1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Some restrictor research

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by WallyM, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Good - Aki always needs lots of ballast! :D

Oh gosh, rather surprising that the curves are so different in shape! I assumed it could only be related to the shapes of the torque curves until I actually looked at your curves and the variations between them didn't look... I dunno, entirely correlated with the restrictor behaviour... o_O

[Edit: would be interesting to note the AI up-shift RPM for each car, and perhaps see if it varies (a) with gear and (b) with restriction. I'd guess probably "yes" for (a) and "no" for (b)...]

Btw, the AC built-in powergraph looks somewhat different to the CM one for the 599XX Evo - see pic below. [Edit: maybe it's just that the built-in curve isn't using the correct max RPM value, unlike CM which probably reads it directly from the engine INI file.]
    upload_2017-12-31_23-15-22.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  2. Stereo

Stereo Alien

See, this is why the quadratic changes make sense to me as a top end restriction:

[​IMG]
    If you look at a nice linear power curve like the Zonda has, then limiting it to, say, 40% less than max HP cuts out a triangle of power - the change in area under the curve is what leads to lap times being quadratic, as the area of that triangle is 1/2*rpm*power

[​IMG]
    Then for the 458, If it's based on percentage of the max power, it could end up being something like this - so for the first range of restriction, it's acting over a fixed amount of rpm, meaning the overall lap time loss is ~3000*power, and you just get a linear change.

I drew these to both reduce the same amount of power at 40% + 20% restrictors, not to match the actual curves of the cars though.

Neilski likes this.
  3. Neilski

Neilski Alien

I like that idea, @Stereo - sounds plausible in terms of what's going on.
    I've finished a very half-baked check on the 599XX Evo case, with just two runs so far - 0% and 100% restrictor.
    First comment: 100% is not quite enough restriction to change the optimal upshift RPM to something lower than the limiter (very nearly enough though).
    The (I repeat, half-baked) power and torque curves for those two cases are shown in the plots below. [Edit: effective power in this case is my not-fully-corrected power-to-tarmac figure.]
    upload_2018-1-1_1-9-45.png
    upload_2018-1-1_1-10-6.png

4. Stereo

Stereo Alien

Hmm, that looks like 33% power loss at 9000 rpm, about 10% at 4000... so I guess it is triangular, but extends a lot further down the power curve. Maybe to 0% at idle, or at 0rpm?

5. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Mmm, could be. I need to muck around a little bit more with the data to let me divide one curve by the other - will do that later (and also attempt to extend the data to lower RPM for fun).

6. Neilski

Neilski Alien

OK, have generated a basic pic with the fractional power (or torque) available at 50% and 100% restrictor vs. RPM.
    It's awfully linear-looking ;)
    (Can't really get much lower in revs cos the auto-clutch kicks in.)
    upload_2018-1-2_0-28-41.png