1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

People with a wheel, how good is it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Hysteria, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Hysteria

Hysteria Gamer

I've been debating on picking up a steering wheel for this game, but before I throw down $200+ (logitech g27) I just have a question.

Is having a steering wheel really that great? I dont know if me wanting one so bad has clouded my judgement, but I'm imagining a perfect gaming experience. With my price point, I am not expecting a true 1:1 driving experience. I'm just worried that I will be let down because I imagine it being so perfect.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering Wheel skipping first 10% Mar 30, 2024
    ACC Hardware Discussions Problem with G29 steering wheel Mar 17, 2024
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Better FFB in ACC for low-medium range wheels? Dec 10, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it possible to hide steering wheel on XSX? Nov 26, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Faantec DD1 wheel oscillates through turns Nov 4, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Xbox steering wheel support Aug 9, 2023
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues Strange bheavior on Sterling wheel Jul 31, 2023
    Physics Bugs & Issues Strange steer wheel behiavor Jul 31, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Invisible steering wheel/driver and greyed out button Jul 23, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Bentley GT3 Animated steering wheel not moving Jun 23, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions ACC doesn't recognise G29 wheel Jun 4, 2023
    ACC Hardware Discussions I've about given up on my Thrustmaster TX wheel ever being seen by ACC :( Jun 4, 2023
    ACC Controls & Peripherals v1.9 Game fps decrease at 0 fps when I turn on the steering wheel May 11, 2023
    ACC Physics [1.9] 4 wheel drifts have no FFB Apr 23, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Ferrari 296 steering wheel animation Apr 20, 2023

3. Liz

Liz Rookie

Best **** ever. The End.

4. Although not perfect, we are sitting in front of a screen with a toy wheel you know, it is the closest I have ever come to feeling like I am driving a car instead of playing a game. It will take a little time to get used to it (It won't feel exactly like a car immediately) but once you figure out what you wheel is telling you about what the car is doing you will be amazed...And IMO nothing available right now is in the same league as far as feeling and doing all the things cars do. Buy a DFGT for a hundred bucks or spring for a G27; either way you will know within a few days whether you are hooked and will be upgrading everything you can think of or if it really isn't for you...my money is on the future upgrades though

And Liz just said it way better than me

5. jd197

jd197 Gamer

Go for it, its a completely different experience to using a controller. I started on an Xbox 360 controller then got a wheel, no going back, ever.

dkwuan likes this.
  6. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

Totally worth it, I can't imagine driving a sim without my G25. It won't be instantly amazing, it will take time to understand what's going on, but once you click with it, you'll love it.

dkwuan likes this.
  7. pankykapus

pankykapus KS Dev Team Staff Member KS Dev Team

yup, get a wheel, I had a DFGT before I bought a G27, I'd get the G27 if I were you, because it's a lot smoother and a great starting point.

dkwuan likes this.
  8. The Moose

The Moose Hardcore Simmer

If i didn't have a wheel i wouldn't sim race at all. No wheel, no fun.

Once you have a wheel nothing else will ever do again.

dkwuan, Simon Roberts and r3ck0n like this.
  9. MASSIVE difference to using a pad ,imagine driving your own car with a pad ! if your old enough to drive lol.

10. APC900

APC900 Simracer

It's really the only way to run modern sims with any degree of reality.
    Throwing some opposite lock at a powerslide in the BMW GT or 599xx cannot be compared with pushing a button on a pad controller to do the same.
    Spend the money...you won't regret it.

dkwuan likes this.
  11. cimenTo

cimenTo Racer

it's awesome! get your G27 and you will have lots of fun with it

dkwuan likes this.
  12. Mr Chip

Mr Chip Gamer

As has been already stated, a wheel will only make things so much more fun and immersive. Don't expect to be good, or even as good as, you are with pad straight away, but do expect to lose time, money and partner/friend when the bug huts hard and you want to upgrade everything.................. :)

13. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

OK, I used to game on a pad. I even got pretty good at GTL on it. After reading comments from people online I felt I should check out a wheel. I got something quite cheap-ish (a Logitech Driving Force Pro). Initally I couldn't get on with it, in fact I was much slower on the wheel than with the pad. I seriously considered sending it back. However it was only the fact that it would have cost me £20 in postage that made me stick at it. After a week of using it, I finally got used to it, and was smashing my old lap times by seconds. I still have the same wheel. Best £70 I spent possibly.

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  14. JocoG

JocoG Simracer

For sure best FFB in any racing game to date. Get a used G25 or something for 100€(these things are bulletproof) and I'm sure you won't be dissapointed.

