1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Speed penalty for not using h-shifter?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Guybrush Threepwood, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Kunos can you please confirm the penalty for using paddle shift in a H-shifter car?

It seems with the latest update there is a huge difference in straight line speed. I've noticed this in the BMW E30 DTM and Lotus Elise SC so far. I would hazard a guess of at least 0.5 to 1 second per lap between using H-shifter vs. paddle-shift in cars that are stick shift in real life.

Anyone else notice this?

Thank you.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Gameplay AI get penalty/DQ for speeding in pitlane Jun 17, 2020
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Off track speed penalty limit Jan 1, 2015
    Chit Chat Room speed limiter as in penalty Dec 22, 2013
    ACC Troubleshooting GPU full load and fans at full speed Mar 2, 2024
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues How to disable the excessive speed alert in turns Nov 17, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Tire rotation visuals at slow speeds be like Jul 17, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Ferrari 296GT3 / suddenly extreme topspeed. Jul 2, 2023
    GUI - HUDs - Apps Bugs & Issues ACC 1.9 replay speed bug Apr 21, 2023
    Chit Chat Room Speed Hacker Spotted Disappointed Nov 9, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Tyre Wear Resets after speeding in pit Sep 13, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Speed Limit Aug 29, 2022
    Physics Bugs & Issues Real speed for Spa and Porsche, also every other Track and Car Jul 30, 2022
    Chit Chat Room Speedrunning Career Mode TA, weird points system Jul 14, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Career mode - auto DQ for speeding in pit lane Jul 5, 2022
    ACC Physics Audi Evo II pit limiter speed Jul 4, 2022

3. Mogster

Mogster Alien

Kunos have always said using a paddle shift in a stick shift car is slower. It encourages people to use the correct hardware.

It's only by a tiny bit though, not 0.5sec per lap. To lose 0.5sec there must be something else going on.

4. I'm hoping someone can test the difference. Not everyone has access to a H-shifter and even less have access to one worth using, so the penalty seems excessive. I can understand 1 or 2 tenths, but I am almost certain it is closer to 1 second depending on the track.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Backmarker likes this.
  5. Strummer

Strummer Simracer

Is there any way you can tell if a car is a stick shift or paddle?

6. AFAIK there is no added penalty, the only advantage you have is that proper use of an H shifter (proper!) is faster than using paddles in H shifter cars, because when AC does the shifting maneuvre by itself it takes into account some fixed shifting times that a good driver may beat doing things by her/himself.

Freddie Seng and Leemstradamus like this.
  7. TCLF

TCLF Alien

I don't notice any speed penalty in comparison to drivers who do use H shifter

8. It would be easy for someone to test that had a H-shifter setup... do a drag session on the longest strip so you get to top gear and then just flick between paddles and H-shifter.

Backmarker likes this.
  9. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

Would something like this settle the debate?

Exige V6 with 100% default setup.
    Powershifting in both. (full throttle)
    Synced at the 100m point to eliminate any human error.

I realize just one repetition of the experiment does not provide any indisputable data, but at least it proves that speed penalty on paddle shifters is minimal!

Backmarker and Luca Zari like this.
  10. Eugor

Eugor Hardcore Simmer

Looks dead even to me.

11. The timing seemed to be a lot slower for the paddles on the split. What was the overall time with both starting from as soon as the lights go out. It looks like you waited a while to take off with the paddles???

Rinad and Backmarker like this.
  12. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

I think I've done this test once before. Ur eyes don't do you justice. The shift light on h shift comes on much sooner. And you need to do something like 5 runs in each mode. So I settled at 0.05 difference per shift up.
    That will make a minimum of a 0.5sec on a lap. But on most tracks its more like a second difference. And since RC it looks like kunos went mad and this difference is now doubled. Maybe I ought to repeat this test.

13. Bradbury

Bradbury Rookie

Wouldn't the biggest difference be on downshifts? I'm not sure if you can disallow automatic throttle blip online, but that would probably be a big disadvantage for paddle users. Or?

14. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

Nah, not as much as upshifts on uphill. Take sc2 on imola. It takes a long time without manual clutch.
    And sc3 imola too. Ur going 2nd to 4th or 5th gear twice from low speed. Takes at least .3 in that sector.

Plus on turbo cars it doesn't keep turbo boost full. So that looses further more time.

Its a shame. My clutch pot bone down and now I'm stuck with kunos clutch too.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  15. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

I only let timing app on to show I didnt speed up any of the vids.
    I launched when I was comfortable, not on a time mark, to remove human reaction time. Otherwise I would need many more repetitions to get any actual, trustworthy data.
    That's why I synced them so they both cross the 100m sign simultaneously, and not at launch.

Having said the above, there IS a time penalty, but as Niki also mentioned, it's really minimal!

16. I did notice online against a guy I race with in my league who uses H that each time there was a shift up for both cars at the same time his car would jolt ahead of mine. Only noticed it since RC 1.0 though.

Backmarker likes this.
  17. djkostas

djkostas Hardcore Simmer

And a top speed comparison.

This time I synced them at the 2000m point.
    Also changed my start to be more consistent.
    While it is obvious that they both cross the line with same top speed, so no handicap there,
    it is also obvious that paddles get a head start, proving they are indeed a bit slower.

What I forgot to mention before is, while I agree with Niki on the 0.05s difference, I do NOT agree on the 1 sec per lap comment.
    That is if you only consider shift times.
    But on a lap there are many more factors that influence speed, like for example easiness of gear shifts.
    With a shifter it's alot harder to shift, while miss-shifts are also a considerable possibility, while with paddles you have perfect shifts every time!!

Freddie Seng and Backmarker like this.
  18. Just look at it as a challenge, guys. Half a second over a single lap really isn't a big deal.

19. Soulvex

Soulvex Hardcore Simmer

Guybrush Treepwood, some memories in that name haha :)

Backmarker likes this.
  20. Yep, did a test run using the F40 - 10 runs with and without H shifter - and with the H shifter it was 2 tenths faster over 1000 metres. That was 3 gear changes. :/

I tried with the E30 DTM but it seemed to bog down off the line without the H shifter when dropping the clutch so it was much slower.

It's a shame people that can't use the H shifter for various reasons are at such a disadvantage.

Casper, Backmarker and Dream1979 like this.
  21. Psit

Psit Alien

I have no idea if h shifter is faster response or not bu i just HOPE paddle users get a good penalty. Otherwise, why would i kill myself using the hshifter and heel n toe over a 40min- 1 hour race , risking many mis shifts and even spinning the car due to failed heel n toe while the paddleshifters got it easy, no, way MUCH easier.

paulieGTR, xyr, Mr_Jolly and 13 others like this.