyre heat model

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by PhilS13, Apr 9, 2016.

1. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Interesting dunlop tyre temp video Nov 12, 2014
    ACC Online Leagues / Championships room EASTERNS Racers | Our goal is to provide clean, interesting single races and events. Feb 28, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Interesting plan from Porsche using Assetto Corsa Feb 11, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Interesting find about AI strength in championship mode Oct 31, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Spinning -- Interesting Problem Possibly Resolved Jul 1, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Interesting new series on youtube Feb 20, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Interesting tidbits on Cobra 427 Jan 26, 2018
    Screens & Videos This is interesting Oct 16, 2017
    XBox One Discussions Interesting reflection. Jun 20, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Interesting PC update (plus DLC) due May 18th May 13, 2017
    Chit Chat Room I guess implementing of vive VR should be more interesting than i expected.. Mar 2, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Controller settings INTERESTING !!!!! Feb 17, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Interesting new fantasy track for AC (Toscana) Nov 10, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Some interesting stats on current VR state Sep 7, 2016
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Highlights v0.1: Log interesting moments in race by pressing a hotkey Sep 3, 2016

3. Nao

Nao Alien

Needs more likes!

Started to dig into the 170+pages of the several pdf's in that link ... pretty juicy stuff in some places, viscoelastic comparison between street tyre and GT one is pretty interesting :D
    I'm really curious if the fig 7 on the second link (An Evolved Version of Thermo Racing Tyre...) has Y axis of the same range for each series. That would indicate that inner lining and bulk temperatures were almost always above surface temps, even during mild braking/cornering for the test. (Would confirm some of my ideas/calculations/random sources tidbits lel :p)

Also, what would be more impactful for AC physics (in wide range): wear influencing ROLLING_K or FRICTION_K ? ... i feel like wear cooling is a pretty big part of over the limit grip/temperature relation.

PhilS13 likes this.
  4. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

I have only quickly browsed through the PDFs. Going to fully go through them over the week.

I have no problem believing bulk/inner is always higher than surface once everything (brakes!) is up to temps. We don't have brake heat going into tyres so I guess AC needs to compensate for it by using exagerrated ROLLING_K. My understanding is that ROLLING_K goes straight to core and FRICTION_K goes into surface. I might be wrong on that but if I'm not tyre wear should bring lower ROLLING_K values.

I was also told by a real life data-rich person(you know who you are) that surface and bulk/inner are much more isolated from each other in real life than what we see in AC.

Nao and sacredaardvark like this.
  5. Nao

Nao Alien

Most likely yes, although idk how big the change would be... Going a bit further a feature of (prob.) similar significance would be change in temperature oscillation range due to lowered heat capacity (missing rubber) - tyres would cool and heat up faster, which could be a cool detail too.

As for the FRICTION_K, since the bulk of the surface heating is caused by shear of surface layers of rubber, the heat goes both to the part that is staying on the tyre and the part that is left on track. With more slippage there would be more heat in the surface layer and with it's shear strength going down, the hottest part of the rubber would be more easily shed and left on track - not only increasing wear speed but also not allowing the slip generated heat to transfer to inner parts of the tyre in full (kind of like in ablation heat shields) compared to current heat model.
    I have no data on that, but it i bet it could give a bit more depth to grip while sliding/overdriving a tyre.

I'm faaar from being data rich but that is what i've read too :)

PhilS13 likes this.