15. Tony Rickard

Tony Rickard Racer

The wonderful thing about sim racing is you can use controls just like the thing it is simulating without costing the earth. The increased level of immersion is simply priceless.

The Moose likes this.
  16. mangal

mangal Hardcore Simmer

Well, this is timely...

I've made the progression over the years from Project Gotham Racing, through Forza, then the F1 series (2013 on PC), and several times over the years had my mouse over the "buy" button for a wheel, but could never really justify it, and just kept playing with the X360 controller.

Enter Assetto Corsa. After playing hours since early December, I put the order in last week for a G27, and it arrived yesterday evening, so I have only just about 5 hrs of wheel experience, now - and it was totally worth it. I am still 3 secs off my X360 controller pace (which is itself ~8 secs or so off the leaders on RSR Live Timing) but I reckon that will change over the coming days. With controller, it is virtually impossible to be real precise because the angle needs to be real tiny sometimes (small movements lead to big wheel turns, making hairpins really hard). The wheel allows for tiny corrections, and makes it much easier to choose a line. Moreover, it is easier to correct, and a tiny mistake is less likely to lead you into the gravel or the wall in a wild spin. I make mistakes, but they're different ones, and (probably) easier to correct in my driving. Whereas with controller I had to keep reminding myself to drive more like a real car than a game, with the wheel I have to remind myself I am not on regular roads and am allowed to floor it and push it more... ;)

I ended the evening in the Lotus Elise on Magione - just to see if I liked it better with wheel, clutch and H-shifter than with controller when I hated it - and had a blast and did 25 laps without noticing. Sheer joy.

So, I'd say, if you're enjoying AC with a controller now, your enjoyment will go up multiple times.

(and hopefully finally break my horrible too-late-braking habit)

danks and dkwuan like this.
  17. Andrew Ward

Andrew Ward Gamer

With all respect Hysteria, how do you race without one? Get a wheel, it will be the best $200 you ever spent, apart from the $30 on Assetto!!!

Andrew

18. Ishigami

Ishigami Racer

I bought a G25 back in the day and at first I wasn't able to beat my lap times with the gamepad (GT5 Preview). Even though all reviews said "like the wheel of a real car" it felt a little strange at first because at 11 inch it still smaller and at first still feels like a toy.
    It took some time but I think after two weeks or so I really got used to it, it no longer felt strange and my lap times improved a lot.
    I haven’t touched a gamepad for racing in a long time since then.
    After the initial time of getting used to I think the obvious advantages of a wheel paddle combination is a more precise throttle and break application and steering.
    And then there is the force feedback that if done right it makes you feel so much more connected to the game.

If you want a rather hassle free experience to start off I would recommend something from Logitech be it either Driving Force (pro), G25 or G27.
    The only real question is the mounting. I never mounted any of my wheels on a table so I have no idea how that feels.
    I went bat **** and bought a Playseat Evo with the G25. I can’t really recommend the Playseat Evo… the seat is **** and the base isn’t much better either. I lived a long time with the Evo base but I replaced the seat twice (cheap after makret car parts...).
    For my Fanatec CSW I bought an rSeat One. Very sturdy can’t really say how it lives up over time but also rather expensive.

19. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

Best thing you can buy. If you're into this and love sim-racing, there's nothing like a lap with a wheel.

20. DaveH36

DaveH36 Gamer

My opinion is, the wheel is the best way to experience all a racing sim has to offer. I also use the G27. If you like racing, its the right choice.

21. Bigbazz

Bigbazz Racer

I used to love playing GTR 2 with my PS2 (copy) controller, but people kept on hyping up using a wheel, so after watching some inside sim racing youtube videos and reading a few forums I took the plunge, my goal at that point was to use it for the release of GT5. Having a wheel really opened up a new world of gaming for me, for the first few weeks of owning it I just could not pull myself away from it. I just wanted to play all day every day, I was even dreaming about it. Staying up abnormally late just so I could drive laps on Rfactor and GTR 2. When I started I really sucked, I sucked bad.. I was barely better (if even better at all) than I was with a gamepad... But I quickly got up to speed with it and I enjoyed every moment... I only wish I could experience it all over again, being a newbie wheel player and diving into Rfactor and learning each new car and track.

These days the novelty has worn off a bit, but really I can't go back to using a gamepad now. When I'm using a wheel I feel fully in control and connected to the sim, it's a real experience and the closest thing you can really get to man and machine in harmony without the real thing. For sure It isn't as good as the real thing and for sure a G27 is not the best wheel on the planet, but it's still pretty good and a G27 is still pretty good, I could not be without mine personally.