1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Steering input AC & real life

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Andy-R, Mar 10, 2018.

1. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

Sometimes my inputs look like in slow motion when compared to RL lap. :D
    I guess the forces throwing your body in the seat might be another factor too, in the end I wasn't nervously checking if my harness is in place as he did.

Even in some vintage stuff (like the GT40) I'm relatively smooth with my steering, the Cobra needs more corrections tho. But still RL onboards look more dramatic.

Andy-R likes this.
  2. Serge M

Serge M Alien

Driving smooth then :)

3. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

And first time in car :)

4. There was a similar discussion couple of years back and back then I wanted to experiment with high FFB, lowish aero and aggressive driving.

Luca Zari, mantasisg 2 and hristo1026 like this.
  5. hristo1026

hristo1026 Racer

The behavior of the car and the work with the steering wheel looks very close to reality but there is a big difference which is the lap time.
    8:10 vs. 8:37

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  6. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

The video is also really old, AC has changed a lot. Also I read that wheel is set to very heavy torque. But looks cool.

hristo1026 and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  7. Yeah, old and not completely relevant but shows what kind of role the FFB and setup plays.

8. juandb78

juandb78 Racer

I made a quick video without any edition to compare wheel movement. It is the porsche cup

Leonardo Ratafia and LeDude83 like this.
  9. I think this thread is greatly overthinking this issue. Sawing at the wheel is a driver preference/style issue. Some drivers (from amateur to elite levels) are sawers, others are not. Some people like the feedback it gives them about the front tire grip. It has everything to do with slip angle curve and feeling where the tires are on it from millisecond to millisecond. This type of sawing I refer to has nothing to do with corrections. Correction may also cause higher amplitude sawing at the wheel depending on what the car is doing. Sawing to feel front grip works in AC too, but it's not as easy because the feedback is not as immediate/obvious as in a real car. And of course you don't get the G force in your seat of pants to feel when the car is biting more - you only get FFB and visible yaw.

Here's a personal example of sawing to help feel the front as part of a correction: I'm not a sawer in general, but sometimes it happens naturally. The slide could have been corrected with a single countersteer to the correct angle, however, sawing helps me feel what the front tires are doing throughout the slide in order to give the correct steering correction. I probably could have done it smoother, but I saved it nonetheless and believe me the exige rear comes around fast.

mantasisg 2 and liakjim like this.
  10. And here's a guy I know in his exige- he's a big time sawer. Go to :20 secs or so.

11. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

You say that it is all style, and then you have contradicted yourself by saying that this sometimes happens naturally. Obviously there are many reasons to all those steering actions, and a lot fits when we talk about it in general. But if you say that such steering helps you to feel the car, to respond, or you say to feel, what it is doing, then it means that car is doing many little weird things.

In your example it looks like you have engine braking on too high revs, in a curve, and on this sharp sudden crest, exige is short, easy to rotate. The car starts spinning, it is also unloaded, you don't know at what moment rear will grip up. Because you don't have such precision, maybe because of those many things car does in this situation. Also seem that you are using normal steering slow steering ratio, so you have to steer a lot.

You correct once - no it is still spinning, second time - still no, third time tried to stay close to where it was in second attempt, fourth time adding from third attempt massive steer into a slide and car grips just before the apex, then you straighten a wheel car wobbles so little into the left as a reaction, gets stable and you turn it to the right finally. Everything happened in slightly more than a second.

I think thats down to lots of little stuff going on, which possibly has more effect in lower speeds.

Looks very much like if he is using quick steering rack without powersteering.

LeDude83 likes this.
  12. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I think their are many issues being discussed in here at once.

I feel like the steering is rather direct in some of the classic cars, not sure if it is just wrong assumption on my part or oversight/lack of data for those cars. The 911 RSR 3.0 and 935 both have retro feel steering where the GT40 for example feels rather direct.

13. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I remember lots of people complaining about handling of GT40 at some time. It has changed a few times. Would be interesting to try older version if anyone has backed them up somehow.

Serge M likes this.
  14. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

Yeah it did change a bit. I'm sure the steering input needed didn't change by any noticeable amount though, it was mostly under braking it was different (temp & fade) which made it feel more understeery to me at first. I wish I could remember the name of the magical value aphidgod was tweaking with the T70, it wasn't caster, the lower the value the less direct the steering was.

15. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I actually have some flashbacks of GT40 being very twitchy at Barcelona Renault curve
    [​IMG]

For some time in AC I was driving almost completely just XJ13 and GT40, and mostly at this track Moto layout. I remember fighting GT40 A LOT.

On the other hand, I have improved massively. Since then I learned about optimal pressures, better understanding for alignment, better understanding for dampers, improved my techniques of controlling the car, improved my hardware from playing at 35-40 FPS to playing at caped 70 and with better resolution monitor... But I think GT40 could have been more twitchy anyways, people complained a lot. GT40 was a bit like C9 of sixties, it felt like it was always on the limit.

Jochen Mass saying C9 was close to the limit all the time at 5:25:

@Andy-R Aphidgod certainly used that magic value for D-Type, I think :D

matz_AUT likes this.
  16. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

I don't believe that my logitech can give proper feedback for stuff like this even if the sim is perfect.
    Is sawing more pronounced with DD wheels?

17. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

It's a shame he left us for Trump!

18. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I think it is more input than output in that video you quoted. But maybe both.

What do you mean by Trump ?

I was thinking about this some time ago, I had opposite thoughts that in AC it is on the contrary - too immediate/obvious than IRL, with some cars. I myself hardly have real practice of punishing tires IRL, but to me it sometimes feels like if the tire has to flex a bit IRL before it would turn pivot at the contact patch, or something like that IDK.

just found this bmw testing videos I wonder why wheels twitch at 0:44

19. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

He said a world with the AC community and Trump was too much to take. He left us for Trump.

20. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

I think both.
    To work so much with the wheel ffb rresponse should be quick, strong and precise.