1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What is this obsession with super shiny cars rather than realism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by eobet, Dec 6, 2013.

1. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

Depends on the car. But there are quite a few cars I see around that have mirror like surfaces I could shave in ;)

2. PLazarou

PLazarou Gamer

And this is the key point. I've said all along, reflections like this do happen on car surfaces. It's just that they don't happen all the time, from every angle. You had to pick one moment in a video where it looks chrome-like (where it doesn't most of the time), whereas I'm saying I can watch an entire lap replay in AC in the sliver McLaren where it constantly looks chrome, all the way around.

3. Flashcrow

Flashcrow Hardcore Simmer

Shiny or not? It's hard to be picky when Kunos are doing most things right. Either way, it's not a game breaker for me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  4. TheDyingScotsman

Would be better to post pics of cars we actually have in the game though but hey, still cool pics ;)

5. petesky

petesky Simracer

has anybody noticed white coloured cars are really bright when hdr is off? Looks fine when hdr is on. In fact the cars don't look shiny to me when hdr is on. I normally drive with hdr off. You can really tell the difference in the showrooms.

6. Flashcrow

Flashcrow Hardcore Simmer

Who knows, one day they may be in the game ;)

7. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

You can control reflection and glossiness with the skin files, and you can adjust the exposure in game. The look of the default skins is not so important, the range of possibilities offered by the game is.

8. Cokatoos

Cokatoos Gamer

I played yesterday, I definitively prefered the reflections before!
    On a photo reflections are ok, but in a video when the car moving, it's too much, in my opinion.

9. TheDyingScotsman

This is not a solution for everyone. I do not mess with skins or files.

10. LeSunTzu

LeSunTzu Alien

I agree. However this is not exactly the final product that we have now and KS may adjust the default skins if they want to. Otherwise I am sure that a mod to tone down reflections can be made pretty quickly.

11. plaid

plaid Alien

It seems, that there is awareness missing, about the fact that there are different kind of lacks (Uni-, Metallic-, Pearl-, etc. and unique kinds), with different strenghts of reflections and glossiness.
    At least based on this I dont understand the comparsion from total different cars and street (all kinds of shiny) and race-cars (overall less shiny, maybe cause sponsors).
    In many games you can choose between metallic, uni and pearl and often matt. The last one is my favorite.
    Based on the angle, the strength of the sun and if there are any things that can be reflected, where its a difference if its the sky or some trees, the results simply varie.
    Would be cool to have an option for the settings for the colours and different kinds of lacks.

12. endgame

endgame Racer

Tried the latest build today and I'm not a fan about the new ultra glossy shader either. Even using 8xAA I'm seeing a lot more jaggies on the body work too as a result of all the sharp reflections.

Sm1ggs likes this.
  13. Sm1ggs

Sm1ggs Racer

Noticed this aswell can't get rid of them

14. TheDyingScotsman

No jaggies here. Set cubemaps to low, faces to 3, and if you have an nvidia card, use inspector to set 2x sparse grid supersampling. looks great Showroom_lotus_exige_s_roadster_11-12-2013-15-58-1.jpg Showroom_mclaren_mp412c_7-12-2013-0-29-55.jpg Showroom_mclaren_mp412c_7-12-2013-0-30-1.jpg Showroom_lotus_exige_s_roadster_11-12-2013-15-58-15.jpg

15. Sm1ggs

Sm1ggs Racer

Must be my amd card then I get white jaggies

16. Dori

Dori Hardcore Simmer

I have nvidia and I see the white jaggies, but only in the hangar. I haven't noticed it anywhere else.

17. Sm1ggs

Sm1ggs Racer

I see them on track before I set off when the camera goes round the car did not notice them before the new shaders was updated, will try more settings later

18. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Weather we have ingame, too... a cloudy day (like the Holden and Ford - even the direct shadow's pretty dim) is gonna give a much whiter light than the ingame sky.

I do think the game reflections need some tuning, or maybe the HDR does - someone mentioned the Fresnel dropoff earlier, I'd agree with that. But just claiming that all photos that agree with AC are 'photoshopped' and then posting different cars in different lighting doesn't resolve anything.

I found the silver metallic paints a bit disappointing, you can do a lot better with a cubemap of specular lighting generated by blurring the envmap. But that costs GPU resources and there's better problems for the graphics team to handle (like finally letting me drive the F40 ;))

19. Dinca Andrei

Dinca Andrei Hardcore Simmer

Ohhh wow...this is madness hahahaha
    It depends on how the real car is painted and there are alot of colors and coats
    For example this one

[​IMG]

Its not the same as this one

[​IMG]

Now look at AC screenshot....[​IMG]

Anuj and o0thx11380o like this.
  20. TheDyingScotsman

hangar is somewhat broken