1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Worth overclocking the cpu and/or gpu ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Sen Dewael, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Sen Dewael

Sen Dewael Racer

Hi all,

So a friend of mine with a I5 2300 cpu and a HD5570 gpu got AC.
    And as you probably already know it sucks and can get around 50fps with all graphics settings disabled or at the lowest at a res of 1920x1080. He want's to know if it's gonna be worth it to overclock to get a little more fps or maybe some graphics settings to turn up. I suggested to try it but he doesn't wanna take the risk of damaging it for no reason maybe. So has anybody some experience with this and thinks it's gonna be worth it ? Or maybe some tips and tricks to squeeze some more power out of his system ? Cuz it drives and looks like crap with low fps :p

Thanks in advance!

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Lost the last 10 days worth of progression!!! Jun 22, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it worth it Apr 16, 2022
    ACC Virtual Reality Worth upgrading from Ryzen3600 to 5600x? Oct 1, 2021
    ACC Virtual Reality Unloved 11900k worth it ! Apr 10, 2021
    ACC Hardware Discussions Fanatec Clubsport pedals V3 vs. CSR Elite Inverted - worthwhile upgrade? Mar 16, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions is ACC worth getting on normal xbox one Nov 20, 2020
    ACC Virtual Reality Worth my time? Jul 15, 2020
    ACC Hardware Discussions Is a formula wheel worth it Jun 14, 2020
    ACC Multiplayer was this kick worthy? Oct 8, 2019
    ACC Rating & Leaderboards Just lost a week's worth of driving history in safety rating Jun 21, 2019
    ACC General Discussions Used Fanatec CSW V1: is it worth it? Jun 8, 2019
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Fanatec CSW V1: worth it? Jun 7, 2019
    ACC General Discussions GPU - Worth trying with a GTX 1060? Oct 11, 2018
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Is AssettoCorsa worth it if i dont have a wheel? Sep 27, 2018
    Chit Chat Room worth it? Mar 10, 2018

3. sarabwt

sarabwt Simracer

yes its worth it

4. Horus

Horus Alien

Maybe, sometimes an overclock will add to the problem. GPU overclocking is not a good way to go with an onboard GPU as if it goes pop the whole lappy is an expensive paper weight. Sell the lappy and buy a PC, so much cheaper and so much faster, even a lower spec desktop will do a better job and if you select the right hardware you can slowly upgrade it to an even better gaming rig.

So yes you could gain an improvement in overall performance but at the expense of reliability and longevity.

mrk1001 likes this.
  5. Sen Dewael

Sen Dewael Racer

Alright :)

It is a desktop pc but I think he already got it for 5 years..
    He might upgrade it but he is just using it to play assetto corsa and gmod so he doesn't need something very powerfull and uses his money on other stuff..
    But i'm with him so i'll try to overclock it and see how it turns out :)

Horus likes this.
  6. 3dchips

3dchips Racer

My I7 920 (2.6GHz) is running at up to 3.9 GHz...since 3 years now. No issues.

7. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

I gained about 20fps clocking my CPU up and another 10 by doing my gfx card. (From about 80 to 110 on Nords)

Great way to squeeze another year from your system if it can take it. Make sure your heat management is sorted out.

8. My I7 920 has been at 3.8 GHz for three years as well. Overclocking just needs to be researched first. He needs to research his specific CPU and see what most people have overclocked it to and how. GPUs usually don't overclock very high.

9. Horus

Horus Alien

I am not saying OCing your system is not a way to squeeze a bit extra out, what I am saying is that it can cause DATA corruption and will degrade your systems quicker than leaving them default. My AMD has been running a nice OC for over five years (watercooled), but I would not bother trying to OC an onboard GPU like the Intel HD. You might be able to change the BIOS to add extra memory dedicated to the onboard GPU, but again you will be stressing the system even more with a onboard GPU OC as it will push the CPU further down the road of unreliability.

Personally I would get him to send that letter to Santa and ask for a dedicated GPU, anything from the nVidia 5 series up will give him far more performance gains than OCing.

