1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

My unbiased honest review for AC

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Lunatic!, Apr 22, 2017.

1. ouvert

ouvert Alien

ooh there were times where I couldn`t play for a year or so due the FFB issuess :) .. now it is plug and play and awsome and with tyre models still improving and features being added .. good times :)

2. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

Even, if I would provide proof on the table you will deny it. But, I know you're secretly denying that fact.

3. Mogster

Mogster Alien

If someone's driving is so bad they're struggling to keep their car on track then tyre temps and pressures will be all over the place. I really don't see how they can adjust anything on that basis and by messing with stuff they'll probably cause themselves more handling issues.

What's needed are consistent lap times and they only come with the boring stuff, practice, practice and more practice. When you're driving reasonably consistently then you can start to look at basic setup stuff. I really don't think the default setups are that bad, the one change I'd suggest is gearing, but in the road cars that's not available anyway.

4. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

It would be useful to know about ideal pressures, cambers and gearing right from beginning. Right after learning how to use H-Shifter, pedals and getting natural with steering wheel. Or getting natural with analog controller, some does use it...

Would help to avoid some hard rookie times...

But you are right @Mogster first of all rookie has to be able to keep car on the road at least in medium pace. Default setups are not bad. But not for full pace.

Mogster likes this.
  5. An alien driver using a default setup on a 'normal' track will still run several seconds a lap faster than an average driver that is using the worlds best setup.

Kristaps, BrandonW77, mms and 5 others like this.
  6. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

I am denying not secretly the fact that I'm secretly denying the fact that I would deny the proof that you would put on that mysterious table. I would love to know more about that table.

I wonder if the rookies getting into motorsport get a shiny guide on how to go fast....if one thinks AC is unfriendly to learn he should try going to a real life lapping session. Not only you have to figure things out by yourself you often get "advice" by a ****load of people who don't even know better than you.

There is this non-sense idea that simracers have about motorsport that the people who are good at it got there only because some guru took a couple of hours with them, showed all them juicy secrets and voila, they were now fast. It's not how it works.

I don't think iRacing comes with a manual on how to setup camber & pressures. LFS didn't. I have no idea why AC is seen as that sim who should hand-feed you that stuff.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Berry likes this.
  7. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

Use Alien with forced default vs averages drivers with optimal setup with the F138. I'm pretty sure the average driver will win not even trying.

8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@MrDeap why don't you open your own thread with your theory on how set up is the be all of speed in SIM racing, and leave this one alone, so we can discuss what the OP was talking about.

9. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

Why do you guys keep lying?
    [​IMG]

My only focus is to clear the special events & there's quite a difference using an optimal setup in all of those.

10. Huge difference between an alien simracer and an alien level AI, especially now since the AI is somewhat broken/slow.

11. Brownninja97

Brownninja97 Alien

Back when i was achievement hunting I didnt know much about setups, I just turned off fuel usage, set the fuel to 1 in the setup and made the gears shorter and called it a day
    Very true, I can beat alien AI and im not classified as fast, I barely ever win races online.

Another example is compare alien AI with the time attack events, theres quite a different, for the most part ALIEN AI will not get gold or silver in some cases for those events. Well the current ones at least.

12. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

@PhilS13 I was somehow not talking about AC working things out for you, no... I'd hate if problem solving aspect would be taken away. I've been playing more than a year till I found about ideal pressures mod app, soon after that Kunos introduced this into default tire app. And it is perfect now. I have no idea why it took so long for me to get a focus on probably most basic setup element...

I was more about community being helpful and helping to solve problems, sharing knowledge. So then there we have more quality close bumper2bumper racing :D I'm not saying that every advanced player should start teaching every single newcomer. But if anyone would ask "why I'm slow", first advices should be gearing, ideal pressures and cambers. Not only "practice more, keep trying". Which is also right thing to do haha

Another nice example being slow with high downforce cars, probably most common mistake is using downforce in wrong way, loosing it in mid corner. It would be very friendly to remind others to keep that in mind. And so on, just a little hint in chat, not a full lecture about aerodynamics.

But it is custom for a lot of faster guys to keep stuff for themselves, like if they were in a serious league, and last thing they would want - faster opponents. By the way, I don't think that it is exactly unfriendly, but it is not friendly either.

Ace Pumpkin likes this.
  13. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

afaik tyre pressures have not always made such a big difference as it is now, it was added in a couple of patches ago.

14. PhilS13

PhilS13 Alien

Ah I thought we were talking about the line in the review that AC is unfriendly and what followed. I agree about the community part.

But I think the community has been sharing a lot of setup info, not just sharing setups but knowledge. Hell I am even sharing most of that stuff in a quite competitive league. It's just not formatted in a "welcome" guide but it's out there.

The gap in knowledge is harder to fill than most assume with forum talk. Most think there is one simple answer to every setup problem and look for that, there isn't and they don't like the answers they are getting. I know for a fact most people run way too much camber in AC because they have been told it was the fastest way. Only because "in general" more camber from default is good doesn't mean it's best for every car and those universal simplifications that people want so much end up being wrong on a lot of cars, especially race cars. Same with ride height.

What would you put in a beginner's guide? "In general, it's a good idea to increase camber and lower the car, but it depends. Try to learn about it on forum, but not all the time because sometimes some people share wrong info". Ok. Thanks?

15. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

The "max out camber" advice only was given for street cars, at least by Aris.
    If you do this on full spec race cars, your botched.;)

PhilS13 likes this.
  16. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

:D Yeah exactly that. I might have interpreted OP's review line in wrong way.

I might not be right about community either... It could be that thing, I don't know how it is called, when you learn a new word you never knew before and you start to hear it frequently from that time on.... So it is same for technical info, it might be frequently being mentioned around, but you'll not really going to catch it till you get acquainted with it once, or grab the end of the string and start pulling towards the core and everything starts to make sense from that certain point.

Community might have been alright all the time, it might have been just me being too ignorant. Talking all the time "me"... "I"... but that could be applied to many of us, I'm sure :D

Edit: just quick googling

It is this phenomenon, damn interesting.

https://www.damninteresting.com/the-baader-meinhof-phenomenon/

PhilS13 and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  17. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

bit hard to give a positive review when offline half of the game is useless because of crap AI

Rosko likes this.
  18. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Well, I heard through the grapevine, a major ai update is in the pipeline. Multi Class racing in particular.
    But, the ai, in single class is not that bad. At least if you are not at alien speed.
    But yeah, always ways to improve.

Mogster likes this.
  19. plaid

plaid Alien

I read that too, but I don't see how its worth all the time and effort with the rather small amount of cars. I mean you can have multiclass races with 24 or even less cars, but I instantly think of more popular races like the VLN, the WEC, Bathurst and the 24h series (Hankook?) with far bigger grids - which really helps to keep a certain density and action if the field spread later in the race. While that also makes pitsharing necessary.

Anyway...
    Useless crap is pretty harsh. The AI gratefuly rarely bumps into me but is rather boring to race compared to some other sims. I think you can hardly say they were very exciting to race against.
    Also the presentation that can make racing games far more interesting - for those who care, duh - which is .... not so good in AC.
    Speaking about multiclass the featureslist ist also not impressive. There are enough reasons to not like AC and give it a bad rating.
    Hm...Thinking about it the average buyer maybe doesn't know about mods or don't download them. There some great mods that make AC far more interesting. Don't know how a company could make it more prominent to the average player. Suggestion on the first menu screen could help.
    Also a driving school can help. And: Handbooks are useful (...so I don't need to seach in a wiki how the freaking leveling works dear developers of Dark Souls : /)

20. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

Workshop for mods would help.