1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is dirty air a thing? Because if it isn't, the placebo value is over 9000!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by nate, Jul 18, 2016.

1. nate

nate Hardcore Simmer

Okay, so Im pretty sure I know dirty air is a thing and has been around for a while... Even with a few threads on this forum from July 2015 and prior, but I just wanted to give some credit here to Kunos for having enough depth in the physics to make these new F1 cars a truly exciting and exhilarating experience online.

Been messing about with the F138 a fair bit the past few days at Spa, and have been noticing when you are barreling down the Kimmel straight and are about to enter the braking point for Les Combes... If you are tailing another car with DRS in full effect, but arent quite close enough to cleanly pass, so you duck in behind them... it feels like the downforce has just been sucked away from your wings and you will brake long if you dont plan ahead for this. Quite neat to see the effects of losing some downforce, and blowing your braking point :D

Even better though, was a race I was just part of. First few laps of a race and someone is hot on my tail through Campus (still at Spa), so Im trying to hit some good lines through Stavelot to get some good exit speed on the long straight before the final chicane. Well, immediately after the first exit of Stavelot, the guy tailing me seemingly lost all his downforce and spun just enough to drop back a few seconds. Fast forward 2 laps and he is right on my tail again in the same section, and what do ya know... the same thing happens!

After the race he made a comment about how crazy dirty air can be and how you really need to be careful.

Adds quite a nice touch to the overall racing experience in my opinion and a nice element of strategy to really plan the optimal pass if you and your opponent are near equal in pace, or one person is slightly faster. :)

Anyways, thanks to Kunos for these awesome F1 cars, and all the other improvements to the game since v1.0. It's come a long way, and the future seems to hold just as much ahead for us all. :)

Cheers

DaveS78, jonnyboy_99 and Ace Pumpkin like this.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Chit Chat Room Dirty air Jul 29, 2015
    ACC Multiplayer Please insert a report function for dirty drivers Jul 18, 2023
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars No dirty screen/screen reflection effect when overcast? Mar 14, 2021
    ACC Multiplayer Dirty racers/wreckers Apr 12, 2019
    ACC Graphics - Tracks and Cars Dirty Window ugliness Mar 5, 2019
    General modding discussion My Dirty Windscreen Mod Jul 2, 2017
    PlayStation 4 Discussions Dirty Tire-Bug ? (McLaren C12 GT3 @ Silverstone GP - Special -Event) Aug 30, 2016
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Bug dirty car ruf rt12r Oct 26, 2015
    Chit Chat Room Grip on dirty tarmac Dec 14, 2014
    3D car models Dirtydriver's logo replicas - update 23.07.2015 : over 100 new logos Mar 24, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues Mp4-12C GT3 Doesnt get dirty Mar 17, 2014
    Chit Chat Room What Do You Think About Dirty Driver and How To Deal With That? Mar 17, 2014
    Graphics and Models/Tracks Bugs & Issues 458 doesn't get dirty Jan 21, 2014
    Chit Chat Room Dirty Dynamic is ready ? Dec 26, 2013
    Liveries Dirtydriver's carroom (62x) new: nissan gt-r gt3 - gainer tanax #10 Dec 7, 2013

3. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

yesterday i was racing the f138 online and when going behind someone on corners i noticed that i was starting to understeer and locking up my brakes , would like to know aswell if this is a thing in assetto :p

4. pmc

pmc Hardcore Simmer

has been in the sim since long time ago, or least it used to be , haven't raced online in a while

5. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

Strange, I noticed something whilst drafting in the new Ferrari 488 GT3 when i was tailing the AI at very high speed the car felt so unstable in the turbulent air, I too wondered if I was imagining it. felt amazing btw.

6. ouvert

ouvert Alien

It is there for a long time... I would say pretty standard thing in sims.. But to my question if dirty air will influence brake and engine temps the answer was no...i guess no big deal since we don't have engine temp yet and lose of power when temp is too high :)..

TDS likes this.
  7. arthur666

arthur666 Alien

This is very cool. I knew that you could draft in slipstreams in AC, but didn't know it would mess with your downforce and stability etc. :cool:

8. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

I could be wrong, but like the original poster Said it's a very strong placebo effect.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

9. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

Guys what are you on about?
    Slipstream in terms of reduced drag, AND dirty air in terms of reduced downforce has been on AC since... I can't even remember.

Each car in front of you creates a cone of "dirty air" that gradually reduces your drag and downforce. Obviously the effect is not fixed but depends on the cars involved. Following a car with a street car, you'll feel the effect less. With a GT3 a bit more, with a Ferrari SF15-T much much more.

oskan, Jaood, pika4u and 12 others like this.
  10. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

I think it may be more profound since 1.7 or maybe just in the 488. I haven't driven the formula cars in a race yet.

11. Aristotelis

Aristotelis Will it drift? Staff Member KS Dev Team

nope the v1.7 definitely hasn't changed anything regarding this feature, but the 488 GT3 car is one of the GT3 cars with the most downforce, so it might be suffering more... not by much but it might be more noticeable to you.

Mogster, Seria17hri11er and TDS like this.
  12. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

iirc Stefano said in one of his streams that the new F1 cars suffer from dirty air.
    Pretty sure that effect was (almost) not present with the Exos S1.

So it's unlikely that it's only a placebo.

13. MrBungle

MrBungle Racer

Probably I ran imola and the nature of turn 1 when your almost redlining 6th gear I moved out to the right slightly to spot my braking point and it just felt like it could 'let go'. Its become such a great experience and I have to say I love driving that ferrari more than any other gt3, perhaps that's the new tyre model. Over the moon with the latest Dlc and update.

14. ouvert

ouvert Alien

I'll go with trusting Aris above your post in this case :)

15. chakko

chakko Alien

On the F1's it's quite prominent. I especially noticed it in Eau Rouge on Spa... best to keep a bit of distance to the front guy there.

16. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Well yeah. Mainly my point was that I didn't feel anything like that on the Exos, so maybe the aero is different on that one such that you can't really feel it that much?

Could also be that I didn't trust the people in front of me enough to get close enough, who knows? :D