1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Discuss rFactor2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Ace Pumpkin, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

AC FFB has a sudden falloff when going over the threshold of front grip whereas AMS and rF2 rely on a progressive build-up of resistance leading up to grip-loss and then it just stays at that level over the threshold. It can take some getting used to - especially from AC to AMS / rF2 but, it can be equally effective when combined with audio cues.

Tiago Fortuna and Traind like this.
  2. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I gave rF2 another good go today and – as suggested – did try some of the open wheelers.
    First the MR01, which I remember was one of the rF2 highlights back in 2012, when I originally bought the game.
    Boy that thing feels weird. Exactly like I remembered it from back then. Floating around like crazy, with very weird understeer.
    I don't know, maybe the default setup just sucks, maybe the car sucks, but I don't really get along with it at all.
    I'm surely no expert on open wheelers, I do admit, but I do know my way around them and I have no issues whatsoever to drive the SF15-T, the F138 and the Exos S1 at pace, but that MR01, I have no idea what do.
    Also those tyres. I don't know if it's because the Pirelli tyres back then were so weird or if it's the tyre model in the sim, but I don't get along with them at all.
    Was driving mediums, because that was forced by the track (Sepang), even when driving in practice mode (why on earth would they do that? :rolleyes:). Looked for an option to override it, but couldn't find one.
    Anyway, couldn't get any temp into the tyres, they stay at around 70°C no matter what I do. The only way to get a bit of heat seems to be skidding around which however only results in some sudden heat and is gone after about 3s.
    Then I tried the ISI 2012, which is pretty much the same except that it's different? Does the same weird stuff though, very undefined.
    Also does some weird wiggle on the brake. Could understand if a car is unstable on the brake due to a strong rear bias, but this was different.
    Same problem with the tyres, making the car weird to drive.
    So I thought I should try a car with different tyres, selected the F3.5, but even with that I had the same issues with the tyres, is that just bad luck? Have my doubts.

But ok, maybe it's just me having issues with the physics of the game and the tyre model, so back to the FFB.
    For each car, I set the multiplier to 50% (it's really annoying that you have to do that for each car individually!), which should result in a scaled FFB just above a CSWv2.
    The overall FFB strength felt ok. Curbs were actually ok as well. Not as pronounced as in AMS, but at believable strength, maybe similar to AC, except that the differences in load are more pronounced.
    Also different curbs seem to have a better granularity in FFB strength depending on the curb type.
    What I also liked was the increase in the wheel force alignment with increasing speed (and thus increasing downforce and angular momentum), which was roughly how I expected it.

However … that was just about everything I liked about the FFB. Some things seem just overly pronounced to me.
    Bumps e.g. almost rip the wheel out of your hand sometimes. Sorry, but if you compare the effect to curbs (which quite often have a more extreme topography than track bumps), then this is just too much.
    Also apart from the mentioned effects above, which I could describe, there is some weird stuff going on in the FFB, which I can't attribute to anything I would expect from the track or the car in the situation.
    I can't really feel if the front wheels have grip and also struggled to feel if there is grip overall.
    So in summary, I've got the best driving as soon as I started to almost completely ignore the FFB and just do whatever I thought I should do in the respective situations.

So sorry, not saying that rF2 is bad, has bad physics or a bad tyre model. But it certainly isn't for me, I really don't get along with this game.
    Which is a shame, because I really liked rF1 and especially the CTDP F1 2006 mod for it.

Ace Pumpkin, Gevatter and liakjim like this.
  3. liakjim

liakjim Alien

@Berniyh try the Honda NSX , the Nissan GT1 and the Brabham BT20.
    These cars are my rf2 top 3.

4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Maybe tomorrow, but tbh, my motivation to try more of rF2 didn't really increase with todays session.

Just for comparison, I jumped into the SF15 in AC afterwards and instantly felt the limit and was able to push the car.
    I really feel at home in AC, I really don't in rF2.

LeDude83 likes this.
  5. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

If you don't like the formula ISI then you should probably give up on RF2 lol.

The only chance left is to try the historics....particularly the 60s F1 cars and a few old tin tops. If you don't like those then give up and focus elsewhere, imo.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

sherpa25 and Dean Ogurek like this.
  6. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I think you might be right there. ;)

7. Gevatter

Gevatter Alien

I came to that conclusion yesterday, as I just couldn't get that brutal rattling that occures on rumble strips tuned out in any way. The Historics in rF2 feel good, but so do the ones in AC. So I finally uninstalled rF2 and will stay with AC and AMS. It still makes me sad somehow.

8. chakko

chakko Alien

I dunno if you guys tried the USF2000, but, if you haven't already, try that car. It really feels good IMO. I wasn't too fond of the Dallara Indycar though. Like in iRacing, i don't feel the limit with that car. The limit in the USF2000 is pretty apparent though. ;) And driving in the wet is a LOT of fun. Nonetheless, AC will surely stay my fav sim though. rF2 is a bit of a pain to set up, and get into. And the multiplayer is abandoned, compared to AC.

