1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

The steering, grip front tires, terible?

Discussion in 'Steering wheels discussions' started by Zenon, Jan 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

Thank you, liakjim!
    You just put in words what I was thinking but wasn't able to write down unambiguously.

@Shakotan: If you provide us (I'm out since I'm not into numbers ;-)) with some data we would appreciate it. So long, your argument merely consists of feelings towards losing front grip and comparisons - based on feelings - to other games.

Silhuette likes this.
  2. Shakotan

Shakotan Racer

I did. It's very simple and just a test. Set LS_EXPX=0 (linear, according to Stefano) on a car like the Cayman GT4 (one of the cars where it's easy to feel) and just notice how it changes the way the car drives. It doesn't make it magically awesome to just change that one parameter, and the change is extreme. But for a reason. If you want to try something, you might as well put in a ridiculous value to make it obvious what it does, right? Just feel the reaction to light throttle and brake inputs mid corner when loaded up. I have sendt everything I have to Stefano with a long explanation about how I reverse engineered this based on my driving experience, and what I think it does to the handling. It's still a compromise, and I never claimed it was realistic. Just that it makes a big difference and is worth looking at. For some reason I was treated as though I claimed that his values where crap and this was right or something. I didn't. I simply said that it's worth looking at. After all, I am not the only guy who thinks AC can feel a bit floaty and unstable. Ever tried heating your front tires on the straight?

And no, I am not just comparing this to other sims. I am basing it on 27 years of real life experience as a racing driver, drifter, driving instructor for Porsche and AMG among others, as well as 8 years as a precision driver for movies and 5 world records in iRacing ;)

Check out my youtube for more background: youtube.com/fredriksoerlie

EDIT: You may want to set LS_EXPY=1 as well btw. And the Cayman GT4 Clubsport seems like a good candidate for a test. Or PM me if you want help.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    Bolibompa and Kloucezch like this.
  3. Hi Fredrik - first - nice RL skills :) - saw your video with Cressida a few years ago, was impressed
    second - had learned during 1,5 years that AC is too complex and too good to make changes which could destroy all feeling - now I'm using practically 100% as intended by devs - with some minor FFB/latency changes (default values are safe for most of the rig combinations).
    third - didnt you think about roll cage for your Cressida.... you are driving really fast as for drifting :)

paul_wev likes this.
  4. Alistair McKinley

Alistair McKinley Hardcore Simmer

It didn't sound like that (your words in bold letters) when you posted first. Sorry.

Thank you for your offer, but I meant it like I wrote it: I'm not into numbers. I don't understand a single word of this "LS_EXPY"-stuff.

I just want to add that you probably weren't coming across as you'd intended.
    Wish you the best of luck with your PM to Stefano and Aris.
    Maybe they can make use of your data, your explanations and your experience(s) as a driver. (I'm still thinking you should have started your post in another way - like telling that you are an experienced driver and that you thought, front grip could be handled differently in AC, something like that.)

5. Shakotan

Shakotan Racer

Thanks. I don't agree that it's too complex. In fact it's pretty simple. And logical. And actually pretty good. Their customer interaction could use some work though :p

The Cressida is a daily driver, so don't want to cage it. I'll just have to make sure I don't crash. I should probably read a book about driving...

6. Ok. let it be. Crashes just happens even for much better drivers -but wish you luck (anyway doesnt like taking passengers, but this is my personal opinion)

BTW - was trying to be polite, even after this bull**** about your briliiant physic changes ;)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  7. Shakotan

Shakotan Racer

Haha, yeah man. No worries. I was joking ;)

8. Shakotan

Shakotan Racer

Yeah, not my thread though, mate. I simply made a single line comment way down the page, not even commenting on the original post but on another reply. And I don't want to start off by giving my resume. That's uncomfortable :)

Bolibompa likes this.
  9. Topuz

Topuz Hardcore Simmer

Changing couple parameters just to see what happens and then being surprised that things go a bit wonky isn't data, regardless of your CV. It's the equivalent of a story about a monkey that has infinite time on the typing machine. It will write Macbeth eventually, but there's no value behind the act.

10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Well phrased!!! If this value feels a bit "righter" to this RL racer in certain situations I wonder how much it will break in other situations.
    And really...how hard can it be for someone posting walls of text in desperate defense, to use the time instead to make a video comparison at least?
    It's just another case of "I don't like it, so it's broken. I don't need to prove this - it's so obvious, I can't help you if you don't see it."

TDS, Alistair McKinley and liakjim like this.
  11. Just to clarify that this guy did not send any DATA other than a wall of text full of the same non-sense you can read here in public, nothing less nothing more.
    Lol.. he "reversed engineered" allright :D :D :D

The thing that really baffles me is that load sensitivity is a very simple concept.. still, this guy manages to completely misunderstand it, it's not just a misunderstanding tho... he simply does not get it at all.
    He can't wrap his head around a formula with 3 operations but still wants to talk about physics and be taken seriously.... amazing and hilarious.

I've seen my good share of Dunning-Kruger effect in these years, but this guy, this guy is something else.

Eero, LeDude83 and liakjim like this.
  12. kittenjuggler

kittenjuggler Rookie

I just received my new HP Omen, specifically purchased to play Asseto Corsa. I downloaded the recommended (on the net, re: AC) the latest Windows 10 compatible software to profile my Logitech G25 wheel, pedals and shifter. I AM REAL UNDER WHELMED WITH ASSETO CORSA!!!!! The interface where a person moves sliders with a mouse....just covers over the slider with gray squares and does not redraw them. And I did, download the WHQL (or whatever) driver for this obscure nVidia 1070 8gb video card in my system. UNIMPRESSIVE TO SAY THE LEAST. Then I tried (knowing the mouse didn't even work right for adjusting things) to drive with my G25 Logitech. Everything works PERFECT......until the car starts rolling. Then the wheel in my hands does not cause the wheel on the screen to do the same thing. In other words, until I am "rolling", a 180 left rotations causes the same on screen. Once the car is "rolling", a 180 left of my G25 wheel causes a 20-30 degree left with NO resistance (FFB)!!!
    I am P!$$3D!!!!

