1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Some restrictor research

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by WallyM, Dec 31, 2017.

1. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I did some research into using restrictor and ballast as a BoP measure. Ballast has the disadvantages of changing the handling and feel of the car, as well as impacting tyre wear badly. Using the restrictor to slow cars down is more appealing. But is the restrictor as linear as ballast (i.e. does double the restrictor double the slowing)? The answer is no.

I did some experiments letting an AI drive the Ferrari 599XX EVO around Red Bull Ring, at different levels of restrictor, and ballast (using a custom championship). I then plotted average lap times at different levels of handicap. As expected, the ballast is pretty linear - i.e. more ballast has a linear effect on lap times.

But here's the graph of restrictor versus the percentage lap time slow down.

Capture.PNG

You can see that it's non-linear - more restrictor slows the car down even more. Using a trendline in Google Sheets, the graph is best approximated by a power equation:

% increase in lap time = 0.0327 x Restrictor ^ 1.98​

If you want to go the other way - i.e. figure out how much restrictor to add to slow a car down by x% - you can solve with:

Restrictor = exp((ln(%Increase) - ln(0.0327))/1.98)*10​

E.g. if a lap time is 1:40, but you want to slow it down to 1:41.5 for BoP - this is a lap time increase of 1.5%

Using the restrictor equation above, you get Restrictor = 69%.

Now, this is all based on one car at one track. In future, I'd do some more experiments with different cars (turbo vs normally aspirated etc) and different tracks, to see if a power equation is still the best fit to the data points in general.

UPDATE
    Here's the restrictor graph for the Ferrari 458 GT2. For this car, the restrictor is linear. So the effect of restrictor on laptimes can be very different from car to car.
    Although for this car in particular, the effect of the restrictor might be different because
    Capture.JPG

And here's the Pagani Zonda R. Back to a more exponential looking increase, but interestingly now not really affected up to 25% restrictor.

Capture.JPG

McLaren P1 GTR
    Has a weird dropoff with the rate of slowing decreasing at 100% restrictor. Maybe closer to linear?

Capture.JPG

Here are the restrictor curves alongside the torque/power curves (as calculated by CM):

Ferrari 599XX EVO
    Capture.PNG F599xxevo.JPG

Ferrari 458 GT2
    Capture.JPG Ferrar458GT2.JPG

Pagani Zonda R
    Capture.JPG zonda.JPG

McLaren P1 GTR
    Capture.JPG mclarenp1gtr.JPG

What does it all mean? I don't know. Just that increasing restrictor affects every car differently!

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Mudguts, V8_KB, chksix and 12 others like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Bug reports ACC Restrictor parameter Feb 7, 2024
    ACC Multiplayer Restrictor not working Apr 25, 2021
    General modding discussion Config file for ballast and restrictor Oct 22, 2019
    Chit Chat Room Ballast or restrictor? Jun 8, 2018
    Chit Chat Room Ballast and Restrictor settings in CM, I'm befuddled. Mar 2, 2018
    Physics Bugs & Issues Audi TT cup and restrictor plate Oct 10, 2017
    Suggestions Is there a BoP / Restrictor calculator circling around? Jul 4, 2017
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Restrictor Plates Feb 19, 2016
    Suggestions Intake restrictor Aug 18, 2015
    General modding discussion AI Research Integration Jul 17, 2020
    Chit Chat Room Great videos that can help with temperatures research Mar 12, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Using assetto corsa in academic research - no idea how to contact kunos properly Nov 22, 2015
    3D car models Request: regular street car 3d model for research project Aug 19, 2015
    Physics modding - Cars & Tyres Research: car inertia Nov 22, 2014

3. martcerv

martcerv Alien

One thing with restrictor testing with AI is they shift at the same rpm so adding restrictor if they shifted up a bit sooner would likely lose less time. A human can generally figure this out but AI are unlikely to be coded by this, the data with AI will be a good baseline but as with most forms of BOP a good driver may find better ways to lose less with these. Either by setup changes or altering basic driving adjustments, it would be nice to have a list of BOP effects on certain cars using your method however. As it should still be a relatively good indicator of performance impact for the majority of human drivers that tend not to look for alternative ways to deal with BOP effects.

Horus likes this.
  4. Horus

Horus Alien

There are some very clever buggers out there. Happy New Year to all you Genius types.

5. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Huh, I didn't know the restrictor was modeled that way. I guess cars with existing restrictors (458 GT2, '13 F1 car?) won't feel any extra restriction until it's set pretty high as a result since you don't drive them to redline.

6. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Do not confuse the rev limiter of the engine with the air restriction value for BoP; they are not the same.

Even with maximum air restriction the engine still revs to the same rpm, it just has less air to use to combust the fuel so the top of the power graph should have a lower plateau rather than a higher single peak.

