1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

A little help driving without traction and stability control

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by RavageTheEarth, Mar 22, 2016.

1. P*Funk

P*Funk Racer

Still look very timid about using the full width of the road.

Reminds me of my early work. :p

V8_KB likes this.
  2. Yeah I'm still getting used to it, but I'm getting there... I think. Just having some trouble judging how much throttle to give it on exit and when to give it that throttle.

3. P*Funk

P*Funk Racer

That's just an experience thing, but probably not something you learned when driving the fake line. I figure if you're always following that suggested line you're pointing the car but tracking out on exit involves kind of letting the line you take slide sideways. More throttle means a bigger circle so its different to just pointing the nose.

RavageTheEarth likes this.
  4. You really need to stick with one car/track combo for at least a couple weeks if you want to improve.

RavageTheEarth, Minolin and V8_KB like this.
  5. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Definitely better than Magione video. Good tips by P*Funk and Michael.
    I'd add that you would be better with ABS car so you won't be bothered by braking "issues". Just focus on the line for now, don't look at lap times. Turn off all apps, turn on tyre blankets - another thing ruled out so you can focus only on the line.
    And if you have a combo that you are most familiar with then use it. It's important since you saw how the Magione clip looked, learning a new track and how to drive without aids isn't a good idea because you have too much stuff to learn.

6. GLENNYBOY1

GLENNYBOY1 Gamer

7. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Definitely coming along and some good tips being posted by various folks.

One thing I would do would be to turn off the track map and, like @Michael Hornbuckle was saying, keep yourself to one car/track combo for a while. This will help you to pick up on learning a circuit. I may be wrong but I imagine that if you have a track map running there's a tendency to be looking at the track map rather than looking where you are going - whilst you pick up on the red dot on the track map maybe you should be looking for a braking marker and then looking to the apex of the corner. There's an old adage from being a driving instructor... look where you want to go and your hands will take you there (coupled with some input from your feet once you start going a bit quicker and the car gets closer to it's limit - disclaimer - the bracketed info is not something you would teach a learner driver ;) )

Generally tracks aren't difficult to learn, I happen to think that they are easier to learn if you look where you are going all the time, take it relatively easy for the first few laps at a new track and build up speed as the picture in your mind builds up. Not a criticism, just think about it as reducing the amount of info you are trying to process. Some of us are fortunate as we've been driving sims and at most locations for a few years so generally know our way around. Nurb GP isn't a bad place to start, you look pretty familiar with it now and there's a good selection of corner types. Keep batting around there in a car you feel comfortable in and the speed and "feedback" will start to pile on.

Keep it up, it's getting better :cool:

8. I've made this post so many times now that I should just make a thread about it.

Here is what you need to do in order to become a more competent sim-driver:
    Make sure that you have your wheel setup at least somewhat correctly. Whatever wheel you have, do a forum search on it and look through several different people's settings for it. Either directly use one of the setups you find, or make your own using values that are in line with others.

Make sure you have your graphics settings to where you are getting at least 60fps comfortably. If your system can handle the 40fps it takes to enable PP effects, absolutely enable them. (the game is meant to be used with them on)

Take a lower powered, semi-automatic (flappy paddle shift) car such as the BMW Z4, BMW E92 M3, or BMW M4 to Magione in Practice Mode. Turn off all apps. (track map, essentials, all of them). Magione is a short track with less than a dozen turns, you should be able to memorize the track layout within a few laps.
    Do NOT try to go fast for the next several dozen laps. Only concentrate on driving around the track without going off course and without spinning out. Once you have made enough slow laps that you have the track memorized and can make laps without going off course or spinning out you can now use hotlap mode and practice against your ghost car.
    Once you are practicing with your ghost car you can experiment with different braking points and lines and such.
    Once you have made several hundred laps and know the track like the back of your hand and have a good idea of the correct lines and such to take, then you can start experimenting with tire pressures and camber changes and such in the setup.

The car control skills that you learn on this little track will absolutely transfer over to every other track you will ever drive.

Here is a video to show you the basics of getting around Magione. I am not alien fast by any means, and most of my lines are pretty ugly, but here you go:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  9. I definitely agree with Sleeper Service regarding getting rid of track maps. The only maps you need are the ones in your head.

RavageTheEarth likes this.
  10. Thanks for the help everyone! Great advice all around. So I've spent about 3 hours at Magione with the same car today. Getting a little better, but still a lot of room for improvement. Here is a recent video.

Turk and Sleeper Service like this.
  11. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Now this one looks good. If compared with the previous Magione vid, I'd even say it looks very good.
    And it just proves that it gave you more than 3h of driving random cars on random tracks. You improved a lot, but never stop trying to be better. :)

Seria17hri11er and Minolin like this.
  12. Thanks! I'm definitely beginning to understand it a bit more. It's become a lot easier. I definitely need to start recording with a different program though Youtube makes a ton of artifacts when uploading videos recorded with shadowplay for some reason. Fraps looks a lot better, but uses a ton of hard drive space.

13. So now I'm going at it again except this time with no traction control. I hated how I could be coming out of a corner and give it wide open throttle and the car wouldn't start moving until the wheel was straightened out. I felt like it was holding me back. At least on a map like this with so many tight corners... so now I have to be a lot more throttle concision and I'm enjoying the extra challenge.

14. xystof

xystof Hardcore Simmer

This. Spending hours on one car/track combo really can boost your lap times, as well as understanding of the track and car. I spent long hours on 458/Imola to get 'beat the sting achivement' and finally I was able to beat him by 0.5s and I could surely be even faster if I would train more (but I didn't care, I'm not playing AC to be faster, but for pure fun).
    Around 90% of time I was grinding 458 with TC off, for the last 10% I started to use last TC option (TC4) because I finally understood 458 well enough, that TC wasn't slowing me down anymore, but was making me faster.

15. No posts from me recently; too busy during the weekends.

But on controller settings; two things you may want to try that may make the sim more enjoyable, and may assist with your driving:

assettocorsa\system\cfg

assettocorsa.ini

[FORCE_FEEDBACK]
    FF_SKIP_STEPS=1

Change to 0 and test. This is quite a subtle enhancement. Physics engine runs at 333 HZ. Default value of 1 means wheel FFB is updated at half the rate, ~150Hz. The reason that is the default value is because some wheels shake and vibrate at 333 (0).

[FF_EXPERIMENTAL]
    ENABLE_GYRO=0

Change to 1

I like it on. It essentially is a stabilizing force on the front wheels. Noticeable when recovering from significant oversteer--the point and which you bring the wheel back to center after steering into slide. It was coded (I believe) because some folks were having problems with their steering wheels oscillating around center.

"Finding" center after recovering from oversteer without this on is a bit challenging for me. I end up rotating the wheel side to side trying to find center.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

16. I haven't experienced that myself. What are your quality settings in Shadowplay?

[​IMG]

17. I'll try the skip steps set to 0. I do already have gyro at 1 and enjoy it like that! As for shadowplay, I figured out my issue. Before I was recording 1440p at the max bitrate which is 50. YouTube butchered that and made it look terrible. I changed my shadowplay recordings to 4k and 150 bitrate and it looks great when uploaded to YouTube now!

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  18. Got myself a new best time with the 458 Stage 3 at Nurburgring GT tonight!

Yohnny240, V8_KB and Seria17hri11er like this.
  19. P*Funk

P*Funk Racer

I think its safe to say you're making progress. :p

RavageTheEarth and V8_KB like this.
  20. Thanks!!!!