1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

My unbiased honest review for AC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lunatic!, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Lunatic!

Lunatic! Rookie

Hi there! I don't usually post much around here, but I do often read interesting threads.

I just wanted to share with the community here, my updated 2017 review for Assetto Corsa and hopefully receive some (positive/negative) feedback from you guys.

CLICK HERE FOR THE LINK
    (Steam review)

I would love to hear what you guys think about it. Every opinion will be well received, regardless if we disagree at any point.

The reason behind this:

*I've recently noticed and increasingly number of negative reviews for AC on steam, and I started reading them, out of curiosity. A very few of them actually seemed legit. But, what actually caught my attention is that most of them were not only 'overly harsh', but for the most part purposely misinforming other people with very ignorant statements on their reviews. I wont go into details, as you can read those yourself if you like, and after all, an opinion is an opinion... but honestly, I would consider those just random people trolling.

Because of this I actually took the time to update my very short and outdated Early Access review, I did back in the day. Simply because I felt that AC deserved my updated and unbiased honest opinion about where it's at today. So people, mainly newcomers, can actually be well informed before making the decision to purchase (or not) AC as their go-to SIM.

That's it guys.

Thank you for reading, and please excuse my English if you happen to find any mistakes in my writting.

Cheers from Argentina!

Fer.-

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions My honest opinion on ACC after switching from XsX to PC Jul 16, 2022
    ACC General Discussions A Really Honest Talk About ACC Pricing in Brazil [505 - REPORTED TO PUBLISHER] Jul 23, 2020
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Honestly...it's SUPER also on Consolle! Jul 14, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Punishment for dishonest Jan 20, 2020
    ACC General Discussions Eurogamer's honest review Jun 20, 2019
    Console Lounge Lack of Communication and Honesty (Again) Mar 31, 2017
    Console Lounge Lack of Communication/Honesty Feb 7, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Well, let's be honest, there are better driving simulators than AC. Dec 6, 2016
    Chit Chat Room Is it time to be honest and critical about ac? Mar 13, 2015
    Troubleshooting - Workarounds Lots of crashes after 1.0.3 update (it always crashes to be honest) Oct 21, 2014

3. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

AC Steam recent reviews still Very Positive, despite 82% is a bit lower than all-time 87% positive.

Wondering why lower ratings now, sim has been improving all the time, with V10 tyres, updates and free contents. Maybe the growing library of DLC looks fishy for someone new who knows nothing about the development span and years it took. But even those packs are very affordable. Or maybe some people imagined the multiplayer will be like in iRacing. But 82% is still good rating, and it's just from 30 days.

And pretty nice review. Although I didn't find setting up AC that much trouble. Also even the best night/late evening mods are kinda silly imo, because without headlights driving them feels... silly :D

Edit: Actually for comparison, 87% all time is very good.

GTA5 which got 96 in Metacritic (no PC game has higher than that) http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/grand-theft-auto-v

http://store.steampowered.com/app/271590/ Only 81% positive all-time in Steam reviews. So according to Steam users, AC is better game :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Lunatic! likes this.
  4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Yes, this is the problem here.

What they don't understand (or don't want to understand) is that AC is not the typical DLC game.
    By "typical DLC game" I mean the sort of game where the devs released a crippled version of the actual game and then expect customers again to pay for the rest.
    For AC, the DLC approach is just the possibility to extend the lifetime of this game further so that it can be further improved. It's there to justify the ongoing development costs.

But if you don't know that or you don't want to accept it, then you might get the wrong perception of what AC is.

Basically, AC's DLC approach just isn't for everyone. I love it, though. :)

aphidgod, arthur666, Vel and 3 others like this.
  5. If you can't win races by bouncing off trackside barriers at 150mph, then it's obvious that there will be complaints :p

6. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

I think it's a very good review - agree with the previous posters comment about wheel setup - I just used the in game g27 profile and its easypeasy.

I like the part where you mention your racing background and how you rate this title in comparison to others - think that perhaps you should start your review with this info - as it adds some weight to your opinions (and most gamers may not get that far into a detailed review :( ).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Lunatic! likes this.
  7. Salad Fingers

Salad Fingers Simracer

EA called, they want their NFS copy back.

Lunatic! and Tberg like this.
  8. agrip 2

agrip 2 Gamer

I like your review except for one thing, and it is a BIG (in the real world smal) thing.

AC is a GAME! A game that simulates driving a car.

