1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

SuperFOV & Immersive Display Settings?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by IDLH_, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Josefhead

Josefhead Racer

thats what I said...

the problem is that in reallife nothing pops out... you only have depth... otherwise it would be inside your head.. (and then you would need to rush to the hospital)

so you have only depth.. right from your nose... in RL and in the rift...

2. MrPix

MrPix Racer

All good comments about OR, but maybe for another thread? This thread is about getting the Devs to look at building in support for curved screens natively rather than having to tweak the balls out of what we have to get there... there are plenty of OR threads but I'm one of the white bearded fellas and my eyes don't focus at anything closer than about a meter, hence the need for me to go BIG with sFOV rather than CLOSE UP... so the OR is not for me as I couldn't see the image in it, not to mention that I think it could possible do some (more) permanent damage to my eyeballs IMHO or possibly not... who knows... -NOONE does ... yet!

To answer a question a few posts back, the BenQ 1080ST is very good at what it does and with some tweaking on the settings gets an acceptable image at the size I require, although with pixels at nigh on 1mm square, with my glasses on I can see the edges even at high AA... with them off, I have natural AA (at about x32!). No experience of 3D yet, I'm still getting the screen right... it's on version 4.0 currently ... hopefully this is the final version for the time being!

v1.0 = Frame v1.0 and 4x mounting boards - could see seams, but colour was good (N3-N4) if not a little too dark for eco mode on the PJ

v2.0 = Frame v1.0 and Hardboard v1.0 painted Primer grey -no seams but colour was too light (N7-N8)

v3.0 Frame v1.0 and Hardboard v1.0 painted mid grey (N5) matt spray paint - colour perfect, but recognised that wheel was in the wrong position in relation to the image on Frame v1.0.... so had to tweak seat height and tilt in game to get horizon to the right place with my wheel not obscuring it.

v4.0 Frame v1.1 and Hardboard v2.0 painted mid grey (N5) matt spray paint. Frame now sits 65mm higher and no tilt or seat adjustment is necessary horizon at eye level and wheel overlays screen wheel.... happy!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    ericRacer likes this.
  3. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

I just got in on the OR DK2 preorder and I will provide reviews/details/anything from my perspective of using an sFOV setup like MrPix and I run, compared to the OR experience at what I will consider to be ~equal pixel density for what your natural FOV is digesting.

MrPix, my father cannot see enough detail to read anything closer than arms length. He does not wear contacts. I will have him in the rig this summer with the latest OR to see what he can achieve in terms of focus and overall usefulness. If nothing else, I'd love him to race the sFOV rig with me in the passenger seat, me with the OR mounted, reading track notes as his race instructor!!! We must be able to co-drive!!!!

Cote Dazur and MrPix like this.
  4. Josefhead

Josefhead Racer

sorry didn't knew this is for make them a support for that..... I thought this is just a discussion about super fovs.. .. and since the quesition came up.. about to build such stuff with 3d I mentioned OR as an option

and by the way.. there are plenty of stuff out there to support such things... the downside of it.. they are quite expensive because they are for the professional projection aim... (event projections)

MrPix likes this.
  5. Snoopy

Snoopy Alien

An object between you and the TV technically pops out in relation to the screen. OR can also have a parallax that simulates the same. It's all up to the software. What the hardware does is give each eye a different image.

6. Josefhead

Josefhead Racer

yes ofcourse..
    but it makes no sense in the oculus to let stuff pop out... because it is already right infront of your eyes... that is what I meant with more natural...
    to me looking into the screen is fine.. but stuff popping out of the screen feels unnatural... because it is not realy there.. it is like a holographic projection.. (well it is).. you don't get that (at least not when done right) in the rift.. because it all happens in depth

so you have less depth.. with a screen projection.. because if you avoid stuff popping out.. the depth threshold is only at the screen.. which is farther away from your eye then the rift screen/lense

so you are looking at a 2d thing which then goes into 3d at the threshold line (the screen)..while the real world around you is ofcourse still 3d.. (your arms.. your wheel... and all the real world stuff).. so you always have a wall between 3d real world and 3d of the screen...

however do what you think fits best for your intentions..
    it was just a suggestion to look at the OR as an option.. if the 3d part is high on the priority list

for a perfect solution you would need to model the interior of the car (you can only drive one car per simulator then) with all it's rollcage beams and such stuff... maybe wrap that into oleds to get the right color...lightning and reflection (if it isn't the same material) and then put perfectly working 3d screens as windows on it

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  7. MrPix

MrPix Racer

No problem...

And we are already using 'Warping software' at least I think that is what you are referring to, without you having to ready the entire thread ;)... and it's not always expensive! I use Immersive Display Pro and IDLH_ uses nThusim warping software.... you can do the math and correct the image, but what we are asking for is an image that is rendered without distortion depending on the radius... rather than a flat image being projected on to a curved screen or 3 flat images that are designed for 3 flat screens.

8. Josefhead

Josefhead Racer

well warping is only one part of that... .. thats why it wouldn't be the right solution for this.. because it would be an overkilled and overpriced solution... it's more made for building projections and such stuff

but thats the point where a simply warping becomes quite easy to do.. in those solutions.. because they are made for much more complicated stuff

9. MrPix

MrPix Racer

Sorry, missed your questions earlier....

I use a single GFX card and get stunning framerates, even with a full field and the setting up high (not quite maxxed out) in AC.

On to your point about removable canvas.... here's a few shots of the versatile screen/pj setup I have... the screen is v3 here, so not in it's current state, but you will get the gist.