So AC has great physics. May even as good as iRacing. Maybe the best. And their interface is this pooched!!! Obviously there's monkeys in every company. So, then, where the hell is "SUPPORT". You need to be Stephen Hawking with full mobility of your hands to find it on AC's website. Can you help me? What is wrong with my setup. I am running Windows 10 (against my wishes). Logitech 5.10 software for the G25. It is so weird. The cars steering moves PERFECTLY until it starts rolling. (Maybe it is because I am running on the Imola track and the Williams team welded my steering column like they did for Aryton Senna. And anyone who anyone knows it snapped. Except Damon Hill, oddly enough.)

Bolibompa likes this.
  13. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

ROFL

nate and Horus like this.
  14. Horus

Horus Alien

For my first guess, as you should be creating a thread of your own with log files, would be that you have speed sensitivity on, that using the new logitech software is not a good move as many have pointed out it is broken and lastly it takes a few days to get used to running AC as it is not an arcade game. I would advise you to start your own thread, make a signature with your PC spec's and then give the community time to answer your questions.

Good luck.

edit: If you own the game on a PC then you really should be associating your steam account to this one. The FAQ have everything you need to be successful at that if nothing else. :)

marcinmarcin79, liakjim and LeDude83 like this.
  15. this.. and also, associate your steam account, that's the first step if you want support on the PC side.

Eero and marcinmarcin79 like this.
  16. Shakotan

Shakotan Racer

That is of course not how I went about this and not what I am saying at all. I am not surprised, and it didn't get wonky. This is the result of weeks of systematically trying to figure out how to improve the feel when you go over a crest or through a compression. And the only thing that seemed to make a difference was LS_EXPX. That is all. Not bashing the physics or complaining about anything. Just saying that the way LS_EXPX and LS_EXPY work together might not give the perfect result right now. I don't get all the drama to be honest. It was just an observation.

Also, not what I am saying. And it doesn't break at all. In fact, the changes are quite subtle. All that happens is that the car will change it's reaction to throttle input mid corner. It will rotate on lift and settle at gentle throttle application. Like a car. Nothing more, nothing less. No weird bugs or strange behaviour. It's very hard to capture this on video, as it's more a feel thing. The actual changes to the cars behaviour are pretty subtle once dialled in.

You keep underestimating me and getting my words wrong on purpose. Of course I understand the formula and the theory behind it. As you say, it's quite simple. That is not the point. I have no way of knowing what's going on behind the surface. I am merely a customer comparing the sim to real life and trying to figure out why it doesn't feel the same.

I made the mistake of thinking that my real life experience could be of value to you. Apparently, that is not the case, and that is fine. I didn't post here to make enemies or to hate on the sim that I love and play for hours every day. And to be honest, I don't understand why this is such a big deal. If I am wrong, why waste all this energy fighting me? Why not just ignore me? There's nothing I can do about it anyway. I am not a threat. Yet, you took this extremely personally and seem to have a need to publicly insult me for no other reason than to prove dominance and boost your ego. Not how I would expect a grown man to act, but whatever makes you feel good about yourself. If treating me like **** makes your day better, go right ahead. I am here for you and can take it ;)

Anyway, I have better things to do than to argue with trolls on the internet, and so do you. Back to work, buddy. I won't bother you about this anymore. Let me just leave with this little quote from someone you might respect more than myself:

"What we really don't have is the part where the car starts sliding. Because there is no data, there is no accepted theory how you do that. And I think it's interesting becaouse each one of us is coming with a different approach and a different solution to that. The problem is that we cannot write a scientific paper on it because there is not data to validate what we are trying to do. So it's really this sort of black art." -Stefano Casillo

17. k I am convinced.

As of today, @Aristotelis is fired because not needed anymore, and I ordered a box of these:

[​IMG]

PREPARE TO BE AMAZED PEOPLE!!!!!
    The magical world of random numbers is coming to Assetto Corsa.

18. DrHouseDK

DrHouseDK Rookie

Instead of making this a p*ssing contest, why not just put the cards on the table, and argue why you are right, instead of going into "Hey, I'm boss so I'm right!"-mode? I'd honestly really like to see the arguments on both sides of the table, as to why it's wrong.

All I am wondering is how a 30 kph slide on a dry Nürburgring is impossible to get under control, and why I can easily to through Adenauer Forst around 10 kph faster in my daily driver E91 330d with a not-very-interesting Bilstein B12 suspension and Hankook Ventus S1 Evos, than the E92 M3 in the game.

I'm not pointing any fingers here - I'm here to learn and understand.

Bolibompa, ericRacer, NFS76 and 5 others like this.
  19. Glad Im not the only one thinking that the cars feel too sloppy, especially the street ones. I think you brought yourself the Kunos wrath in record times tho, even myself didnt get so much heat this fast :p

ericRacer, earlyapex and paul_wev like this.
  20. pretty amazed that I have to state the obvious.. but you do get the difference between expressing an opinion (ie. the cars are "sloppy") compared to the attempt to propose a "solution" that goes against more than 80 years of car dynamic theory... right? Tell me you do see the difference :)

WallyM, Eero, Nick Moxley and 3 others like this.