1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Add "real road" official track surface grip setting in ac

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by PAKFA, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

It's just a number. I bet if the current 100% was the same as 95% but called 100% people would call that too much grip.

IMHO it's complaining for the sake of complaining. Most people who complain haven't been near a real race track with slick tires.

2. unknwn

unknwn Alien

@PAKFA
    You are clearly missing the point. It is just the wording however people will make a big deal of it. You basically personally attacked @djkostas for trying to tell you that. In this case clearly you are the ignorant one.
    It's not about what he thinks. It's in the wording what Kunos can put officially in their game. Kunos cannot put "realistic" and similar names unless they are sure that is realistic othwerwise people will attack Kunos. Also there is no need to put one more 95% grip preset as there already is one ("slow"). Go talk to RSR guys to implement this "95% standart", in fact there is no need for Kunos to do anything to have this standart on RSR.

Sam Markovic likes this.
  3. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

Even if 95% generates closer lap times to the real lap times? It would still be just and number and this just an useless complain topic to you?

Optimum setting right now having 100% grip generates 20-30 seconds or more faster lap times than in reality, but it's a crime for me to dare to change that standard. How can I have the nerve to want to improve something in this game... I should be ridiculed and then stoned to death, right?:rolleyes:
    Oh right it's the wording, like AC Your Racing Simulator and people are already complaining the is not a true racing simulator, but a hot-lapping simulator. I guess they already did that.
    I already said it can be named however Kunos sees fit, the name is not important, so stop trying to find some imaginary game breaking flaws to not have this in game. You won't find and it's pathetic what you and the other guy are trying to do.

As for the Slow settings I'm sorry, but even though it improves slower, it sill improved with multiple laps and or multiple cars.

This is what slow is:

[SLOW]
    SESSION_START=96
    SESSION_TRANSFER=80
    RANDOMNESS=1
    LAP_GAIN=60
    DESCRIPTION=A slow track that doesn't improve much.

As you can see, unless it is a fixed track grip setting, people will start to abuse the lap gain in any way possible. There are dozens of ways to do that, so the playing field will not be level.

For the sake of that the 95% should be fixed and not for any other reason.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  4. Sam Markovic

Sam Markovic Rookie

I have to say that using Nords isn't a great example as it magnifies all of the time differences - it's such a long track that everything gets blown out of proportion, whereas the gap may be diminutive on other tracks, which are more frequently used.
    Equally, it's not strictly the game you want to improve - it's RSR ;)
    What you could do is start a forum thread where you ask people to post up their times with a specified track surface, to give you some indicator of your position? That way, everyone who would use the surface gets to do so competitively, and you can make comparisons whilst waiting for RSR to add that feature.
    You could even create a spreadsheet on Google Docs and use the sort functions there to get a really nice idea of the standings - that way, you could sort the times based on anything you like, apply penalties for assists or input functions, anything!
    Or am I missing the point? ;)

5. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

No you're not completely missing the point, but by doing that it won't be an automated thing like it is now on RSR and it will be available for much less people than by having this officially in game and then supported by RSR. It would be insignificant as you described to be.

6. Sam Markovic

Sam Markovic Rookie

I'm afraid I have to disagree :/
    The people who put enough effort in to download RSR will doubtless put in the effort to have a quick look on the forums.
    And I was talking about the gap being insignificant. Not the idea.
    It's the closest you're going to get, until RSR updates. If it updates.

7. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

I'll wait 1sr for RSR's response, as you know it can take some time, so I'll see what happens next after that.

8. RedLoto

RedLoto Racer

a "real road" official track surface grip setting would encourage server admin to drop the 100% madness(because simulation) so i agreed to the OP, but is important that the name of the new setting suggest that this is the real track condition you would get in real life, maybe this setting can be made for each track to take account weather and tarmac type and t°.

9. Sam Markovic

Sam Markovic Rookie

Server admins aren't under any obligation to run a particular surface setting.
    I run about 8 dedicated servers and the track grip and evolution isn't restricted to the in-game presets, you can choose any values you want, so I don't think it would encourage many servers to stop running 100% grip.

10. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Having default preset with fixed grip won't protect from abusing the grip levels, because you can edit gain manually.
    Thats why i wrote this:
    If RSR is/will be able to read the actual grip of the session (not the values in the presets of the launcher) then default presets won't matter as long as you can create 95% preset yourself(or whatever RSR chooses). Is it clear now?

If that's possible you would be able to run with 93% grip and with GAIN enabled, run some laps to get 95% and only at this point your laptimes would be posted to "realistic" leaderboard, as soon as your grip reaches 95.25% (or similar) your laptimes would be ignored.
    Or even simplier just keep it at fixed 95.00% value.

You keep thinking everyone is making personal attacks to insult you while in fact some people are just thinking critically and are attentive to details and I don't want to be harsh, but you aren't good with constructive writing.
    Finding/fixing or avoiding reasons why potential consumer wouldn't buy the game or attack the developers for not providing what was promised is what matters. Wording is very important when it's official and printed/written/recorded.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  11. Obizzz

Obizzz Racer

Yes. So many factors at play here. You can probably take out 15 of those seconds due to other reasons. For one thing it's very rare to get a clean lap at the ring even during qualifying. Racedrivers pretty much never go flat out like a hotlapper on the ring. The races there are endurance races, noone wants to risk the car to break lap records.

Comparing simracing laptimes to real laptimes is usually a pointless exercise even at normal length tracks. Heck even comparing laptimes at the same track in real life between different days is pretty pointless. Too many variables at play.

