1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Balloons

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Blamer, Apr 12, 2016.

1. NightEye

NightEye Alien

You can create something that generates negative drag to gain speed (maybe a brake controlled air brake?), then once you've gained atleast a bit of speed, a throttle controlled wing to gain altitude?
    @the_meco What was it again that you did? (And is there a way to obtain your airplane? :D )

For those who haven't seen it:

2. Yeah this might be the case, although you don't get to go very high before you're reset.

Few pics while the mega short clip uploads (those are mid-flight, just before it sends you back to the pits):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never said it would be good :p

@NightEye thats a good shout with the negative drag instead of actually driving, I'll do that next.

3. And here's a quick example of the flight - very unstable, difficult to control and not really like a Balloon at all. :roflmao:Would be proper fun though if you didn't get sent back to the pits after about 5 seconds of flight...

4. Turk

Turk Alien

This picture is hilarious. He looks so deep in thought.

5. I wonder what he's thinking here?

[​IMG]

6. V8_KB

V8_KB Alien

LOL! Release it... now. ;)
    This. In MP. On Nordschleife. :D

7. aphidgod

aphidgod Alien

"Oh ****!"

8. Honestly it would be so much fun if it didn't reset so quick, it seems based on time and i think you get probably less than 5 seconds flight! If i could stop that I definitely would release it.

I tried disabling penalties, but made no difference. If anyone has any ideas let me know!

V8_KB likes this.
  9. Couple of the onboard cams:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. NightEye

NightEye Alien

I know there is an option to disable autorecovery. I believe it doesn't work though.. o_O

And that balloon looks great, haha! Awesome onboards.

11. the_meco

the_meco Alien

There is a trick to get around the auto reset if you really want to do long flight. I've been able to fly around for as long as I can before I crash :D Here's a short clip from one of my flights -

It works quite nice in MP also and makes for some relaxing time away from racing -

The trick is you have to fall off the track. So it's pretty much impossible to do on official tracks as they are well sealed. But a lot of mod tracks have openings where you can fall off. The best way to do it seems to be to drop off around 60 - 70 mph, so that you just dip under the horizon line. When you do this the auto reset stops working, then you can fly back above the track free as a bird :) If people want I can make a video showing how this works? You could also build a custom track to achieve this with more ease. Basically make something like an aircraft carrier where you have a small run up before dropping off.

12. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

:D

He's thinking "What decisions did I make in life that brought me to this point?". :p

NightEye likes this.
  13. mister dog

mister dog Alien

I don't mind the occasional balloon, but i agree with the sentiments of the OP that there's just an overload. You see 3 or 4 different ones each time you head to the track. Balloon meetings aren't happening at each track day you know :D

LChaves likes this.
  14. LChaves

LChaves Hardcore Simmer

I would also like to turn off balloons, nothing against those who like them, but i find them weird.

15. NightEye

NightEye Alien

16. Well, as promised, it looks like I'll be releasing the Balloon into the wild when 1.9 drops! :p

Keep your expectations low, its not going to look wonderful, its terrible to 'drive' - but its fun and should provide a few brief smiles :D

I have no idea when 1.9 will be released (which will include a fix for the 'AUTOFLIP_RECOVERY=' bug), but I'll release it in whatever state its in by that point, so hopefully that means enough time to model some basic bits and bobs to make it more balloon like :cool:

[​IMG]

NightEye, V8_KB, LeiF and 5 others like this.
  17. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

You MUST make a caravan basket! :D

Jeremy-Clarkson-in-a-cara-001.jpg

NightEye, sacredaardvark, Vel and 2 others like this.
  18. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

If it's a steerable balloon it will have no simulation value whatsoever. :p

I don't know how to say this more clearly... Balloons. Are. Not. Steerable. FFS. :(

If it's steerable, it's a dirigible (i.e. airship). Like I've pointed out in the past ;)

Would you call a pedal car a motor vehicle? :confused:
    This is the forum for a sim, we should be taking our jokes seriously damnit! :D

... okay, I'm done. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Seria17hri11er and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  19. Lol... no its definitely not steerable :cool: Though its not all that high in sim value anyway, as you need to 'drive' it forward a bit to get any lift... so yeah :p

Ace Pumpkin and sacredaardvark like this.
  20. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

[​IMG]

edit: Though since you need to drive it forwards to get lift, it means it's moving under it's own power, so it's still an airship... but I'll let that slide since it's due to technical limitations ;) :p

Seria17hri11er likes this.