(*afaik ;) )

Michael Hornbuckle likes this.
  7. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

I guess those restrictors have been implemented within the power graph, so additional BoP restrictors will apply normally.

8. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Right, but if how it works is "10% restrictor = 10% less throttle possible at max rpm (90-100% of pedal just opening the engine up 90%), dropping to 0% at 90% of max rpm" then if a car shifts at 80% of redline you won't notice it at all until 30-40% restricted.

9. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Nope, read my post above, you are still confusing rev limiter with air restriction. They are not the same.

10. Minolin

Minolin Staff Member KS Dev Team

Well at least the Ferrari GT2 has some "simulated" air intake restriction instead of a rev limiter which is way older than the real BoP restrictors

edit:
    upload_2017-12-31_13-19-53.png

LeiF likes this.
  11. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Here is an example of what happens when reducing the diameter of the air intake (i.e. reducing the amount of air the engine can take in at once).

This is basically what the AC Air Restrictor BoP value does, it lowers the maximum amount of air the engine can take in. This doesn't make a difference low down, but at the top end it reduces power developed. IT DOES NOT reduce the max RPM of the engine.

See this graph for a general idea:
    As the diameter of the air intake decreases, the power graph plateaus at the top end.

[​IMG]

Source: https://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/supercharger/universal_kit/restrictor.html
    (yeah its from a supercharged engine but the effect remains the same).

Edit @Minolin - ah fair enough, that is a little bit of a corner case that I wasn't aware of, but in general I believe my point stands :)

Neilski likes this.
  12. Stereo

Stereo Alien

I'm not confusing them, if you think I am then my post is not as clear as it should be. Your graph is exactly the same as what I'm describing.

13. LeiF

LeiF Alien

Fair enough I may have misinterpreted you, no hard feelings sir :)

14. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I’m using a BOP system in a league, with both ballast and restrictor plate. We quickly learned that penalizing with 100% restrictor and downwards 90%, 80% etc, was the wrong way to go. As of now, pole gets 25%, 2nd 24% etc.
    Ballast is used in conjuction with laptimes vs average grid, so if you’re very fast, but crash out and therefore avoid a high restrictor penalty, you get ballast anyway so you won’t fly past everyone easily next race. It works, but took a few races to balance out the grid. The good thing is that it makes the league exiting to the end, no one knows who certainly will win the season. The downside has been that not everyone enjoys driving with even slight restriction and starts complaining.

Nice work Willy, makes good sense :)

WallyM and Schnipp like this.
  15. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Nice one Wally! (For a moment you had me thinking that the restrictor was a waste of time, since a 0.04% increase in laptime isn't really worth bothering with, but then I realised it was the fractional increase, not percentage increase :p:D)

The question about how the optimal upshift timing should vary (i.e. torque curve shape) with restrictor has me interested as well - has anyone actually made any telemetry measurements to prove how the restrictor is implemented in AC? If not I might have a go for the sake of curiosity. (And if nobody has a better suggestion I might as well choose the same car as Wally for the first attempt.)

16. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I only assumed it was done in the same way as the cars ingame that already have some restriction built in by either fuel flow like some of the modern f1 cars, or air like some gt cars. I havent really tested much with the ingame restrictor but if you would test and show the telemetry to see how its implemented it would be useful to many.

17. WallyM

WallyM Alien

Yes, a human may well adjust differently, but the AI has the advantage of being much more consistent, for testing. Plus, the AI is happily driving around and around right now while I type :)

Neilski and martcerv like this.
  18. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Will have a go at generating some curves.
    I think I already learned the answer to my main question though - i.e. "is the shape of the torque curve affected?": the answer seems to be yes, as you guys were assuming.
    It's not exactly a definitive result yet though - all I've done so far is to run some single-player practice sessions on the test pad. I discovered that there's a console command "set restrictor" which I'm assming for the time being does the same thing as the multiplayer server restrictor. You can apparently set it to any value you like, including values way in excess of 100 (and negative values!). When I set it to something very large (I think it was 100000) I discovered that the terminal velocity in 4th gear was much lower than that in 6th, so the power peak had moved to a much lower engine speed.
    Will do some "proper" tests with 0 and 100 though...

19. WallyM

WallyM Alien

My experiences too. I've been using restrictor recently more than ballast, but as I'm finding out, restrictor is not as linear as ballast. People also complain too with restrictor that they are as fast as everyone else in the corners, but then get blown away on the straights. I think too that a mix of ballast and restrictor would be the best overall approach.

20. Tberg

Tberg Alien

I have my system on Google sheet, if interested.
    Here's the thread where it's shared to the league:
    http://precisionracingleague.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=1182

WallyM likes this.
  21. WallyM

WallyM Alien

I added a bunch of other cars and power/torque curves in the 1st post.