1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

What is this obsession with super shiny cars rather than realism?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by eobet, Dec 6, 2013.

1. endgame

endgame Racer

ini's can be useful but AC seems to have them up the wazoo so it could get overwhelming when you lose track of what you've changed weeks or months previously.

2. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

This is true. I personally don't modify anything except for AC.ini for dev apps and Dx11.ini for frames ahead

3. Paul Maidens

Paul Maidens Gamer

If anyone is worried that this could happen, just backup the original .ini file somewhere safe.

4. TheDyingScotsman

TheDyingScotsman Hardcore Simmer

Good point. I did that once, when I tried someones modified tyresmoke.ini. Always good practice to back things up. I usually just copy and past in the same folder so you have the suffix "-copy"

5. PLazarou

PLazarou Gamer

This looks like one of those funky 'HDR' photos to me, which is exaggerating the reflection.
    Now this is interesting - it highlights what I'm talking about when I say everything looks like chrome - it's that huge contrast split halfway up the side of the car that gives the look of chrome - the second shot looks far more natural when this difference is reduced.

6. Dinca Andrei

Dinca Andrei Hardcore Simmer

Hehe,so what you are saying is that HDR is making that car chrome like reflections....Doesnt make any sense...
    The reflection is clear..so clear that you can pic the details from the objects on the other side of the road...Its posssible to use PS to alter the photo and make it blurry or noisy but i dont think you can take a photo with a car for example and apply filters to make the blured reflection in to something cristal clear.
    Its obvious that there are situation where the paint has the best and cleaner reflection and some other situation where it has a blured reflection...Now i dont know how easy or hard it is to reproduce this in a game engine.....

7. PLazarou

PLazarou Gamer

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying the HDR-ness of the photo has caused the sharpness of the reflections. Clarity of reflections is not my criticism in the first place, it is the contrast between light and dark areas of the reflection. In those screens posted by Paul Maidens, the reflections are just as sharp in both, but the second image looks more natural because the difference between the light and dark areas is reduced. I was saying that HDR photos of cars has this effect - it is exaggerating the contrast, making the material seem more mirror/chrome-like. I believe the first photo of the 12C you posted has a kind of HDR effect on it.

Some more exaggerated examples of this photography technique:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reflections are sharp anyway - they just more chrome-like due to the contrast. AC's cars often look very much like these photos. It's unnatural.

TheDyingScotsman likes this.
  8. Dinca Andrei

That realy hurts the eye ....looks unnatural as you say but its not that exagerated in AC...there are alot of updates to be made and in one or two of them we might see another change in this area.
    Me personaly i have no problem as it is now,or as it was before or how will be next...Looks nice and clear.
    I am more interested in how the cars drive and feels.I understand your points its just for me its not a priority atm.

9. eobet

eobet Simracer

Those photos show that people who post pictures here and go "look, I have this photo, so mirror surface on cars are realistic" haven't actually gone out to look at how car paints behaves in real life...

10. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

It's funny that the effect you are trying to minimize is showcased in a real life photograph on the site that you are linking to.. Just below the comparison images.
    It is just the reflection of the sky, and imo is a big part of the realism of the cars.

11. Dinca Andrei

Maybe a video can light the things up....if you cant stand to watch this video form the start..try after 9 min...
    I must be seen things but that paint reflects everything like a mirror....;)

kalabaleek and o0thx11380o like this.
  12. Paul Maidens

Paul Maidens Gamer

Yeah Wrongfire that's my car and I took the photo ;)

13. Wrongfire

Wrongfire Hardcore Simmer

I can tell it's a fun ride!
    I had a red integra around a year ago. It wasn't type R, but I made it look like one :3 Awesome car.

14. eobet

eobet Simracer

Oh, yeah. That's super normal. Nothing special with that video. No, sir. :rolleyes:

15. Dinca Andrei

Are you saying its fake?!
    He is restoring the paint to original state..its called "Polish"

XN-Sigma and o0thx11380o like this.