When i was racing rc-cars (Mugen mbx-5T) alot of IMHO dorks always insisted "these are not toys"! Ofcource they are toys, (or maybe sporting equipment), they are expensive yes, they are not meant for young people yes, but they are still meant to HAVE FUN WITH, (except for the 0.0001% that get payed to race pro). Dont kill me on facts get the point...

You are supposed to have fun when playing AC (@Lordkunoz @Aristotelis correct me if am wrong on this) and that by default makes it A GAME. Doesnt matter if its hard, realistisc or.....

Liked your review and continou to have fun playing the best, hardest racing simulation GAME ever!

Cheers!

Ps. English doesnt go well with swedish autocorrect...

mistery, Rosko, PromasZanda and 2 others like this.
  9. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Yeah, lot of complaints lately on reviews. But look at the people that reviews it, most of them with less time in AC than I can down my morning coffee. And, then recently reading those that just can´t support a certain devs response and don´t buy AC. That´s a loss for both them and Kunos, but hey, some people choose to be ignorant regardless of facts, truth and whatever.

Cote Dazur and Lunatic! like this.
  10. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Stuff like this line from a recent review:
    Like I said initially, no sound/music either, except for when I click a button in the main menu.
    Then the guy rate it not recommended 0.5h in, like dozens of reviews lately.

Cracks me up :D:p

I also commented, sober, on a review, questioning why the user would use video comparison to claim something. My comment was just deleted.
    So, it´s kindda sad that STEAM actually offers this kind of biased and manipulated form of reviews and comment sections.

Racing_34, Lunatic! and Fat-Alfie like this.
  11. Lunatic!

Lunatic! Rookie

Thank you guys for all your feedback. I really appreciate it!

I agree. I thought the same about the DLCs maybe 'scaring' newcomers, as they are often taken as a bad sign. Although I actually feel they are justified within ACs story-line and when taking into consideration the very reasonable price and the opportunity to keep supporting Kunos for even more future content. (They were all instant buys for me BTW. Love them.)

Again, absolutely agree. We are all on the same page.

In consumers defense I must say, that 95% or more of Early Access titles are terrible. There is a trending practice of EA titles selling their promises, where devs abandon ship when reaching their financial goals, projects that are entirely left behind or that remain in EA stage for multiple years without meaningful updates.

AC is actually one of the very few exceptions to this trend. It might even be the only EA title I've seen that made it to its release and actually tried to keep up with the development agenda and finished it's process successfully without letting down their followers (Although they did make me wait for the official HTC Vive support, shame on you Kunos :p, totally worth the wait tho) <3

The infamous NFS & Burnout stigma. Those filthy peasants... :p

I used the default in-game profile for a time with my g27 as well. FFB was acceptable for the most part, track detail was fine, and I did feel connected to the road. But, I had the very tipical and (noticeable) center dead zone problem that annoyed me, even when trying to compensate with minimum force tweaks. (Maybe the years of abuse my wheel has made this even worse) Nevertheless, the LUTgenerator was the solution to all my problems in that regard. And only after the LUT, I found my self trully comfortable disabling the artificial effects. I mean, the FFB forces were so much smoother in their delivery for me, after the LUT, that I could actually feel the tyres response now, without the over exaggerated artificial effects. (That are often needed in lesser quality wheels)

jaxx_za and Orne like this.
  12. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

Most (not all) of the negative reviews seem legit to me:

Someone complains about Casillo and his attitude, and he is right about the fact that he has almost no education in customer care;

Some complain about DLC yes, but regarding multiplayer, which is an absolutely justifiable complain! No DLC, no game. Even with your friends if they mismatch;

Some complain about controls and random crashes, which is legit as AC is the "you got a dual core? Well upgrade to a quad" sim. I cannot put down the number of times they screwed something just for them to say "well it works on this hardware, buy/use that instead";

Some complain about graphics or sound, which we also know are not top notch in AC. Whether you like them or not goes down to personal preference. I like them, but I respect the opinion of who doesn't;

Some complain about the lack of regulamentation in the online department, which is something that just now they are seeming to acknowledge and trying to cure;

And so on..
    I dislike the attitude of "whoever thinks it differently from me is wrong". Try to be more open minded and understand his/her reasons and why he/she says what he/she's trying to say. It might be a troll, it might be not. Copernicus was the only one to say the earth isn't flat, nowadays he would have been branded as a troll.

