1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Steering input AC & real life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andy-R, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Whenever I make comparison videos I notice there is a often more input IRL than in AC. Even when I try to exaggerate my inputs to match the real thing.

What is the reason for this? Is it to do with the size of the wheel or something else. If it is to do with steering wheel size I think I would rather have roughly correct amount of input needed than correct turns lock to lock in a sim. Could it be just a mixture of RL driver being shaken around and more on edge? Could it be because my FFB is too low?

A few of the older cars like the 935 have steering that doesn't feel so direct but a lot of the cars I have compared there is a lot less input ingame than IRL, both in micro adjustments on the straights and adjustments and corrections mid corner.

I often delete my videos after a while but here are a few examples
    (I was really trying to exaggerate my inputs to match the real car in the 918)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Ps4 G29 Steeringwheel and pedal input are not werking. Dec 28, 2021
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions XBox - Defaulting to Controller, no pedal or steering wheel input recognised??? May 1, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Steering 2X Input Apr 8, 2021
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Logitech G29 steering inputs are double what they should be Jan 26, 2021
    ACC User Interface Suggestion : Steering input HUD Nov 1, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals Reduce Steering Wheel Inputs for TSW? Apr 24, 2020
    ACC Troubleshooting "helmet camera view" turning left and right with steering input Mar 6, 2020
    ACC Controls & Peripherals ATTENTION DEVS!!!: steering wheel combine with keyboard input!! SHIFT UP/SHIFT DOWN Jan 7, 2020
    General modding discussion HUB dummies rotate continually based on steering input Jan 3, 2019
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues T300 and steering wheel wobble on no input Nov 30, 2017
    Programming Language - Apps - GUI Themes Use Python for steering, gas and brake input? May 17, 2017
    Physics Bugs & Issues Alfa 155 ti incorrect steering wheel input Oct 11, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Alfa romeo giulietta steering input ratio Oct 17, 2014
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues steering wheel input loss Jun 6, 2014
    Controllers and Peripherals Bugs & Issues loss of steering and pedal input (solved: USB wifi drivers conflict) Feb 23, 2014

3. Horus

Horus Alien

It's because you drive like a pussy, grow up and drive like a MAN! ;•)

Michel, Alexandr66, juandb78 and 4 others like this.
  4. dermonty

dermonty Hardcore Simmer

One reason could be, that we would need super high quality wheels like strong and fast DD wheels. One driver said when you watch a GT3 driver he is not always making correction moves, its often just the forces coming through the wheel. But I am no expert, so this is no fact and just what I heard about. So feel free to correct this, I'm interested as well.

Point 2: Simulation software will always be just a simplified representation of reality limited by calculation power. Also the real world models from physicists like Newton or Einstein are just "simplified" models of the real thing for certain areas.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    Andy-R likes this.
  5. Too little required steering input would likely mean the optimum slip angles of the tires are too low (otherwise it would be the actual steering ratio being wrong).

Edit: and regarding the corrections, tires are incredibly complex, so in real life you'll always have more intricacy than in a sim. Coupled with a lack of G-Forces and some differences in the feedback of the steering wheel, this is probably the cause of the discrepancy.

xystof, ALB123, mantasisg 2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Neilski

Neilski Alien

Yeah, I've always kinda assumed that this is what is going on (partly because some of the input is insanely fast, fairly oscillatory, and in response to nothing that we can see), but you do wonder sometimes...

Andy-R and Horus like this.
  7. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

One AC video with A LOT of input.;)
    Wheel Thrustmaster T150

8. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

I have the same feeling. I thought it had to do with the fact that my G27 allows a maximum of 900°, but obviously it isn't related to it (you have a T500 if I'm not mistaken).

Andy-R likes this.
  9. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

When I watch good drivers driving, they are also so chill and smooth, when I drive then it is more like IRL :D

It is much down to skill of being able to plant down the car, if it is realistic IDK, but surely there are some kind of windows, which you, aliens, are able to find.

I have learned that wheel settings in combination has to do a lot. Do you use Gyro ?

Regarding the Ford GT40, you know it, that they race heavier GT40s and with skinnier tires than we have in AC, which makes them move more. Also it is always a bit oily, and sometimes also damp, also cement dusts and stuff... Also AC probably simulates cars in their theoretical best performance, IRL cars may have lots of unique little issues...

10. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Could it even be all the feedback coming through our wheel that makes it not so necessary to use such input in game? You often see people sawing at the wheel IRL which I have never found myself doing ingame. < I mean entering or mid corner, off or partial throttle, I would do it when trying to exit the corner.

Yep the GT40 there is a different car, it's a "65 and no idea if stock but it feels like I'm not having to input as much as I would imagine is needed in a lot of cars. In pretty much all comparison videos I've made I'm not driving at the limit so if anything it is from under driving but I get the feeling I should have to use more input in quite a lot of cars.

11. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I suppose you don't use gyro and damping maybe.

I use something like half damping both in profiler and in Gyro settings, makes it more natural.

If it is not that, then maybe it is fear which makes drivers to keep checking for grip or something, something psychological maybe. Maybe tracks has much more uneven grip than they does in simulators, even in dry conditions, oils and marbles....

Maybe it is something that @mclarenf1papa said, which is very likely. Or anything undiscovered/unsimulated yet.

The one thing that comes to my mid is fuel tank sloshing, IDK if that is an issue. But if the fuel tank is half full/empty then I suppose fuel acts much differently than solid objects experiencing G effects. And if it is sloshing from side to side, then it could possibly influence some weird CoG oscillation. But I am just brainstorming, cars probably has something against sloshing in their fuel tanks, and maybe ~50-60liters of fuel moving a bit wouldn't cause so much trouble for 800-1200kg car in particular situations. Yeah probably.. fuel tanks are chambered so effects are minimum... I have no idea...

Interesting subject, will have what to think about, read net and watch youtube lol

By seeing how many material is on this issue, I thought, that perhaps it is already simulated, because seems like essential thing.

claudiopolez and Neilski like this.
  12. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

Lot of wheel movement

chksix likes this.
  13. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

If you record the live gameplay you will see much more wheel movement than a replay. RSS Formula 79

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    mantasisg 2 likes this.
  14. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Can you record live gameplay with porsche 918 at laguna seca?

15. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I wonder how other liquids affect the handling. Especially dry sump tanks, though wet sump is supposing to slush more, but maybe not ? Also dry sump is usually higher, I think.

Thats epic, this car has so much less downforce in slow curves lol. But this is powersliding/drifting... OP is more about quick little corrections, rather than big slide catches such as powerslides and drifting.

Andy-R likes this.
  16. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

IIRC the 918 was recorded using 96% grip and trying to copy the real life steering especially a couple of notable corrections. A bad example really maybe I shouldn't have included it.

It could be something my end, I just wondered if other people had the same experience or if there was something else that could explain it.

17. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

Try to record a live gameplay. The replay is simplified. The realtime physics are much better ☺

18. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Really ?

19. No.

(Well, it depends on the level of detail selected).

Neilski likes this.
  20. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

Yes sure. Test the difference. I have 2000 hours in ac.

21. On maximum detail the replay doesn't lose any fidelity compared to real time (and even on lower detail levels it's hard to notice much of a difference - it shows less detail per second so some of the finer details will be missed and the movements will seem less natural).