10. Sen Dewael

Sen Dewael Racer

Aight, thanks for the replies guys! There's a huge cpu cooler in there so it won't run hot i think :) Just installed all latest drivers and some overclock software so lets try some settings out :)
    @Horus it's a dedicated GPU :) HD5570 by AMD

11. MarcM

MarcM Simracer

Before thinking a lot about this, investigate whats even possible. Some CPU´s are `locked` and hard to overclock to any meaningfull gain.

Also you must have sufficient cooling (and power supply, but thats usually alright). So check your temps too, especially if your friend has the stock cooler only.

If you dont change the voltages overclocking is very safe. If you do change the voltages its still safe, if you know what your doing. And normal levels of OC is not rocketsience. Take your time and enjoy your free upgrade

12. Sen Dewael

Sen Dewael Racer

Any idea about the gpu settings in the AMD Crimson settings ? I can make a custom profile for ac with AA settings and some more.. anybody has an idea of how to put this ?

13. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

Start slow, go in increments, and do one at a time. (CPU, then GPU.) Run some benchmark software to test each upclock and watch the heat. Be patient.

In a couple of hours you'll be done, and you'll have done it right.

Horus is right, it stresses your hardware. But many of us have been running oc'd for years with perfect reliability. (A lot like cars...)

14. Torcano

Torcano Alien

It's a non K processor my man. They are locked maximums and you will only be changing the turbo speeds, 3.3 is the max you can get to without breaking. And given his low end PC what mobo does he have? Because if it is anything other than P67, Z68, Z75, or Z77 chipset then you shouldn't even bother because you can't. You will at best get a 400 MHz boost, realistically speaking not even half that on the turbo with that chip. Not worth it.

As for the GPU go nuts with it, just leave that CPU alone. That's my advice unless your friend is planning on doing a full rebuild soon and he doesn't mind frying his mobo and gpu because you tried to overclock the CPU by increasing the base clock and since PCIE and SATA are tied to bclk it will make the system unstable and deader than a bag of dead rocks.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    esox71 likes this.
  15. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

Curious, I'm using a BioStar TA75A+ with what I believe is a K AMD A8-blah blah blah processor (check my spec spoilers) and I've always overclocked .3 GHz on the CPU...should I not be doing this?

@Sen Dewael Your friend should hopefully see 10 to 12 fps boost with proper oc'ing on the GPU. I'd also install GPU Techpowerup that you can find online to monitor your overclocks. MSI Afterburner also works really well. If you know your card's maximum TDP power limit, you can overclock to that point without getting problems.

AMD Crimson works best when paired with Windows10...Windows7, I haven't seen the 15 fps extra boosts others have been getting. Since Beta 15.0, there have been FPS boosts everywhere, so I'd install the latest AMD drivers whether Crimson or not. Don't oc with AMD Catalyst either, use an aftermarket program.

16. F430_458_F12

F430_458_F12 Alien

And your friend might look into getting an ASUS Strix GeForce 970...that card has a VERY low power draw, oc's well, and is a supercard. If he has a 6+2 pin and 32amps on his 12+volt rail, he should be able to get around 160 FPS with that card easily. It's the card I'm getting next. The AMD R9 380x is another lower powered card he might try upgrading to. Gigabyte sells one with a 6+2 pin connector, and it oc's very well, not as solid as the 970, but extremely good fps, and very stable under oc's. They are selling for 200 - 229 USD, and are proving popular. They also appear to work very well with Crimson from the reviews coming out recently, and are more powerful than the hotter running 280X outgoing cards.

17. Torcano

Torcano Alien

The stuff I mentioned is intel processor and i5 2300 specific, won't apply to you. Your setup is fine.. :)

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  18. Sen Dewael

Sen Dewael Racer

So after a couple hours of trying last night i figured that the cpu isn't overclockable (like @Torcano mentioned) we tried to find stable settings for the gpu and finally came up with a 100 GPU Clock increase and a 100 Memory clock increase.
    So now the GPU Clock is 750 MHz and the Memory Clock is at 900Mhz.. can't go any higher because the drivers will crash. Sadly there's only a 4-5fps increase when running the AC Benchmark.
    So i guess the only way to be able to play this game like we should is to upgrade the system :) Thanks for all the help guys!

Torcano, LeDude83 and F430_458_F12 like this.
  19. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Thanks for the conclusive report. THIS is how you do forum :)

offcorsa likes this.