As for the OP, I appreciate what you did. Nice review. A bit too cheesy, but good overall ;)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Rosko, Berry, _Fulgore_ and 2 others like this.
  13. Lunatic!

Lunatic! Rookie

I understand your point! I think having fun comes naturally when you do what you love.

One could also say that even real racing is a 'game'. A potentially deadly one, if I may add... But the possibility of imminent death only adds to the joy :'3

Everything depends on how you choose to see it. Subjectively speaking, everything else could also be ultimately interpreted as a game. War, love, the cosmic balance of the universe, life it self? :p

Yeap, sad but true! Reviewing a title like AC with so much content and things to try and explore in less than an hour is hilarious, not to say ridiculous.

I also got a lot of my comments erased from reviews similar to that one. Even got blocked in one of them recently, after the reviewer run out of responses to justify its own ignorance and first accused me of being an undercover 'dev' and then a 'fool' simply because I disagreed with the review... It's pretty funny seeing people reacting to disagreement as a personal attack, so desperately running around their own tails trying to prove themselves right on matters they don't even understand to begin with.

Also, the comment section of those reviews is a nest for haters to gather and vomit their frustration. It seems to be easier for them to operate that way.

paulieGTR and chksix like this.
  14. Lunatic!

Lunatic! Rookie

Thank you for you feedback!

Everyone is entitled to have their own opinion, for sure. I have no problem to respect a disagreement. It's just that, people often transform that into a personal attack, and everything scales badly from that. What could be and enlightening discussion for everyone, ends up being a complete off topic nonsense, because someone was either too sensitive to accept a disagreement or too offended by the fact that they are called wrong in a matter.

paulieGTR, mantasisg 2 and leon_90 like this.
  15. leon_90

leon_90 Hardcore Simmer

You are right in that @Lunatic! I believe the problem relies in the fact that today we have this very powerful tool of communication which is the internet but we aren't yet educated enough to properly use it, from both sides

paulieGTR, Lunatic! and mantasisg 2 like this.
  16. LetsTestDrive

LetsTestDrive Simracer

One thing to note is that it's the highest rated racing title on steam. With that fact placed aside, a lot of the negative reviews I've read all point out to two valid gaps/holes/issues I agree with:

1. A lack of captivating career mode/game progression leading towards a goal/reward/target. Currently you can jump into the fastest road car in the game. This is essentially like playing a non racing title and being given all end game components.

2. Multiplayer issue with not being able to join servers unless you own all DLC content found on the server. For someone simply buying the base game to test the waters and get their feet wet, this is a huge negative. Project Cars doesn't have this issue. iRacing doesn't have this issue.

BBernes, Lunatic! and leon_90 like this.
  17. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

How is AC unfriendly to newcomers ?

I don't think that AC car setup is hard to use, just don't touch things you don't understand, go to intenet learn about them, there is plenty of info in these forums, Aristotelis is doing great series to help people to understand the car. Learning to understand the car is huge part of this game.

paulieGTR, Jebus and Cote Dazur like this.
  18. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

I get you, but I think it goes a little deeper. The type of person that gets enjoyment out of AC is also the type of person who is looking for a realistic approximation of actual racing. And for him/her, it doesn't matter whether there is a career mode or not, as the take away is learning something about how real cars behave, and are tuned.

On the other hand, those that arent happy seem to be coming from an arcade racer background, who are more concerned about trophies and similar forms of gratification. It doesn't matter to them that the makers of AC also make real world simulators for vehicle manufacturers.

Personally, I cannot stand arcade racers - seem pointless to me regardless of the career modes / trophies, yet I'll spend hours with a single car / track combination in AC practice mode trying to improve my lap times. Now this is my idea of fun and

19. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

edit, nvm

20. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

I do hope Kunos could reconsider their policy on PC multiplayer DLC content. So that players could join servers with cars they don't own, just not drive it. Like consoleros can

But yes, everyone's idea of fun is different. AC and similar mostly appeal with their realism and analyzing things, not chasing virtual trophies and fanfares. Better career would be nice, but non-essential

mistery likes this.
  21. jaxx_za

jaxx_za Hardcore Simmer

Granted. I'm only competent in the M235 racing and MX5, on Silverstone international and Brands Hatch. By competent, I mean that I can beat AI at 98% and keep up mostly at 100%.

I'm just starting to learn Spa, but it is not a very forgiving track - too slow out of a turn and I'm punished on the stretch.

So yes, I have spent hours in practice mode on Brands / Silverstone.

paulieGTR and kofotsjanne like this.