1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Sense of speed....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by MickyMutton, Dec 6, 2013.

1. MickyMutton

MickyMutton Rookie

I'm using triples and have set the field of view to correct settings using in game calculator but I get no sense of speed whatsoever! In every car It feels like I'm going at walking pace, I get constant 70fps so It's nothing to do with that. Anyone else feel this? I just tried the McLaren and then went to iRacing and tried it there, In iRacing it felt like I had to hold on for dear life but on AC I was looking around at the scenery...... Summit don't feel right to me.

Colt Rogers likes this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay 6.3 is horrid Sense of Speed, FOV just horrid Mar 9, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars the sense of speed Feb 10, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Lacking Sense of Speed (+suggestion!) Sep 15, 2018
    General modding discussion AI race side by side and sense of speed Jun 29, 2016
    Suggestions a suggestion on how to improve sense of speed Jan 7, 2014
    ACC Physics BOP changes make little sense Jul 21, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Duelsense controller settings May 17, 2022
    ACC User Interface Nissan GT-R data display timing makes no sense? Mar 6, 2019
    ACC Gameplay AI aggression needs to be coupled with some common sense Dec 18, 2018
    ACC General Discussions Is it just me or the FIA GT Nations cup makes no sense? Dec 1, 2018
    General modding discussion Porsche 918 System, help me make sense of it. Feb 25, 2017
    Chit Chat Room New Challenge 'Benchmark' doesn't make sense at all Nov 26, 2016
    XBox One Discussions Suspension setup makes no sense to me. Nov 7, 2016
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Can some one help me make sense of the "slip" values ? Nov 22, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Instead of the slow down penalties that dont make sense Sep 30, 2015

3. Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts Simracer

I know what you mean, i need to mess with FOV etc on triples yet to try and iron it out.

4. schaefsky

schaefsky Rookie

I unchecked "Lock camera on horizon" or something like that in the options.
    That did apparently nothing for cockpit view, but watching replays in e.g. bumper or hood cam did make it a lot more shaky, and thus it felt a lot faster.
    Maybe a toned down effect like this for cockpit view would give more sense of speed (toned down because I think too mauch shaking would make me sick fast).

Chevalier D'Harmental likes this.
  5. Asilo_Driver

Asilo_Driver Racer

This...

I know there's nothing to do with the simulation quality itself, but I am also missing the sense of speed. Increasing FOV helps but not solves it.

Perhaps be the lack of movement in cockpit or something, but I'd be very happy finding out how to get more sense of speed into the car.

6. emilblixt

emilblixt Gamer

The only thing I can see is that the tracks looks wider around the car in iracing. This with correct triple screen settings. I have no idea but maybe it's a fov thing? In iR I feel like Im in the car on the track but in AC i still feel à bit disconnected, visually. Eveything else is above and beyond though!

7. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

FoV makes a very small difference to speed I have found. I was using a fairly wide FOV (60) when my calculated FOV should be around 45 apparently. Funnily enough I find better sense of speed now I am running 45....

8. emilblixt

emilblixt Gamer

I have correct FOV settings for my setup in both sims. Still, what makes the iR corvette at Brand Hatch a near death experience makes the AC p4/5 at Imola a stroll in the park. I cant figure it out, they look the same but iR just feels so much faster.

9. This is my only real complaint with the design of AC. Part of sim racing is to use your skills to drive as fast as you can, and the other side of it is for the thrill of speed. AC is missing the "thrill" component IMO. Unfortunately I think it's now just part of AC and there is not much the developers can do to fix this without a major overhaul.

The lack of feeling of speed has a number of negative consequences:

Firstly, you feel like you should be able to take corners at faster pace than what you actually can which inevitably ends up in severe understeer off the track - hence the constant complaining about understeer in AC. Also because of this the brakes feel far less effective. It feels like you are having to start braking in some of the cars about 100 meters before you should.

Secondly, it's difficult to notice the difference in small increments in speed. 150 km/h and 180 km/h don't "feel" vastly different in pace so some of the cars loose that feeling of difference in pace. So you end up only noticing cars on the opposite ends of the top speed spectrum being different in terms of straight-line speed.

Third, as mentioned above the game loses much of the excitement that is normally derived from the sensation of speed. When driving the 458, I feel like I'm actually driving a regular family sedan in terms of pace.

10. Toykilla!

Toykilla! Racer

I think the Sense of Speed is allready fine.

Thats my Simulator.

Kano, nivadepi, TCLF and 4 others like this.
  11. Jaimy

Jaimy Gamer

You have an amazing rig, but that`s not the correct FOV you`re using there. That`s the reason your sense of speed is fine. If you would calculate your real FOV you would have a very different sense of speed.

12. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

Damn:confused: I need 3 monitor setup, and cpu/gpu upgrade...

Correct FOV is EDIT BY MOD, I you want sense of speed and correct FOV, you need Oculus rift

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2013
  13. Toykilla!

Toykilla! Racer

The field of View ist right,because the GoPro makes it looks Wrong at the Video. The Triplescreen is 3x40".

Look at www.facebook.com/MicRennSimulator1

14. shogel

shogel Racer

I did a trick that helped me:
    try highten up your seat and go down with pitch (for me -2 is fine). The sense of speed is much better for me then.

15. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

dafqo_O I had to lower the seat almost in every car, because top of the steering wheel hides the speedometer/tachometer upper fonts.

16. Hi.

Have you tried moving the seat backwards instead of down to help with that? You may be able to get into more of a proper position that way, well, depending on how tall you are. I tend to move my seat pos back then raise it till the mirror is blocking some of my view like it does in every small car I've driven irl.

Regards.

duffy and Chevalier D'Harmental like this.
  17. Kristaps

Kristaps Alien

No, usually I move seat forward and lower it

AC default view

[​IMG]

My view - 60 fov

[​IMG]

18. MickyMutton

MickyMutton Rookie

Well I have now tried false FOV as well as the recommended FOV and still I am missing that sense of speed, I've tried seat up and down, forward and back but to no avail. Maybe this Is limited to triple screens? I don't know. All I do know is there Is no sense of speed In whatever car I drive. For now I'm gonna go back to iRacing for thrills and spills and just hope the devs have a look at this post cos at the moment for me AC feels a bit ... flat. Not knocking the sim but to me there Is no "seat of the pants" feel.

Before anyone has a pop at me, My sim history goes back to Geoff Crammond and EVERYTHING from then to now . I'm just stating what I feel when driving AC. By the way, It's not the feel of the cars but the sense of speed I'm missing. Go figure... ? PS, Just ran a few laps with NetKar pro with the f2000 at Monte Carlo, felt fantastic. Summit Is wrong.

19. emilblixt

emilblixt Gamer

LFS suffers somewhat from the same lack of speed feel. I wonder why? I've got correct settings in all my sims and AC and LFS definitely feel slower. My first though was that the sheer detail level of iR textures made it feel faster but it seems like theres something more to it. The e30 is painfully slow compared to for example the miata in iR.

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  20. eton

eton Rookie

Hello,One thing that helps a little bit is to massively increase the volume of wind sound and decrease all other sounds. All cars are much too quiet at high speeds, especially the no-roof cars.

21. schaefsky

schaefsky Rookie

Well, I found the setting "Camera shake at high speed" under options.
    Default was 1x, I have now set it to 1.5x, seems to help a lot with my sensations of speed.
    As I already said, I have unchecked "Lock onboard camera to horizon", but I think that does not make a difference for cockpit view.
    My FOV is 54°, which was the default apparently, I have a single 24" 1920x1080 display.