1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Zandvoort not laserscanned rumor(?)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Epocx, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Iracing has a laser scanned version so that would be the benchmark to compare it to when released. The mod that is available now is already quite close IMO.

Mogster likes this.
  2. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I want the developers to tell me how a track is driving and the closest they can come to that is by laserscan. That my wheel is **** is something i always can upgrade to get a better feeling but meanwhile I want to be as close as reality as i possibly can and one way for that is to drive on a laser scanned track.

They dont even need to get the real data of the cars because I wont drive most of them ever in my life anyway. I want to imagine driving those cars and by doing so in a sim compared to in a arcade game is that I feel that I get as close as i possible can while doing so, in AC for example.

This is my opinion but a sim is not supposed to be as hard as possible just to be a sim, its to simulate the real life as close as possible.

Can @AC Support @Aristotelis or @Lord Kunos verify that it isnt laser scanned?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015
    3316V likes this.
  3. zaratul

zaratul Hardcore Simmer

Just woke up and this is really disappointing :(

4. Revvin

Revvin Rookie

Do we know for sure or was something lost in translation/edit of video maybe they bought the data from the track as I'm sure I read somewhere more tracks have their own laser scanned data these days so maybe he was saying THEY didn't laser scan it but that doesn't mean its not created from a laser scan?

5. GRFOCO

GRFOCO Alien

Sorry but this is total nonsense.
    So we can have an (example) Aston Martin gt3 with an in invented physics just because nobody has driven that car in rl (and nobody know how much it's close to the real one) ?

3316V and kofotsjanne like this.
  6. Bræm

Bræm Gamer

Aww thats a shame really, I was really hyped to see a laser scanned version of my local track
    I think it would be hard to make all the elevation changes and cambered corners accurate

Oh well, we'll see what they make of it

Nahkamarakatti and Epocx like this.
  7. AlBahner

AlBahner Hardcore Simmer

Plans for me are to drive the Nordschleife and Zandvoort this year as both are not that far from me and I really hoped to 'train' on a laserscanned Zandvoort. Otherwise I will now be able to tell if laserscanning is really that good with the Nordschleife and wether Kunos went the wrong way with Zandvoort or not and as it is a great looking and interesting track in real life (already saw it 3 weeks ago) I'm interested in this track either way.

Dookie, Epocx and Michael Hornbuckle like this.
  8. Glaurung

Glaurung Hardcore Simmer

Many society that own the rights and manage the circuits already have GPS and/or laserscan data of their assets.
    It will be no surprise if Kunos has bought both the rights and the data from Circuit Park Zandvoort society.
    Do not forget that there are other technologies besides laser scan to retrieve ground data, so maybe they already had a DEM to implement the track on.
    That said, in any case just wait and test what they have done before shouting the silly mantra "no laserscan - no good".

[RRRV] JuggernAlz and Epocx like this.
  9. Tophercheese

Tophercheese Simracer

Even though it's not laserscanned I'm sure they'll still have done a fantastic job of it. Certainly that Lotus 49 screenshot that Marco posted on FB a few months ago looked really nice, so I'm sure it'll do fine :)

Also, if they were able to manage to buy laserscanned data from wherever, then hey, even better :)

Can't wait :)

10. I think we should have some kind of clarification from a kunos employee either way about this rumour , to be honest if its not and its top quality then who cares as donnington by brun and paul ricard by tony messagers are both fantastic and they are not laser scanned.

11. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I have no issues with modded tracks since they can be really good too. But just imagine Kunos buying the license for Donington (just example) and add the modded track as official as they have done with cars. Just imagine the even bigger ****storm that would be than this thread. I guess Kunos will get it a bit more accurate but hopefully you understand what I mean.

Compare non-laser scanned tracks in a game compared to the laser scanned and you notice what a huge difference there is, even if its small differences here and there, it adds up and become a much bigger difference in accuracy.

3316V, Leemstradamus, Dookie and 3 others like this.
  12. Ok, just for the fun of it: Kunos, please stay silent on this matter and when Zandvoort is released start a poll here entitled "Do you think Zandvoort is laserscanned?":)

13. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Its not about what we think. Do you want them to have a poll with the new cars aswell and "Do you think this is real data or did we made it all up".

3316V, Nahkamarakatti and nate like this.
  14. Epocx

Epocx Alien

Very funny but i am sure that the guys that drove it in real life can tell :p
    As someone said, maybe there is non laserscanned acurate data used.
    be it as it may but we would like to hear about it.

Disposable_Hero likes this.
  15. Jos_theboss

Jos_theboss Hardcore Simmer

I always notice that the ffb feel isnt that good with mod tracks, (especially donnington), i hope zandvoort will have good ffb feel.

16. Dark humor i know:)

17. Nyowa225

Nyowa225 Hardcore Simmer

Brun and Tony also haven't sold us a sim on the promise that it had laser-scanned tracks like Kunos has.

nate, Dookie, Epocx and 2 others like this.
  18. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Could be possible that the Zandvoort from AC is outsourced. So that the main dev for AC tracks is focusing on the laserscanned Barcelona and Brands Hatch. We know tracks take a lot of time, so is possible that Zandvoort was given to another very good track maker, but which isn't part of AC's official staff. We know that some upcoming cars are outsourced (models), and then physics are done with Kunos. So possibly Zandvoort was also outsourced graphically but the track physics was done by Kunos, to meet the standard of their other laserscanned tracks physics.

19. It. Isn't. Scanned.

speedbee and demonized like this.
  20. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Honestly said, comparing Nürburgring and Monza in R3E and AC showed differences in driving - but no dramatic ones, and I cannot say which one is "better or "more realistic" - I just cannot know that. The looks and atmosphere in R3E however is better in R3E, imo. But that might be an issue of taste, both sims use different graphical approaches to paint the world.

I will soon be able to compare Zandvoort, Silverstone, Spa and Nordschleife as well.

Using laserscans certainly is no disadvantage, and allows recreation of tinier details on track surface and elevation. But to what degree this really is that decisive to provide drivers with a good racing opportunity - that si something totally different. I indeed think that it is a bot elitist thinking to claim that laserscanned tracks always always make the totally decisive difference. You cannot claim that in such an absolute fashion. Not to mention that theb track environment in R3E is more detail-rich than that of its laserscanned pendants in AC. I dfo not know about you, but I would not be satisfied to just drive on a laserscanned grey strip with no envir9onment along the track, liking it just for being lasercanned. To me it also is about immersion, atmosphere, mood of the place and race. And for that, laserscanning is not a decis9ove argument.

And regarding the track, I always compare to my imagination about the real thing, as I already explained.

Jedem Tierchen sein Pläsierchen. This discussion about laserscanning seems to have an inherent tendency to turn into a religious debate like the SP-vs-MP controversy. But the tendency for according absolute statements about final one-and-only truths are not wanted, and are not needed for the good of the issue at debate. So I leave it here now. Those looking down on non-laserscanned tracks are always free to simply pass on them and to not use them, if they think they benefit from doing so. This debate is not really needed, therefore. Me - I still prefer AC's Monza to that of R3E, and I prefer R3E's Nürburgring to that of AC. So is life. Laserdata yes or no has nothing to do with my preferences.

[LYN] Cheesenium and Ischemica like this.