1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Kunos tracks outside of europe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Enforcer-J, Mar 10, 2015.

1. All I know is that after years of playing multiple games that had Laguna Seca in them, and each one's version was slightly different than every other one, it was awesome to play on a laser scanned version in iracing and know that every corner radius, track width, elevation change, and straightaway length was as accurate and true to life as possible. Then going back to a non scanned version, even one that is modeled very accurately, and feeling like you are driving on a billiard table instead of a road surface with tiny bumps and undulations really hammered home just how much more immersion scanning the track adds.

The Moose and Mogster like this.
  2. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Silverstone laser-scanned vs non-lasor makes the difference for the better. But rF2 came close to it, though pcars feels really odd on some corners.

3. Turk

Turk Alien

That's quite possible. :D It's still a good marketing tool.

It also gives an excellent base for Kunos to work from. It could be the case that they've got way more detail than they could cram into a game and as the game ages they can bring out more and more detailed versions of the tracks when computers can handle it. There's also the point I keep coming back to in that it's a definitive version. It can't get more accurate, there can be few arguments about whether this corner or that corner is right, we're reduced to arguing about the exact position of a bush instead.

4. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Honestly, I would be a little miffed if they provided more extremely common tracks. That we already have things like Silverstone and Monza frustrate me a little, since what attracted me to Kunos in the beginning was content like Magione, Vallelunga, and now the 3 variations of the Nurburgring that improve on the far-too-common Nordschleife found in most other games. I'm happy about Zandvoort in the future, Barcelona--again, another very common track. I know they are probably trying to reach out to the kinds of tastes console gamers already have, but these tracks are so common that further common tracks don't set AC apart any more...the physics engine sets the game apart, why not the cars and tracks too? If anything, I'd like to see Snetterton, Nogaro, the Lotus test track, etc. Bringing new tracks to prominence in a simulator is a great way to introduce new tendencies in the racing genre, something sorely needed.

Regarding laser scanning...let me tell you, it IS the difference. I've raced so many games I've lost count, numerous versions of certain tracks...even the most faithful tracks don't compare to laser scanning, especially with the correct FOV in your settings. Also, side by side comparisons of the real track with Assetto Corsa's version is the real proof. Again, correct use of FOV in the game with the real comparison completely validates why the only option is laser scanning. Real drivers have confirmed that AC's track modelling is quite superb...and must be we reminded that for almost a year RSR Nurburgring has been using Kunos' Ring as a training tool...FURTHER PROOF. Would RSR use just anything? Are they using ProjectCARS tracks?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

The Moose and andrea_gi like this.
  5. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I'd like to see some less common tracks as well, but places like Bathurst, Suzuka and Le Mans will rake in the $$$ from casual gamers.

6. ouvert

ouvert Alien

exactly ...

and judgement based on video comparison ? dont be silly

even this:

well made non laser scanned won`t feel worse, it just won`t be that accurate it terms of surface .. and knowing that in your head it feels like you are missing something .. but if I tell you that it is scanned .. you will be happy panda ... I`m for scanning by all means .. as long as Kunos have resources to bring us those tracks .. if not I`ll settle with high quallity hand made based on data gathered with other metods ..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. Radiantm3

Radiantm3 Hardcore Simmer

Not sure if you have real driving/racing experience, but I disagree completely. My huge interest in sims comes from the fact that the cars behave extremely close to real life. In fact, I drive the best in sims (specifically Assetto Corsa) right after I get back from spending time on the real track. Laser scanned tracks are very important for anyone who spends time lapping in real life as well. There are plenty of sims out there with dozens of non-laser scanned tracks out there and not so realistic physics to choose from. Assetto Corsa sticks out from the rest for being as realistic as they can possibly make it and that's THE reason why I am so in love with this sim.

8. ouvert

ouvert Alien

nope no racing exp .. just dozen years of every day driving with variety of cars .. only one car present in AC though .. extremely close is still far from real and not in contradiction to what I`ve said .. espcially in low speed and when that physics is represented by FFB .. it is close when you are within limits but I can tell that saving slide in 100km/h in real car doesn`t feel anything like in sim and there is no way I could save that in sim :) ..
    Argue is about fact that if I put you on laserscaned track and no laserscanned version of that track .. layout and elevation will be the same, bumps will be on the same areas (jsut not scanned on one version), roadfeel is there, basically different in some nuances .. and you have never been on that track, there is no way you can tell which one is scanned and which is not .. so if I give you two options: don`t have Road America, or have very accurate version of Road America obvious answer to me is the latter one ..

