1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How fast can you change gears?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bob the Noob, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Bob the Noob

Bob the Noob Rookie

So I normally drive automatic transmission, but do up/down shift here and there with the paddles.. On some cars the shift time is really slow but I'm wondering if I picked up a shifter would it be faster?

Can you shift as faster or is it limited on some cars?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Audio Bugs & Issues 812 Superfast strange sound when gear change Sep 8, 2018
    ACC Physics The suspension acts weirdly over the Bathurst fast bump Feb 18, 2024
    ACC Physics Anyone else finding the Alpine being much faster than any other GT4 cars since 1.9? May 30, 2023
    ACC Virtual Reality 2 _ seconds faster Oct 26, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Misano | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Jun 14, 2022
    ACC Gameplay Spa - too fast after exit of last chicane, next lap is invalidated Apr 4, 2022
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Kyalami | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Feb 23, 2022
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars M4 GT3 - Last and Fastest lap on board Nov 25, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Paul Ricard | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Nov 4, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Hungaroring | Track Guide + Setup | Tips to be faster Sep 23, 2021
    ACC General Discussions How to get fast - my journey Aug 14, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Barcelona | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jul 3, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Silverstone | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 21, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Brands Hatch | Track Guide | Tips to be faster Jun 11, 2021
    ACC Screenshots & Videos ACC | Monza | Track Guide | Tips to be faster May 20, 2021

3. Bailey

Bailey Alien

It depends who made the car. For the KUNOS cars it is typically faster to shift gears on your own.
    ~Bailey

4. Bob the Noob

Bob the Noob Rookie

One that comes to mind is the Cobra... Painfully slow shifts.

Niki Đaković likes this.
  5. Cars that use a manual gearbox in-game will always shift faster if you use one yourself.

Mogster and Strummer like this.
  6. Vampire

Vampire Alien

As Bailey mentioned - the person that creates the gearbox physics for the car can specify in milliseconds the exact timing of the automatic gearshift - with upshift, downshift and the clutch behaviour for each each being handled seperately. Thus you will always be limited to shifting this fast when using auto shifts etc. Taking the Miura as an example, I set the auto shift times to generally what I considered a 'normal' shift time when driving this type of car. So you are stuck with that shift time regardless.

However, if you shift manually then you are only limited by how fast you can clutch it and move the lever - so the option is there to shift a lot faster if you wanted to in a 'spirited driving' situation, than the automatic mode. You can definitely shift faster manually in the Miura than if you were using automatic, so long as you look after your gearbox ;).

7. I try to avoid doing lightning fast manual gear shifts. I end up not depressing the clutch pedal properly, and then.....well, we all know what happens after that.

1karl1 and Mogster like this.
  8. Mogster

Mogster Alien

In "speed secrets" Ross Bentley suggests that rushed rapid shifting with a manual is more trouble than it's worth. Trying to shift quickly leads to errors that usually waste way more time than you can gain.

Christopher Low and Flinty72 like this.
  9. Bob the Noob

Bob the Noob Rookie

Thanks everyone... There's a computer parts store by me that shows they have the Thrustmaster th8a in Stock. I'll probably pick one up today and give it a whirl.

I could always turn off damage for practice so I don't blow the trans. Haven't driven a manual for 26 years. ;)

10. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I've had flappy paddles for the last 8 years or so. I've only driven a manual a couple of times during that period.

I still have no trouble driving a manual in AC and on the rare occasions I've had to in rl, it seems to be like riding a bike or learning to swim. You may get a little bit rusty but you never forget.

Niki Đaković likes this.
  11. Guido Trampe

Guido Trampe Simracer

I own a th8 rs and am realy enthousiastic about this. In the 878b however i am almost 10 seconds faster using flippers and not the stick. Also the risk of errors ( tankslapper) is almost not there wen using flippers. With a stick its almost a sure thing if downshifting in or just before a corner.

12. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

Kunos has penalized paddle shifting so much that when I lift the throttle a 100% percent off the full throttle and come back on the throttle, meanwhile shifting the gear as well the drivetrain is still not disingaged because the clutch is still engaged. So, as I'm already in the next gear, shifting as slow as possible, lifting the throttle fully and coming back on it the car is still not ready to drive. What ends up happening is that the revs fall down to where they should to drive for next gear without hitting the limiter, they go down then as the auto clutch is so slow you still aren't receiving any acceleration.

I would say lifting fully and coming back on throttle should be the slowest possible shift. Without revs leaping up from 5 to 7k rpm and back down to 5 again.

Meanwhile, with the H shifter you can shift so fast that you only lift half the throttle and come back on it. So it's really not necessary to have auto clutch that slow, because H shift can be so very fast.

13. flyingpig

flyingpig Hardcore Simmer

Dear devs. Plz punish anyone using the term "flippers" in this sim. This isn`t pinball, and there is no tilt feature (even when nobody is looking).

Tim Meuris, Mirza and Guido Trampe like this.
  14. Niki Đaković

It's already overpunished. Besides H shifter is easy enough to use. Especially when you can downshift without clutch!

15. g4b1bb097

g4b1bb097 Hardcore Simmer

With H shifter I have two main "shifting modes"
    - the SANIKGOTTAGOULTRAFAST in whom I often relase the clutch wrongly and then I damage the gearbox
    - the "NORMAL" one where I shift using my muscle memory and I'm precise with the gearshifts and clutch positioning, despite being slower than the first mode

16. Hany

Hany Alien

U cant downshift without clutch with almost all H shift cars. This method was possible but it's not anymore since the gearbox damage got implemented. Besides using paddles is much easier and lifting off the throttle makes it equally fast over a lap. If u cant be fast then its your lack of skill. Yesterday i tried the ruf at spa with H shifter vs paddles. My time with paddle was actually faster because I could balance the car with left foot braking. This discussion about h shifter being faster is stupid. U buy a shifter and see how hard it is or be quiet and dont talk crap.

One last thing, anyone who expect to be fast with H shifter and think its possible without the use of clutch is dreaming too much.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2014
  17. g4b1bb097

g4b1bb097 Hardcore Simmer

Actually the master race is simulating reality: IMHO driving crazy fast with the 98T using paddles is stupid just like driving a 458 with H shifter and clutch.
    Paddles and auto clutch will always be faster but I find using the H shifter much more fun

Tim Meuris, WallyM and nijeat like this.
  18. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

I have never tried with a clutch and H shifter in this game. But Im having a DFGT with 2 pedals, brake and throttle. Even since the new updates I have never got damage on the gearbox if im blipping the throttle while downshifting.

19. Niki Đaković

Its a pathetic try to justify few things of an old topic. But right foot braking, heel n toe can be learned just like left foot braking. Once learned and gotten into 2nd nature its natural. So the only question is which one is ultimately faster. Its obv when u see h shifting car pop a meter or two ahead of you on every upshift which one is faster then which.

If u can't brake as effective with right foot as with left then that is the lack of skill.

Cheers.

20. Tony74

Tony74 Racer

What the hell are ya talkin about man ?????
    Of course you can do clutchless shifts with a H-shifter !
    The only car I've struggled with so far is the Ferrari 312T - the engine is so revvy that the revs are tricky to match as they rise/fall too quickly.
    You must be a noob.
    :D

Niki Đaković likes this.
  21. Quffy

Quffy Alien

How, what's the procedure?