Fixed 95% is just as unrealistic as 100% The most realistic way would of course be to have it random with grip buildup but if you want to compare laptimes I can see why they went for static as the default.

12. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I would love a setting like this. Mostly because I dont like to drive at optimal anymore and 26 degrees, it just feels bad. But since so many people seems to like the settings how it is on RSR now I dont think they want a change. RSR should put up a poll or something to see what most of their users actually want. I would wish for some kind of "real road" but im not so sure other peoples would, so i think this is something the entire hotlapping community should decide about.

13. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

if the OP wants this specifically for RSR wouldnt it be better to try and convince RSR instead of Kunos?

assuming it is possible... they could set it so that to achieve a pro rank lap time you have to use X grip setting (green/old/whichever) a lot of people seem to use the settings required for a pro lap.

i still think this would mean that people just lap to build up track grip before trying for a hot lap. i dont really know how the offline grip levels work, do they all build grip apart from optimal? or only certain ones like 'green'?

im not sure if the OP was thinking with a view more towards the GT cars but for road cars especially it still wouldnt achieve the goal of comparable laps to real life. 90% of the road cars in AC have options for super grippy aftermarket tyres which people will naturally use for RSR to try and get higher up the leaderboard.

i would like to see the guys over at RSR colour code the list based on tyre choice, it should be like class racing results:
    1.jim bob
    2. john smith
    1. driver1

3. michael M
    ^ driver 1 using different tyre option

this atleast would make coming 1st in the (e.g) street 90's tyre feel like an achievement, as you would be first in class instead of just (e.g) 26th overall.
    ... maybe they could do a similar thing for track grip?

TBH i dont really mind that i have to use optimum for RSR, it kind of makes a change. when i host online i tend to tailor the grip depending on the car and track. at short circuits i up the laps needed for grip increase and in cars like f1 i think to myself... they have warm up events before f1 races so i will up the grip level a bit more :p

out of interest, has anyone tried to find the most similar grip % VS real life in a specific car?
    (obviously this IRL would change drastically track to track and day to day)

i tend to use 87 or 88% normally online and i will up it to 90% for f1 cars. i have gain around 20<22 laps normally but at short circuits like tsukuba, brands indy or valle club i will increase it by 5 or 10 laps (more so for valle club as its likely to attract more drivers than the others.)

i figured if 100% is the most amount of grip possible on a circuit then around 87% starting grip might be somewhere close to real life but it is a total guess :/

(my pipe dream would be to set track grip parameters in the server app and have the server randomly pick a grip level and weather condition (we seriously need these online) with each server restart or hopefully with each track change if we eventually get the option to que circuits outside of booking mode)

i defintely see the appeal of using RSR as a lap time resource, before the wipe, i regularly used it to find cars that could compete on a particular circuit for hosting on my server.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  14. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

It seems RSR is not interested in making another leaderboard class based on a track grip like this, they want to keep everything open for everybody, every setting and every combination, but that just means it will be a big long leaderboard list where most of the people will use the Optimum setting anyway, because it's the only one with fixed settings. Any other combinations will totally random and varied, so no level playing field there.

The purpose for this suggestion was to have a legitimate way to make a leaderboard under RSR rules with a closer track grip to the real tracks and being an official one in game, everyone interested would have used the same setting. Easy to select in game, controlled and fixed by the preset settings, legitimate by RSR. Not gonna happen.

So yeah, so much for wanting, I lost interest in this, I don't care anymore.

15. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

RSR could atleast set a class for each of the track grip settings used in SP and each of the tyre options. it could also still be an all inclusive list with an overall position and a class position displayed next to it and filters at the top... although, that could already get quite confusing with all of the tyre/grip combinations that could be used :p

like you say, its up to the RSR guys what they do.

i would very much like to see some of the lesser options in AC incorporated a bit more though, mainly limiting tyres for MP for myself but likewise for the SP guys there should be some career or special events that either force you to use the lesser options or suggest it in the blurb for a good battle or for a challenge to achieve the lap time etc.

i have spent many sleepless nights wondering why AC gave us some of these options that seem to have very little use outside of practice mode :rolleyes:

16. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

Didn't read whole thread, but what if rsr provided a new surface setting with 95% grip and 0 gain/randomness, and they verify that surface is being used (and the integrity of it) so then we could filter by those using this setting? Probably wouldn't be too popular, but for me hotlapping on optimum is not so enjoyable, would be nice to be able to be competitive on a more typical track grip

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

17. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

they could add it to the .rar for downloading the app i suppose :p

like i said it isnt really a concern of mine though tbh.

sorry for the off topic but do you think a realistic grip % could be as high as that (95%?) i had assumed that if 100% is the most grippy a track could possibly be that it would be less than that (complete assumption on my part) obviously it depends on the real life example, if there was a race or many races recently, rain, if it has not been used for a long time etc etc etc.

have any of you guys done testing to see which gives closest lap times VS real life? (i assume PAKFA has from his sig)

i know from the other day that in the alfa GTA at vallelunga long circuit i lost about 2 seconds on average per lap from using optimal grip in hot lap mode to racing in a random MP server with 94<95% grip

...maybe i have been setting it a bit low with my default of 88%

18. PAKFA

PAKFA Alien

95% is what I call the sweetspot for a sunny summer day with moderate traffic on the track. Of course even 93-94% or 96% are close to what you can find on real tracks depending on the track, location, quality of asphalt, weather, number of cars on it, etc.

Until we have fully dynamic weather and night/day system, linked to the track and to the car physics it will be pretty hard to come very close to real life track conditions with what options and settings we have now.

Quffy likes this.