9. Tom 00

Tom 00 Simracer

The fact that the tracks are laser scanned and inch perfect is a massive plus in my book. The only way to build a track from now on, imho.

Turk, victor86 and Mogster like this.
  10. Radiantm3

I find it far easier to drift/save slides in real life than in sims because you get more feedback in real life. Assetto Corsa comes the closest in feel to me.

11. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Sorry. Well made is well made, not laser scanned. And how can you know they won't feel "worse" unless you've driven the real thing to know what you are missing? Ah ignorance is bliss!!!! Nothing any modeller can ever do can equal the kinds of data point cloud technology affords. Ever wonder why professional companies use point cloud, and not the kind if techniques used in the making of other tracks? Because of accuracy. Again, if you can't tell the difference, either the FOV in the game was not set correctly, or you haven't been to some of these tracks to actually see just how close laser reproductions are. It doesn't seem you read a single thing I said, just took a snippet of what you didn't like to defend something that's baseless. Granted, nothing wrong with other tracks, but this thread is about adding new tracks and the aspect of laser scanning. IMHO, people complain about point cloud for one reason: they want more circuits and are dissatisfied with Kunos' explanation that, due to the expenses of point cloud and involvement in the process, few tracks will be made and some tracks won't appear at all. Which is why I said: there are other racing games.

On another note: I would love to see AC stay exclusively European. iRacing's adding Imola, Monza, now they're going to run to the Ring to be like Kunos...not cool. Granted, it's great news for Kunos...they're making moves that other teams see and want to imitate. However, this does not encourage exclusivity or distinctiveness between games for me the consumer. I personally do NOT want to see a single pixel of Laguna, or Bathurst, or any such tracks. Same thing I thought when they released SPA. APart from it being the latest layout, it is in endless games. AC's claim to fame is the potential to do all kinds of things that have not been done before. I hope they keep this philosophy and don't go gallivanting around trying to be like iRacing and scan COTA or somesuch circuit.

12. Radiantm3

Why limit to Europe? There's no point in that. They should be adding the finest, most enjoyable racetracks in the world that's realistic for their budget.

13. Quffy

Quffy Alien

I think the task can be more difficult to drift in a realistic driving game, because your vision and body feel is quite limited compared to real life. If you don't know well the steering technique and throttle application, then you'll be like me and turn the car side ways too much. Either I need to increase the fov, or use a head tracking device (or could even try real head motion app to see how drifting would work).

14. Radiantm3

Exactly. And once you get good at drifting in a sim like AC, doing it in real life gets much easier. That's why I think blending real life and sim driving together really helps you improve as a driver.

victor86 likes this.
  15. ouvert

ouvert Alien

again .. exactly ... trying to argue you are proving my point ;)

In other words .. I bet you if Kunos would make track without scanning at tell you it is scanned you`ll be happy driving on new "laserscanned" Okayama for example :)
    Or vice versa if Kunos will come clean with statement that they didn`t get permission to scan Imola and it is hand made ...

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  16. Turk

Turk Alien

I think since iRacings nords is so close that they probably had their own plans to make the nords anyway but I'm sure Kunos lit a fire under them and they're probably ahead of any schedule they had.

That's just crazy talk. :p I can see what your saying about being distinctive but as with real world racing you need to have some fundamental tracks in the game so that it can have longevity in leagues and such. DLC and mods allow Kunos to have an exclusive edge by modding the game into something other than it's base parts, in the same way arma became dayz I can see a few concepts where Assetto corsa could be modded into a different game. I'd love to see a police chase mod where you have an open map, certain locations are places to rob and you have to make it from there to an exit point without getting stopped by other players playing police.

I don't see Assetto Corsa as being in direct competition to iRacing either. I think they're two very different products with their own advantages. iRacing is a service as much as anything, the ongoing rating system is their trump card and I don't really see anyone, Kunos included, trying to compete with iRacing at that level.

17. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I think I remember them saying that if we can front the flights, its a deal (Bathurst).
    The creator of VHR is here on the forums. FYI
    ~Bailey

18. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien