1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Steering input AC & real life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andy-R, Mar 10, 2018.

1. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

byeeee

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  2. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Yes that is more or less what I meant just trying to pin down what it is and seems to be mostly those small inputs on the straights and the turning and then back to centre on entry most of the time.

Mantas I have gyro off at the moment. I have used it for long periods in the past but it seemed strange in a few of the cars. Like a FFB surge in the opposite way to the way Im about to counter. Maybe I should turn it on again. Rotation is 1080 everywhere.

3. MrDeap

MrDeap Hardcore Simmer

Some interesting footage with a FWD car, starting at 0:30. You can see the back end steeping out of the lane, while the front still remain inside with full countersteering. It's fascinating the way rear end regain the tracking.

4. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

In my experience Gyro makes it more difficult to countersteer. I don't use full damping, because it is somehow uncomfortable then, I feel like my rig (table lol) is not rigid enough, and also feels like raping the hardware then. But without it steering feels rather flat. It could potentially add a bit of that "sawing" action.. By the way, when I messed up with my steering config, I had Gyro rather high, and more degs in wheel profile than in games config, It was crazy difficult to keep car pointed perfectly.

5. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

???

Indeed, look like driver transfered load from rear to front really smoothly, but with expense of pace, which he totally lost, but saved car nicely, it almost had no pendulum effect at all, very little.

Here is similar catch at 1:45, almost magic:

I think it is possible to do on the exit, if it would be mid turn then it would start twitching from left to right, if it wouldn't spin out, or slow down a lot.

LeDude83 likes this.
  6. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

Leaving aside the corrections on the steering wheel, which may depend on many factors (tarmac grip, tires, setup, driving style, or could even be a limitation of the AC physics, who know, should be deepened), I refer to the fact that it seems like to have a more direct steering than the real counterpart.
    Here an example of what I say, look already at the first variant, the real steering comes to almost 180 °, in AC less:

AC

Reality

In my opinion it has to do with the steering ratio, which unfortunately is not settable.

Andy-R likes this.
  7. This thread is about the corrections, not the amount of steering needed (though both are likely related). Like I said earlier, the latter is probably a result of low optimum slip angles, not the steering ratio.

Kristaps likes this.
  8. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

It's about steering imput.

Andy-R likes this.
  9. misterbeam

misterbeam Hardcore Simmer

Steering in AC doesn't feel natural to me anyway, the front end is not reactive enough in general: you are either at 90° or 0° most of the time, like a on/off switch, it lacks that "linearity" of the real life steering.

hristo1026 likes this.
  10. Andy said "just trying to pin down what it is and seems to be mostly those small inputs on the straights and the turning and then back to centre on entry most of the time"

That's about corrections not degrees of rotation.

Andy-R likes this.
  11. chksix

chksix Hardcore Simmer

If the real steering rack requires more or larger turns of the wheel, inputs will be larger also when doing corrections. In the Porsche video above I noticed that the real driver started braking at the 200 m board while in AC you could push 100 m more. Not about steering input but maybe grip levels or some other stuff going on.

12. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

All welcome here IMO, I posted my experience and thoughts and happy for others with similar or different opinions or thoughts. If it is steering input related then bring it on :)

Maybe some of it is just virtual driver steering wheel being out of sync with your actual input. Is it limited to 900 deg?

I have had the same thought as baronesbc in some of the older cars that the steering feels more direct than I would expect from a car of that age but nothing to base it on really only stuff like YT reviewers with comments about modern steering being more direct and you don't have to turn the wheel as much in modern cars. The difference looks pretty big in baronesbc's 911 video as well though.

baronesbc and mclarenf1papa like this.
  13. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

Yes, but he also talked about the amount of steering, and that it seemed too direct. To me they seem related things.

Andy-R likes this.
  14. LeiF

LeiF Alien

I personally adjust my T500 to the correct degrees rotation for each car I drive, so I know that lock to lock the rotation is correct as long as it is no more than 1080 degrees ofc.

But as the T500 GT rim I have is considerably smaller than most real life wheels that I am simulating, so I think this plays a part.

I also agree that you feel the grip better in the sim and also you are not scared of losing that grip, these factors combined I believe make the real life driver move the wheel more almost checking, feeling for the grip and also is quicker to correct due to feeling the loss of the grip in the "seat of the pants" as they say.

Andy-R likes this.
  15. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Yes, in the RL video entering T1 chicane there is almost 2x of steering comparing to your video, perhaps your line is better too ?

But thats not the most interesting thing from this comparison to me. The most interesting to me is the twitchness when entering T1, braking hard, and rear end really wants to escape, and in your AC vid it is dead planted, perhaps just perfected setup and more grip ? Then maybe maybe RL driver also overturns, and understeers through T1 chicane ?

16. baronesbc

baronesbc Simracer

The video is by Paolo Muià, you will hardly see me on a GT :D

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  17. If there is one thing I hate when driving, it's having to throw the steering wheel around all over the place to keep the car balanced. With respect to Andy's question, I would argue that real life drivers are getting FAR more feedback than AC drivers with respect to what the car is doing, and are therefore reacting more often, and more dramatically.

18. The location of the slip angle peak can also explain (or not) the discrepancies with corrections.

19. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

@Andy-R This guy goes rather deep haha, he promotes his molded steering wheels, and had gone really deep in steering stuff, check the channel. He pretty much also says that "sawing" the wheel (he calls it fishing) is mainly grip searching. Looking for perfect slip angle. While having steering wheel squeezed really strongly other senses gets reduced, so it just gets harder to tell where is the sweet spot. Though I think it there is more in this, but that most likely is the basic thing.

@baronesbc This is some interesting stuff about a device to modify steering ratio.

baronesbc, Andy-R and Kristaps like this.
  20. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

I believe that's it. And that the additional input IRL helps to do that better.

I've seen many quick AC laps where the drivers also do it. I do it, too (102 - 103 % RSR driver). It should make you quicker in AC if you do it in perfection regarding the grip changes due to track topology and driving inconsistency.
    But IRL the driver also must consider grip changes due to rubber, dust/liquids/dirt on track from other cars. They can never safely rely on consistent grip whereas in AC we can.

This would be a plausible explanation for the smoother inputs in AC. Do you agree?