1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Steering input AC & real life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andy-R, Mar 10, 2018.

1. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

I don't agree man. You loose many little corrections with a replay. Too much work to make a video to compare but it would be cool to see the difference in slow motion.

2. Orne

Orne Alien

Not sure about this. I watch replays all the time and I've never noticed a difference, although I have my replays set at Ultra (64hz)

3. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

I made a real time video in two minutes. Not near perfect but it should work to show the wheel movement.

4. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

I'm not sure if people want realism or know what is realism. Although history always repeat. :p

5. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Lol only the tip of wheel is visible, and this is drifting, totally different business than this thread is about.

Regarding a replays in AC, I would partly agree, I often feel than in external views suspension movements seem slightly generic quite often, for example AC is not as enjoyable to watch in slowmotion than iRacing. Though not bad too. But thats different, because thats not a wheel movements, but suspension, and tire movements (btw ACC will have visual tire flex).

Regarding your theory, useful experiment would be to film yourself driving, and then add a video of onboard video from the game, so if there are any differences, they would be possible to see.

6. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

We are going a bit offtopic. The point is not how alive the steering is on AC, but if it has a realistic radius, or is reduced compared to reality.

7. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I do think FFB is a factor in this. We get more info than through a wheel IRL. You often see people turning in and back to centre and then in again when entering a corner IRL (example below 1:18) but I don't think I have done this ingame, I need to pay attention to my steering in the near future to see. As RL steering is more vague I think a lot of it is the driver trying to guage what is going on IRL where we can tell more easily with FFB.

baronesbc and mantasisg 2 like this.
  8. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

Andy you should drive like real life. The game has no issues

9. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

:rolleyes: Where did I say something is wrong with the game? I'm saying under normal driving (not countersteering on exit or drifting) there seems to be a disparity between my inputs and what I often see IRL. There could be many reasons, the detailed FFB we have ingame, something to do with my relatively low end wheel, just my driving, something to do with the sim itself etc etc. I don't understand why people get all defensive about the game when you are just trying to understand what is going on.

10. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I do a whole lot of fast, small corrections at the wheel in AC. I also remember AC vs RL videos (some 911 on NS?!?) where this aspect aligned pretty well.

Isn't it a matter of personal preference, too? Corrections at the wheel can in many cases also be done with throttle and brake. I'm pretty smooth with my feet, maybe others might be smoother at the wheel and do more footwork.

juandb78 likes this.
  11. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I thought that discussion was about car missing some "micro" slides in some cases. There are many videos where drivers use to do lots of those little frequent corrections. Happens in AC too, but perhaps it is less common, as sometimes it seems like every corner is like that in some onboards :D I have watched some videos now, seems like not all cars does this. Perhaps it happens if driver is able to push to the very limit, or perhaps down to particular type of tire and grip levels, maybe something with a steering feel not being absolutely precise... I have no idea, but there really is this little thing.

It is interesting to try understand it though. I have thought about liquids in a car sloshing and affecting car dynamics, maybe... I also have thought about tires flex, perhaps for some tires it is too perfect, especially lateral flex, tire is spring too, and I wonder how good some tires can damp oscilations, classic crossply tires, or road car tires probably will be worse at that than some high performance modern racing tires.

Would be epic to find external videos with good enough detail, and preferable slowmotion to see how it looks from outside when drivers has to do those little corrections.

@LeDude83 I think you are right, but I think that if you do corrections with throttle and brake you will have to steer anyway. I think it depends on how smooth it is possible to be with a certain car, on certain track and conditions.

baronesbc likes this.
  12. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I think it is engine braking + rear bump steer or/and something with camber at the rear... We have similar stuff for XJ13, and so many people said that it is bad and even horrible. I always thought that it is very immersive.

13. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

Difference is drastic in this example:

14. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Yep. I wonder if he is using 100% grip and possibly under driving to keep at the same pace as Randy. My first attempts looked similar even when trying to replicate some of the moments Randy had like T1 which is why I lowered the grip a bit so it looked more similar to RL input.

LeDude83 likes this.
  15. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

What is drastic? The guy in ac drives smoother.

16. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

Probably then I misunderstood, I thought Andy was referring to the fact that the steering in AC seems more direct than reality (and I totally agree on this point).
    About the inputs, it depends on cars and cars imho, but expecially on the driving style. I find myself doing a lot of corrections continuously on the steering, so what I see on real videos I see pretty similar in AC.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3is3e5

claudiopolez, Andy-R and juandb78 like this.
  17. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

Difference between steering inputs

18. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Well perhaps wheel profile and games configuration lock to lock degs doesn't match ? :D I had this issue once somehow messed up config degrees, and I found that if I have more steering degs in profiler than in games config, then things gets quite challenging hahaha, and afaik less challenging if profile has less degrees than games configuration. This actually could also be that, but I guess in replay steering would look normal anyway, or wouldn't it ? And you would still have to do a lot of tiny corrections, but perhaps if they would be so small with reduced degrees, then they would be difficult to notice.

How cars IRL gets adjusted their lock to lock degrees ? maybe it is possible to decalibrate steering for real car too ?

By the way, @Andy-R just wouldn't tell if he uses gyro.

I remember suggesting to turn on the gyro for one fast guy IRL, but for some reason he seemed like he lost his focus on me :D

19. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  20. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Not convincing to me, haven't seen those particular twitches @juandb78

Hey I think this is good video to examine the "phenomenon". Wel at least I think it is the same thing, just in a very big scale, so it is easy to observe. You can also slow down the video. The action is from 0:20 to 0:25.

Look how rear left tire flexes as it grips during oversteer, then sidewall acts like a spring and throws it back. And then car switches from oversteer to understeer - look at front left tire flexing, then it grips and tire springs back, and then little oversteer happens again. In this case speed is rather low, and aplitude of slides is great, so easy to observe. Look how driver fights those "micro" twitches, from tiny oversteer, to tiny understeer and so on till the car settles. Thats what I would like to happen in W 125 too, I guess.

I really think that we are talking about this effect, aren't we ? :D

Check it: