1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

3D Helmet with refraction effects.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hazy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I like your ideas and the intent behind them. It definitely sparks discussion and progress!
    For this one I do have experience using a visor in the rain. In my opinion the droplets are way too large. When the rain hits the surface of the visor the individual droplets break in even more droplets which are smaller in size. If you were to blow dry your car (like in a carwash) that is pretty much what it looks like in a visor.

~Bailey

alex72 and Hazy like this.
  2. Bailey

Bailey Alien

You point was still understandable :]
    ~Bailey

Hazy and Robilon like this.
  3. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Obviously it's not very accurate but you get the idea. This would be more appropriate but I didn't know how to do it.
    Heavy rain and the windscreen looks like this

[​IMG]

4. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Get the blow dryer!
    ~Bailey

5. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

I know but it's not like you're going 200 mph the whole time, exiting a corner would look like that.

6. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I ride a motorcycle (Triumph America to be exact :D) and with a few hours in the rain I have some visual experience. Luckily it has never looked like that.
    ~Bailey

7. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Did you drive in pouring rain ? :)

Here's a nice example - I know, I know, carts, much lower speeds but that probably is a GoPro meaning little lens, I can only imagine what it would look like on a way bigger surface like the visor

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Yep. The worst thing about riding in the rain is the spray from other vehicles.
    ~Bailey

alex72 likes this.
  9. Bailey

Bailey Alien

As for the go pro video that is nice footage. You have to remember that the lens is about larger than the size of a quarter. One drop of rain covers much more total surface area when compared to the visor of a helmet.
    ~Bailey

alex72, Hazy and Robilon like this.
  10. Robilon

Robilon Racer

This all is a good idea only if the rain droplets are not something that totally blinds the visibility. The image you showed has a car standing and lense focused on the windscreen, this making it all look a lot worse than it really is.. I've never experienced a windscreen that I can not see through of enough if it's only water.. and I've had work cars with wipers not working with pouring rain :D

Hazy likes this.
  11. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I am seriously contemplating wearing my helmet in the sower to get some "live data"....
    ~Bailey

Hazy and Robilon like this.
  12. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

But your retina is even smaller ;). It's all about distances, the lens is closer the the shield then your eyes are to the visor but that wasn't my point, look how many got onto that little surface so how much more would get on the visor ?

I'm thinking of borrowing a helmet and doing some pictures with a cam in it, for the rain part I'm going to hold it out the window :p

13. Bailey

Bailey Alien

You should! Funny thing is that rain resistant spray for my visors arrived in the mail today. Looks like its gonna rain this week too!
    ~Bailey

14. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

its not only that the gopro is smaller but the camera lense (or cover in this case) is flat and wont allow rain drops to run off that easy.. a helmet is not flat but curved, more so than a windscreen and not only that but it will have a rainX (water repellent) type treatment on it which means the rain just flows off (imagine a very highly waxed car, the water beads up and rolls straight off, couple that with wind and the rain would fly off.

perfect example

Robilon likes this.
  15. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Perfect it maybe but not for helmet view, place the cam 2 inches from the windscreen and you would get a totally different picture.
    But I agree with you guys, it wouldn't be that much visible like on my picture but the rain doesn't disappear or vaporize on contact with the glass, stays or washes of but still creates many diffraction.

All together you would see something, or are you guys telling me that I wouldn't be able to say whether it's raining or not :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  16. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

well a windscreen is somewhat different due to its size and shape, its basically a slightly curved sheet of flat glass at a 45-60deg angle where a helmet is literally like a banana so you would expect the rain to take longer to dissapear on the windscreen vs the helmet.

if i get chance i will cover my helmet in rainx and spray some water at it and will try record from inside the helmet.. thats the only way to be sure :)

Hazy likes this.
  17. Bailey

Bailey Alien

You have officially taken that task from me. Good luck!
    ~Bailey

18. Robilon

Robilon Racer

Only on windshield.. but on helmet it's different (especially with water repellent visors). It will keep the droplet intact and it will just move very quickly out of the visor, it won't let the water extend. The droplet won't leave any trace when it moves, or if it does it will be other very small droplets which will also move very fast out of the visor.. Like ChrisR already said, waxed car is perfect example.. you can see the water get very bubble like on waxed surface.

19. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

here is my car after i finished waxing it.. and yes.. it really did piss down immediately after id finished.

you can see the beading quite clearly dropping off the body quite quick, now imagine a greater angle and wind blowing at you from 50mph + and you can imagine its pretty clear..

Robilon likes this.
  20. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

That really doesn't prove anything, take a few steps back and we won't see any rain :)
    It's all good but the wipers are there for a reason and the repellent was also invented because the rain does influence your view.
    More or less but you don't expect to have a view like on a sunny day when it's raining right ?