BTW, if anyone drives both rF2 and iRacing, what do you think of the difference between the Skip Barber car in rF2 and in iRacing? The rF2 Skippy feels like driving on ice, lol. With the often quoted, extreme lift off oversteer. Actually, real life Skip Barber drivers to my knowledge often stated that you always have to give a little bit of throttle in the corners, to prevent oversteer. You can totally drive like that in rF2. In iRacing, the car feels very grippy, but, with quite a lot of understeer, and almost no lift off oversteer, or the stated throttle throughout the corner to prevent oversteer. Interesting, that they're so different. It's almost day and night. Someone surely didn't make his homework.

9. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Skippy's: there are some similarities between the titles but, the rF2 version requires some setup tweaks to get the tail stabilized but, I don't consider it "icey" really. rF2 needs time to rubber in the track too but, the wheel being used has a lot to do with how grip is perceived IMO. With high torque systems the grip level can feel massive through the FFB.:)

10. chakko

chakko Alien

It surely has a LOT less grip than other cars though. Which is fair enough, as the Skippy drives road tires, which are also quite hard, AFAIK, so, there won't be a lot of grip. IMO, the iRacing version rather feels like the tires are more like slick tires. Doesn't feels as sluggish, and good-natured.

11. Traind

Traind Hardcore Simmer

Default setups in those cars are probably very different. I do not spend much time in them but I can tell you that the 60s F1 cars can feel like two completely different Vehicles depending on how the car is set up.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk 2

12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

That's the case for most cars actually.
    It's also something that came to my mind when testing the cars above.
    However, I do expect the default setup to be at least somewhat sensible and a good base.

13. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Simracer

they need to let rf2 die and start a new game, one that belongs in modern times, all this frankensteining they are doing is just making it worse, plus rf2 has too little worth while content

LeDude83 likes this.
  14. liakjim

liakjim Alien

Actually I think that they need to focus more in improving the physics area. Still lacking dirt pick up ex. Graphics are more than descent now. Content from Studio397 is not on par with ISI's IMO.
    Yesterday night I had a 150 laps practice session with friends with formula Renault 3.5 at Montreal. It was a blast. This sun has something special. I still prefer AC's feeling when above limit ( I suffer from dead wheel when countersteer in oversteer in rf2 ) but still, I will always shoot rf2 from time to time.

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

15. liakjim

liakjim Alien

This sim I meant. Lol

Στάλθηκε από το m2 note μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

16. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

I what take from here is that the problem is not the physics is the FFB... Interesting :D

I like rF2 though, I always did (can't say the same about rF1 though) but I don't get well with open-wheelers although I have to say, that the FR3.5 is something very well done according to what I think it should be. And when the track is rubbered in is even better. I do like the way it develops as the time passes.

In the wet ... I don't remember. Need to try it again one of this days. I really enjoyed this car... and others ofc even if not ISI.

Honourable mention to the Clio. Wonderful races on this one in particular even in a very competitive door to door action in the wet on short(er) tracks.

The worse part of rF2 though is the setups. I don't recall having one that I could use by default to at least try to be competitive. Maybe they just didn't suit my (lack of) style :)

17. chakko

chakko Alien

What i always notice is that other sims just don't get me the feeling in AC's FFB, that i'm actually driving a car. It's always a bit weird, synthetic, unnatural, while the one in AC feels VERY natural. All the bumps in the suspension, the weight transfer and load, it feels very realistic. In iRacing e.g., i find the FFB almost "edgy", and the steering resistance is much too exaggerated, and unlike i would really expect it from a car. Not to mention the lack of feedback on oversteering. In AC, i feel it instantly, when the car is oversteering. In iRacing, i mostly have to rely on what i hear, what is 1. not realistic (or even happening in tin top cars), and 2. not very accurate, because it's always better to get physical feedback. The rF2 FFB is ok, but, i still would say it's a bit of a synthetic feel. It's better than iRacing's FFB though, IMO. At least i'm halfway feeling what is going on.

VFX Pro and Berniyh like this.
  18. Tiago Fortuna

Tiago Fortuna Simracer

One could play the but "it's where RL drivers are" card though...

Think is, iR has one hell of a multiplayer system that basically makes it easier to petrolheads do what they love most any time. I don't particular dislike iR (except for the renting system). IT took me a while to just enter a car and go.

But as anything knew I had to get to the configuration's first then adjust to the cars. And every little click in the setups count and make a huge difference.

That's why it also makes it harder than it should. In iR I think you really need to just lap the car on default and adapt to it first.

But similar to rF2, temps and rubber in the track makes the cars behave better. But I do have to agree with you @chakko it feels a bit digital and last time I tried the transitions were a bit harsher. Actually, more on AC side than rF2 if you ask me.

iR though, had at the time the best weight shifting feel (not just sideways) of all. In particular under braking which to me was always a problem then.

Need to try iR one of this days (again) :)

19. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

The thing with AC is that for 9 out of 10 cars, you jump into it and it fees "alright" and you can at least push the car a little bit.
    (Of the rest, maybe half of them have a Lotus batch on their bonnet. :p :D)
    And then with usually minor setup tweakings, you can really start to push the car.

I've never driven iRacing and never will, but at least for rF2 and to some degree also for AMS, it seems as if the variation is much stronger.
    There might be some cars which feel good, but there seem to be some that feel just weird, hence people keep suggesting other cars.

But yes, iRacing definitely has the highest number of real race drivers.
    Not sure if I really care, tbh. :p

20. Most of those real life racers take the racing even less serious than the crash kiddies; a few of them do take it serious though.
    Sorry for OT, thought this was the iracing thread......oops