1. PJ in racing position
    SAM_0205.JPG

2. Screen in racing mode
    SAM_0202.JPG

3. Warping software for desktop & sims/games (1920x822 pixels - 21:9)
    SAM_0200.JPG

4. PJ in film mode
    SAM_0206.JPG

5. Curved screen behind monitor (for normal PC use) and also white PJ Screen attached
    SAM_0204.JPG

6. Screen down and res changed (1920x1080 - 16:9).
    SAM_0207.JPG

7. TV on! 80" diagonal
    SAM_0208.JPG

8. my view point (using fisheye lens on camera to fit it in ... it is rectangular in real life ;))
    SAM_0209.JPG

alex72 and Cote Dazur like this.
  10. MrPix

MrPix Racer

I disagree, warping is required for any curved screen application.... building size or immersive sim rig size and it starts at around $40 so does not have to be expensive at all.... or overkill.

11. museumsteve

museumsteve Gamer

I'd like to join in this thread as I'm about to start work on a curved screen to see how it fares for me. I switched from 3 projectors to a sFOV a few months ago and picked up a BenQ W1080ST just for the job. I also had an Oculus Rift DK1 and whilst DK2 (got one on order) will be awesome I dont think I'd ever get rid of my rig :)
    I picked up some Sainsonic 3D glasses to try when I first got the BenQ but to be honest I really struggled being so close to the screen. It would lose sync a lot as I looked around the screen so I assume it is just an issue using DLP link and I dont think the BenQ has an RF option :( That's really just a heads up for those thinking of trying it.
    I have trial version of Display Pro and nThusim which I'll be using for testing and have large card 4' x 3' squares which I'll be taping together until I have the right size. Tonight is just to get an idea of size I need to achieve and where the PJ needs to go as my project up to now has been for sFOV and the PJ is fixed to my rig.
    It's exciting stuff, never get bored of projects so I hope IDLH_ doesn't mind me jumping on board :)

12. There is 3d 1080p projectors in the market good for gaming, with good time response also? same says that the Optoma gt750 works very good but only 720p in 3D

13. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

Please join the fun! I encourage you to post updates and pics, the more we share the better.

I'm currently in design with a triple w1080st sFOV setup. I may move to a 3 segment screen with a gentle "bezel" transition rather than a continuous curve, more to come!

Cote Dazur likes this.
  14. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

man i would rather this than trip screens, probably cheaper too

15. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

Biggest compromise is pixel density, but absolutely yes the immersion is unbeatable (let's see if OR DK2 changes my mind) and for a single PJ at 1080p the required GPU horsepower is significantly less than a triple screen setup. Like I mentioned I'm dabbling with plans to do triple PJ's in portrait mode, edge blended with Nthusim pro, and may (will) revise my screen geometry to better suit the AC camera/optics for triple output.

Anyone here with experience running triple PJ's especially if in portrait and blended with adder software?

16. dubbsta78

dubbsta78 Racer

the prob with OR will be that you cant see shifter or what ever you need to see out of the game other than that OR should be great, honestly, i want the OR or trips but single pj with curved screen looks too good, minus pix density and luminosity, but i would rather be able to look at my surroundings . about pix density can you move the pj closer maybe the help with some mirrors or something or just not make the size so big would that help?

17. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

I agree 100% with the drawback of not being able to see your own hands, wheel, shifter, etc. Fanaleds on the CSW = pure joy. I don't even have any sophisticated button boxes or switches. I'm overly interested to see where the VR industry takes hardcore sim racing - after reading that Darren B uses his OR DK1 nearly-exclusively for sim racing (and he knows his stuff better than most) I'm tickled to think that it may be SO good you don't miss the RL visuals. Until we're talking 4k VR with zero latency and full peripheral vision, I'll continue to develop the best visual RL experience I can afford.

On single PJ pixel density (PD) YES you can actually adjust the throw of the PJ from 'way too small' to 'way too wide' without moving the PJ itself. That's the beauty of a short throw setup, and why the BenQ w1080st is currently the only PJ I'd recommend for this if you're shopping around. Regarding PD in general - I ended up realizing that it's a direct compromise between peripheral immersion and PD, and I adjust it all the time to suit my grass-is-greener mentality.

18. museumsteve

museumsteve Gamer

After trying out a curved screen tonight I've decided to stick with my sFOV for now. I came from 3 PJs/screens to the sFOV and much prefer it but was hoping that a curved screen would give me a mixture of both. Unfortunately I don't think I can live with the loss in pixel density, especially as you sit so close to it. It may not have been so bad if AC was my only racer of choice but I like to mix it up and the others don't have the screen settings options of AC.
    I wont look at adding PJs at this stage as I just got rid of 3 to get the BenQ and of course I have a Rift DK2 on order so I'll carry on with my current project for now :)
    I'm glad there were trial version of the warping software

19. museumsteve

museumsteve Gamer

When I had my DK1 I did some iRacing and messed around with RF2 and GTR Evo using tridef and as soon as you're in the car you really do forget that you cant see your hands. Plenty of racers have decent wheel rotation and once you start driving and you're looking at your hands in the Rift it just feels so natural and real. I'm very excited about DK2 :)

20. IDLH_

IDLH_ Simracer

PD is the achilles heal of the setup. Once everything is tweaked perfectly (triples app, warp grid, on board position, PJ aim) the setup leaves little to be wanted aside from better resolution. I find the current single PJ PD to be acceptable for the sake of the overall experience. It's certainly better than a DK1 OR and allows for setting best laps (vs no quality compromise leading to slower times). Ah well we will be buying 4k PJ's in a few years still talking about current gen PD being abismal :D

museumsteve likes this.