1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

3D Helmet with refraction effects.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hazy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

i think your missing the point..

you can see on the vid (regardless how far away the camera is) how easily the beads of rain just roll off the body on a lesser angle and without wind blowing it.. so if you add in a higher angle (the bend of the visor) and the wind at 50+mph and you can imagine how the rain will react..

the vid is not about how it looks, but how the rain reacts to the surface.

plus the closer you are to a transparent object the less you will notice it..

2. OffAgain

OffAgain Simracer

A few points regarding helmets (from motorbikes)...

First off, once you're used to wearing the things you don't really notice them when it's dry. The visual intrusion in the first screenshot feels unrealistic to me because, due to where your eyes are focusing, you never consciously see the helmet. I have even managed to "lose" my lid at a petrol station by assuming I'd taken it off and left it with the bike when it was, in fact, still on my head.

Next... rain. It clears much, much faster from a helmet visor than a windscreen thanks to the shape of the visor - the airflow blows it off the sides. Yes, when the weather gets really Biblical things can become problematic, but normally wet conditions don't cause anything like that level of water build-up. Chuck some decent water repellent on the surface and the problem decreases further. The kart race example isn't relevant because the front of a GoPro is flat so doesn't clear rapidly due to airflow (mine doesn't anyway).

The other issue regarding rain is, due to where your eyes and attention are focused, you almost cease to notice rain drops after a while. It's a bit like watching racing through a chain link fence - when there's no action on track, you find the fence intrusive, but as soon as there's something going on on the other side, you cease to notice the fence. Because everything on a monitor is at the same focal distance, rain drops are much harder for the visual system to screen out than they are in real life. IMHO, that makes intrusive rain effects very unrealistic unless what's being simulated is full-on red flag conditions.

Having said all that, in the unlikely event of Kunos offering the prospect of racing on damp, recently gritted roads when it's not currently raining, we'll need some serious buildup modeled. Dried-on salt is a complete nightmare, especially at night.

kakusso, alex72, Ryno917 and 2 others like this.
  3. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

there you go :)

direct from the horses mouth.

4. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Well I'm sorry but going this way we can loose the helmet, car and track surroundings because we focus only on the tarmac, weather conditions are also irrelevant because we can't see rain nor sun, do we even need the audio then ?

5. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

you sound just like lazybug.. going to far extremes.. :rolleyes:

just take it on the chin.. you had an idea, people commented on it, its wasn't overly realistic and in fact the more realistic and authentic option is to leave it out completely don't just get you knickers in a twist whilst throwing all your toys out of the cot. at least people but in effort to reply.

end of the day in real life you dont wear a helmet to have visual impairments.. you wear one for safety so naturally your going to make it as less of an impact as you possibly can.

Rui Santos and Robilon like this.
  6. Robilon

Robilon Racer

The only thing is said here that if it's implemented it has to be done right, not just for some fancy eye candy.
    Windscreens might be ok with not so realistic droplets if wipers are there, but not helmets

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  7. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Totally agreed, I said many times that it's not even close to being realistic. But saying that something shouldn't be in the game because you get used to it in RL is just wrong.

I can't find my cable for the cam, I wanted to use a fishbowl in the tub and film while spraying water on it :D

8. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

I am riding a Quad sometimes. Was fun to drive in rain with 120 km/h and with my helmet i saw everything clear.
    Sure there were some rain drops, but not like on your pictures.

Hazy likes this.
  9. Stereo

Stereo Alien

What it mostly seems to be to me is the very fine mist (eg. from cars throwing it up) sticks but doesn't diffract or anything, just make the screen a bit less transparent. And then the actual raindrops are rolling across clearing paths behind them, but for the most part far enough apart not to be a problem.

If rain's added it'd be a neat feature to have it animated on the windscreen, but it seems like it'd be a lot of work for something to look a bit nicer without really affecting racing. The falling rain, puddles, and mist behind vehicles are the more noticeable aspects.

Hazy likes this.
  10. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Better ?

[​IMG]

Rui Santos likes this.
  11. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Damn Chris, turns out you were right. Not sure what got me thinking that they comment because they have nothing better to do (maybe the years of modding, no matter what I said people still did comment and appreciate my work) but after my inside bit.. got out, no one is replaying.

I started that sentence with a sorry but maybe a sincere Sorry will make up for that dumb post I made.

12. ChrisR

ChrisR Alien

huh :confused:

it looks better...

Rui Santos and Hazy like this.
  13. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Never mind :p

But still not what you would like to have during rain ?

14. BMASTER

BMASTER Hardcore Simmer

How do you do this?

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

15. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek Alien

it's obviously photoshop (or some other) mockup, not possible in game

16. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Yup, most is photoshop, droplets are 3ds max.

17. Bailey

Bailey Alien

I just had the great and wonderful opportunity to ride my motorcycle in the rain yesterday. Good and bad I guess. Anyways, I noticed some things that may be helpful for the future.

I ride with a CL-16 motorcycle helmet. Yesterday I had my clear anti-fog visor that was not water treated. The first thing I noticed was that it was physically impossible put a water droplet on the visor into focus while in the rain. The only way I could do that was by crossing my eyes as hard as I could.

I noticed that with one eye open I could barely see what was going on (30 mph). But with both eyes I had a clear image likely due to having 2 visual inputs and my brain choosing the best part of each one. With the visor less than two inches from the eyes I am actually looking through totally unique parts do the visor which means totally different raindrops and gaps are visible with each eye. Something a gopro cannot reproduce. I never thought about that.

At 35 mph water was beading on the visor, but staying there. Due to the effect I said above I could still see. At 40 mph water was beading off of the visor due to the wind in my face. At 55 mph by visual cue only I could not tell that it was raining. I could hear it and feel it on my head, but the water was being deflected so fast my eyes could not register its presence. I could imagine that these effects would change with a treated visor. I might do that before the next time I go out.

I have noticed that some formula cars have windshields and some do not (that little strip of plastic right behind the wheel). This cuts down on the wind in the drivers face. Something I had not thought about until yesterday is that when it is raining you want as much wind in you face as possible! The wind carries the water away. Otherwise you will get static beading similar to what is experienced below 35 mph for me.

~Bailey

Buggi likes this.
  18. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

19. Hazy

Hazy Gamer

Oops can't edit.

So speed changes everything, I knew that but it's hard to replicate it with just one shot.
    Now everything together and you guys gotta admit, this does look pretty realistic right ?

[​IMG]

liakjim, Rui Santos and alex72 like this.
  20. Buggi

Buggi Racer

:) wow fantastic;)

Hazy likes this.