1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Go Faster - 2 Gearbox & engine at game&track YT channel

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Aristotelis, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Hi!
    2nd Go Faster video is live right now.
    This time I talk about how to "read" the tech specs of a car and understand the engine characteristics and then use this to your advantage together with some gearbox fine tuning.

I apologize in advance as I was a bit tired and the laps are not very clean with plenty of errors. Still I think it is important to show you "live" what I do, in one "ciak" as they say. I think it is more honest and the result is more down to earth. Besides you can have fun improving my laptimes (by a lot).

Hope you'll like it, and looking forward to discuss with you with the same great enthusiasm as in the first video thread.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality 2 _ seconds faster Oct 26, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Misano | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Jun 14, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Kyalami | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Paul Ricard | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Nov 4, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Hungaroring | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Sep 23, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Barcelona | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jul 3, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Silverstone | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 21, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Brands Hatch | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 11, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Monza | Track Guide | Tips to be faster May 20, 2021
    ACC Physics Safe setup might be faster than aggressive setup for you Apr 19, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Imola | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Apr 9, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - Nurburgring - Track Guide - Tips to be faster Mar 26, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - SPA - Track Guide - Tips to be faster Mar 18, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC - Setup Guide - How to be faster - Essential Knowledge Mar 7, 2021

3. TDS

TDS Alien

Nice Aris :) tyvm

F430_458_F12 likes this.
  4. myimac

myimac Alien

Very useful video :)

5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Awesome - I can't wait to put this into practice; thank you Aris!

I enjoyed the first video and found your tips very helpful for getting back to basics and re-focusing on the fundamentals.:)

6. Sleeper Service

Sleeper Service Hardcore Simmer

Again, excellent info on how the setting of the car works with the circuit you are driving and how to work out where you need to be. Beautifully illustrated. Gotta love the DTM Merc, it's a great car to drive :)

7. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Nice, Aris :)

Shame that your laps didn´t actually showed what you where trying to do, gaining time by playing with gearratios only.
    Everything you gained, you did already at T3 on that 1.11:7xx lap @19m40sec.

Rest of the lap you gained zero. But! Of cause, we understood the purpose :p

Btw, why no clutch in this video?

Thumbs up for doing these vids!

Cheers

8. Aristotelis

No clutch because I wanted to illustrate the flatshift horror. :D

chksix, TDS, Tim Meuris and 4 others like this.
  9. Wakey

Wakey Gamer

Thank you :)

10. If that helps, doing tests for real life purposes I gained 1.25s on a 2:30 lap in a Spec Miata by putting a 4.5 final drive instead of a 4.1 like my car has (so even more with the 4.77 I would put IRL). Nevermind adjusting each gear individually (I cant do that obviously).

EDIT: Keep in mind tho that this is with a very under-powered car that needs some revs to get going. Would be less noticeable with something that has power everywhere.

11. Znam Neznam

Znam Neznam Hardcore Simmer

Awesome series.

Keep it up!

Also anyone notice beside Air temperature it said wind speed km/h !!! :eek:

jonnyboy_99 likes this.
  12. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

Znam Neznam likes this.
  13. bgil66

bgil66 Alien

Nice! Look out Huttu I'm coming for ya

kofotsjanne likes this.
  14. Mathieu Labbé

Mathieu Labbé Hardcore Simmer

Amazing video once more. I didnt even use the power graph before, learn something everyday they say!

15. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

yep, one more of these videos and we will be on his tail

bgil66 likes this.
  16. rge75

rge75 Simracer

Again very helpful and entertaining. Those 25 minutes passed like nothing. I had no idea that the correct shifting time sometimes is before the red line. Looks like I'll have to check out the engine specs from now on. You really force a guy like me, who doesn't like to deal with the setup, to set up the car ;-) First the tyre pressure and now the gearbox....

What I noticed by practicing some other combos is that it's sometimes difficult to find out the correct racing line though (yes, I'm aware of ctrl-i, but it feels distracting).

17. Aristotelis

Thank you everybody, the response you're giving on those videos is really amazing, feels me with joy, seriously!

Since we can't speak about basics for ever, in order to continue producing videos we'll have to start taking a "random" or maybe even better "proposed by community" car/track combination and run on it until we get it right, obviously showcasing the lines and everything about it.
    Should be fun. But for now we still have plenty to cover.

Seria17hri11er, OliW, TDS and 9 others like this.
  18. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I feel like I have to flat shift in AC, assuming other people are as well. You can see in the delta the time lost is quite large in a lot of cars. It would be cool if it damaged some components so it is not possible to flat shift during a race atleast, or make it miss the gear :D We raced the 250F in MP recently and I spent most of the evening double clutching, when I stopped doing this a bit in the last race I was over 1 second a lap faster (could just be that I need to practice double clutch a lot more!)

On that note and while we are talking gearboxes, I would love to be able to map dog leg pattern and 2 seperate seq shifters with 2 more auto use checkboxes for auto use dogleg and auto use seq stick where appropriate.

Edit: It does pain me to do it as well but you can see in MP when other people flat shift and you lift, every shift they get a little jump on you.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    baboon and Ace Pumpkin like this.
  19. I think a nice car is the Xbow or the bmw m3 Gr A (not the dtm) and Imola is a nice combo with any car.

20. Ace Pumpkin

Ace Pumpkin Alien

Try flat shifting in the 2/11 for example, you will ruin the gearbox within 5-6 shifts. Not to speak of clutchless downshifts. So it works, I might say

21. Schnipp

Schnipp Alien

@Aristotelis
    Since we are at the topic of powerband:
    The Miura graph doesn't really work well with the actual power delivery of the car. The graph implies that you can rev the engine to the limiter, but even in neutral you see that the engine doesn't want to rev above 7500 rpm.

Stock Kunos graph:
    2017-04-11 20_04_39-Untitled.png (1215×888).jpg

recalculated graph by Content Manager reading the actual power data:
    2017-04-11 20_07_36-Content Manager.jpg

Apart from the one for the Miura I haven't seen much difference in other cars.

Of course I understand you shouldn't flat shift a car, but since there is no damage* I'm doing it anyway in AC using manual clutch and H-Shifter.
    It gained me 0.3s in the Miata NA on Monza 66 Junior, which is a lap time of under 1:10 s.

*cars that get engine damage by over-revving excluded, like 250F

I flat shifted the 2-Eleven today, no issues here. (yes, damage was on)

And about finding the optimal shifting point.
    Sidekick has this function build in since several month now, no need to figure it out yourself, it adapts it's shifting indicator automaticly if you activate the option in the menu.

liakjim, Topuz and baboon like this.