1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

How fast can you change gears?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Bob the Noob, Dec 26, 2014.

1. Hany

Hany Alien

edited by mod to understand my message. Its not about upshifting but about the downshifts, turn on damage and try it. About me being a noob u have no clue.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2014
    The Moose and Tophercheese like this.
  2. Hany

Hany Alien

edited by mod. Yesterday I showed u with paddles your lack of skills. Equal like u wanted and yet u come here and talk like a little girl. I think I have to drive with a keyboard to match your skills mate.

3. J. Borges

J. Borges Racer

The way I do it is, I use clutch with paddles and I have more comfortable gear changes this way than without clutch so using paddles and clutch DOES work. If you don't assign any H shifter to AC, then the paddles will act as a H shifter. Of course, you still need to know how to be more consistent with the clutch, which is something I'm not very good at yet but I'm learning. :) I love that this happens in AC. Also, with auto clutch OFF, you can shift an H gearbox car without clutch but you can be quicker with manual clutch. Not sure whether this damages the gearbox or not as I haven't tested it myself but based on what Hany said, then I'm gonna assume that you can indeed damage the gearbox.

4. cooknn

cooknn Alien

I'm procrastinating here a bit, but when I finally get an Oculus Rift I'm gonna pull my Playseat Evolution out of the closet, put it next to my desk, hook up my G25 *with* shifter and learn heal-toe. For now, my wheel is connected to my desk and I just use the paddles. I've read that you can gain 1/10th of a second with every shift. That adds up.

5. Hany

Hany Alien

Yes and no, u lose this much only if u dont completely liftoff the throttle when shifting up with paddles.

U lose more when u start braking because u need to heel n toe and u cant left foot brake to balance the car.

Niki likes to talk crap because thats the only thing he is good at. He cant heel n toe and wants everyone who uses an H shifter to be slower than him.

6. It's not slower to right foot brake vs left foot braking.

You're so much faster left foot braking because your driving technique is ****.

Niki Đaković likes this.
  7. cooknn

cooknn Alien

Whoa. I do that a lot. I often wonder how the sim even picks up on my extremely light touch to the brake when balancing the car. But it definitely does.

8. Bailey

Bailey Alien

Have you tried heel-toe with the left foot? :D
    Heel the clutch and toe the brake for some left foot braking action!
    ~Bailey

cooknn likes this.
  9. Hany

Hany Alien

lol no never done that :D i'm fine with right foot braking in road cars

10. I don't really care which control method is faster. I use the H shifter with cars that have a H shifter, and the paddles with cars that have paddles. It ain't rocket science.

The Moose and RedLoto like this.
  11. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

You do mean if you have a H-shifter connected, right? Because im using the little....shifter?! on my dfgt and when i blipping the throttle while downshifting i never get damage. Might be something special if you have a h-shifter connected though?

it should be the same if you set your shifter to sequential mode if possible and try yourself.

12. Niki Đaković

Niki Đaković Hardcore Simmer

@Hany Alsabti, you don't name and shame on forums. Especially not based on lies. Grow up a bit mate. And it's Christmas time, you're getting way too upset over nothing and making it even personal. It has nothing to do with you.
    Besides William said it well, it's all in technique. And you don't even know what you're talking about.

Let's clear it up. I brought the subject of paddle lift off to avoid rev limiter bounce, to show u the fact that clutch is that slow that even when you lift, the revs still don't settle properly. So in that Mazda 878b it showed the live delta to best lap and there was absolutely no difference at all between lift and no lift! Again, that is because the shift doesn't happen fast enough to have this effect involved.

It's a bit dull to bemoan how slow auto-clutch is. It depends on car, torque, length of straight, is it uphill, downhill, but the difference is considerable and should be addressed. I appreciate it all, that heel'n'toe is a technique to be learned and perhaps valued, but the difference atm is appallingly big. Imho auto clutch should be doing it's job in about 1/4 to 1/3rd of a time quicker to have smoother shift with the lift off. And still manual clutch would be faster, because you wouldn't have to lift that one off completely.

13. Xenix

Xenix Simracer

I am a little bit faster with H-shifter, but i make everytime some miss shifts in 10 laps and broke the
    gearbox. Its not so easy to shift fast and safe with h-shifter.
    You need much more skill as the paddles! But you gain more fun :D

14. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

Some cars have quick auto clutch, some not. But in every car the one who uses H pattern has to deal with the possibility of a misfhift and damage in every gear change while with paddles the possibility is null.

If you want to gain the time lost with auto clutch the answer is simple, turn it off.

Hany likes this.
  15. AC Support

AC Support Official Support Staff Member KS Dev Team

I don't like the tone of this discussion. Please relax, guys.

16. Hany

Hany Alien

Based on lies? LOL If I didnt tell u to lift off when using paddles u would have cried much louder now. I know nothing? dude have u ever driven a car beside your ford fiesta?
    Even with H shifter its faster when u liftoff while upshifting. the revs do settle properly if u get the timing right. U need to adapt before u come here and whine all the time. fix your clutch and start driving the cars like there are ment to be driven. out of 10 people there are maybe 2 who can be fast with heel n toe compared to everyone with paddles. the moment u get that clutch fixed u will see the reality of how hard heel n toe is. I bet u will go back to paddles. @ChrisR @jamba @Akis Kev @Psit explain to this clueless girl how easy it is to drive Ruf, cobra or mazda with H shifter compared to paddles /sarcasme

17. Niki Đaković

Most the cars have the slow auto clutch. One I remember being faster then it even maybe should be was DTM.

The damage is not penalizing enough to make this a factor.

Why do you not test it one bit before you come and talk with such attitude? Lift off or no lift off, limiter bounce as I already said makes no difference with auto clutch.
    It doesn't matter. There is no difference.

And cut down on naming a little bit. This is a public place. I'm sure Kunos is not happy with your entire name calling politics.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  18. Rodrigo Pires

Rodrigo Pires Simracer

And the 312, 98t... I guess racing cars have faster auto clutch than the streets.

hahhaha are you kidding? you can bust your gearbox with very few misshifts. One single bad one can go from none to yellow (wich should be like 50%), and once it gets yellow its way more sensitive.

Have you actually ran a whole race with an h pattern? Most of this discussion would be over.

if h&t is the problem you can run reasonably good times just timing your downshifts without blipping, lots of people in my league do that.

19. Niki Đaković

I'm speaking for people who can not afford more then paddle shifter wheel.

And only few cars are gearbox sensitive. While in some other you can still clutchlessly downshift. Its a gray area. Plus this can be manipulated via setting the length of clutch axis.. To make it faster and safer.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  20. jamba

jamba Racer

h shift all the way baby..
    @AC Support ban this two guys @Niki Đaković @Hany for one day, before i ban them on the steam :D

hshift is like ...2 times harder then paddles ... lets go drive 30 laps around nurb and will see who will survive...

Hany likes this.