1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

less cpu intensive ai would be great

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Whipdiddywhip, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

Afterburner doesn't cause issues. I know ppl are gonna say there's something in my system causing cpu usage but trust me there isn't. It's this game with a high grid count. Modded cars are worse than some of the kudos cars but it still happens.

Like I said in the opening post with a high grid in rfactor 2 my gpu still gets 99% usage. In ac it's bottlenecked by the cpu

2. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Yeah, I'll say there's something wrong in your system, or your game settings. Maybe reflections are set to high? I'm not sure tho how much of that may relate to CPU.

I have the same CPU you have, and the rest of my setup is in my signature. I have no problem running grids with 23 AI, Kunos cars or mod grids (like URD EGT for example). I don't get the 99% CPU warnings, and for ahat it's worth I hardly ever dip under 70FPS apart from the start when everything is full of smoke :)

detoit likes this.
  3. You might be onto something. Can't see how you've managed to get that bad bottleneck with a 6700K though. With Kunos cars the GPU load is steady 98% until some car goes past your car and the GPU load drops about 15%. At the very same moment CPU load doesn't show huge spikes so I can't say where the bottleneck comes from. Didn't get any CPU occupancy messages but I didn't waste too much time for it.

[​IMG]

4. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

I don't get 99% cpu warnings. You misread. It's not my system it's the game

5. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

That sounds the same. With modded cars it's even worse. I'm assuming it's the cpu that's bottlenecked.

6. GPU load was ~10% lower with the mod car (Formula Hybrid) than with the Kunos car (Ferrari SF-15T).

I'm also assuming it's the CPU but it looks weird when the same monitoring software which shows clear dip in GPU load does not show clear spike in CPU load.

7. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

Sorry if I misread. There was a lot of talk of 99% CPU warinings, I thought you got those.
    But what exactly is the problem then? Do you get freezes or FPS drops? If you do, those may come from mod apps or graphics settings.

8. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

First, I didn't say that the AI code is what causes the high load on the CPU. Quite honestly, I don't know.
    I just gave a hint, that you can't blindly say that it's the AI code, because a large, if not the bigger, portion of the CPU usage could be the car physics.

Anyway, looking at the other thread, I don't see any indication of Stefano saying that the AI calculations are CPU intensive.
    It appears that the problem is complex and maybe the calculations are as well, but that does not say anything about how the CPU usage would be distributed across the respective code parts.
    Saying that something is complex will really not tell you anything about how fast/slow the calculations are going to be, especially not in relation to other complex stuff.
    Really, Stefano is the only one who could tell us which part is the CPU-heavy one, we can just speculate.

9. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Unless you're seeing the "99% cpu occupancy" message the CPU as it relates to ai/physics is not the bottleneck in whatever performance issues you're having.

10. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

Then it must be the game client itself that cannot keep up and is bottlenecked

11. Stereo

Stereo Alien

What symptoms are you even having? Low framerate would be because of your gpu / graphics settings (high AA, high reflections = low fps with lots of cars) AI calculations and physics run at a fixed rate, which gives the 99% notice if it can't reach that rate, and won't affect fps.

12. rd.king

rd.king Hardcore Simmer

Hey Whip post your specs, post a bench test.
    We'd like to help you solve the issue your having but the info isn't clear.
    I can run 36 AI at Spa with all my setting just about pegged and Vsink on.
    I get a solid 60 Fps on my 8 year old system.

13. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

The only other thing I can think is the game client itself can't handle it

14. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

Running at 60 isn't a problem. It's when you want to run at higher fps or for vr then something is clearly stopping hardware running at it fullest

Msi afterburner stats in top left
    [​IMG]

15. RReed43

RReed43 Hardcore Simmer

Stefano has already been clear that each AI car runs its own physics meaning EACH AI car adds a linear load to the demands for calculations. Today's explanation from Stefano made it clear that additional calculations were needed for each AI car to calculate the maximum speed anticipated for the up coming corner. He indicated that many of the inconsistency in AI performance are associated with modeling elevation change effects on maximum corner speed. In addition I'm sure that the computations to "drive" each car are also very complex. In net this means that the number of AI cars is very important in the total CPU load.

Overall this approach gives Assetto Corsa the POTENTIAL to have AI which is completely realistic but commits it to be computationally demanding. It also means that as improvements are made in the physics engine the benefits in realism incur to both the player and the realism of the AI competitors.

16. Stereo

Stereo Alien

There's no way to have AI be less than a linear load unless you just stop simulating some of them though.

Considering your game is at 95fps with no 100% cpu your game seems to just be running fine, I don't know what the "bottleneck" is about.

17. There clearly is some dips in GPU load when AI car goes past your car, there's no question about that. Bottleneck (and therefore framerate dip) like that is not something you'd want to see while banging doors with another car.

Might be worth checking out..

18. liakjim

liakjim Alien

@Whipdiddywhip
    What gpu do you have?
    You can bottleneck any component depending the game settings.
    If I go to minimum graphics settings I will bottleneck my cpu and the opposite if I go to maximum .

If you try with a 1080ti at 1080p for example you will bottleneck the cpu.

AC is indeed more harsh in cpu but a modest i5 like mine 4460 has no trouble with 23 ai cars.

Please upload your logs and all your settings to see is there is some problem.

19. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

GPU is only at 40% or so, that's being bottlenecked. If you have a 144hz monitor it's not running fine

20. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien