1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

People with a wheel, how good is it?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Hysteria, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Yokomo

Yokomo Rookie

I use the G27 for many racing games as GTR2, GTR Evolution, Race Injection (all simulations), for Dirt 3, TDU2 and Flatour 2. It was a very good choice and I think a racing game without using a wheel is like soup without salt (a german phrase=.

2. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

A wheel is a necessity to get the best sim experience of any driving/racing game but it's not necessary for fast lap times. I know of at least 2 aliens on another sim who use xbox controllers and I'm sure there are many more.

Shaddix likes this.
  3. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

id go as far to say that you shouldn't be able to access AC unless you have a wheel, I don't want to be racing against people with controllers or even keyboards, there a liability on track and take risks and make moves that a driver with a wheel wouldn't, id also get rid of unrealistic views too and have cockpit as the only option.

4. kalabaleek

kalabaleek Simracer

Filter or lock on the multiplayer session would do the trick. Don't hinder others to enjoy it just because you don't want to race against them. :)

danks and TCLF like this.
  5. TCLF

TCLF Alien

no, that would kill AC in an instant. I do like an option to have a wheel only server. Also mouse drivers seem to be more reliable than wheel users.

6. Fahim

Fahim Racer

Get the wheel. would be best 200$ you've ever spent.

7. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

yeah, wheel only servers, there playing a game, I'm driving a sim

8. TCLF

TCLF Alien

you are driving a sim racing game.

9. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

yep, and a wheel sure helps with driving...:)

10. Iracing tried to go the route of wheel only with no alternative driving view and even charging outrageous prices they had to change their business philosophy to get more customers...there simply aren't enough hardcore simracers to be economically viable as a business to only market to them.

AC is doing the best thing possible with being a completely hardcore, as realistic as possible simulation that can also be enjoyed by gamepad users simply by turning on a few assists. I have already seen quite a few posts from gamepad users (the casuals, if you will) that have been bit by the sim-racing bug and have bought a wheel or are going to soon. New blood is nothing but a good thing for our hobby. That being said, I will be pissed if there isn't an option to make my on-line server wheel users only.

danks and Tucker73 like this.
  11. TCLF

TCLF Alien

so does a gamepad, mouse and keyboard

12. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

I don't know where your going with this, the OP is after advice from wheel users and there opinions on how good it is, I gave him mine, if you would like to go and talk about how good controllers and keyboards are then I suggest you start a thread on the topic.

13. TCLF

TCLF Alien

I'm not talking to the op here, I reacted on your comment about not being allowed to drive AC without a wheel, which is is the most stupid thing I've ever heard.

14. Tucker73

Tucker73 Hardcore Simmer

you'll get over it, have a good day

danks and The Moose like this.
  15. TCLF

TCLF Alien

you not proving your stand point does say a lot

16. Windies

Windies Gamer

I'll toss my 2 cents in here, I've driven with a logitech game pad, and then finally after an extended break, hooked up my Thrustmaster rally GT wheel which frankly is not the greatest wheel and it's still like a night and day difference with FFB and just the natural feeling of controlling a car by a wheel. It provides a much more immersive experience overall. I wouldn't say you have to use a wheel but you're missing a lot if you don't.

17. zAmboni

zAmboni Gamer

Ive been playing AC for a week or so using my logitech gamepad. After a bit I am am halfway decent in the sim, but I know that the gamepad is holding me back. Yesterday I hit a rut and then realized that the I couldn't turn as far as I should on parabolica in the 599xx. Turns out it has to do with a conflict between the speed sensitivity and gamma settings I have to run with the stick steering. Turns out I have to tune the controller more than the car I'm driving :).

I've gotten down to 1:44.5 with the 599xx at Monza, but I doubt if I can shave more than 1s off of that. I can't use the curbs because any type of correction turns into an overcorrection because of the small throw of the controller stick.

We'll see how it goes, a local guy is selling his Fanatec Forza CSR wheel for like $100 and I should be picking it up on Thursday. I don't have pedals or a shifter (yet), but in the meantime, I have a set of saitek rudder pedals I can use for gas/brake in the meantime.

18. metalnwood

metalnwood Simracer

My simming goes back so far that I have had to race and fly without the modern gear we have. So I have raced without a wheel.

Since I got a wheel many years back I would just as rather not do laps than do it some other way. I understand people doing racing from the gaming POV, its an arcade game and controllers are how most people do this on other platforms.

If thats how they get their fun thats cool but they are playing a different game, how you race with a controller is different and feels about as different if you asked them to drive their real car with an xbox controller hooked up to it.

A wheel is well worth it and you are then playing a different game, one which is much better imho if you prefer your games more on the simulation side.

kalabaleek likes this.