1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Is there too much traction on AC? Comparison with real driving experience

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Fab456m, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Buggi

Buggi Racer

variables belonging ... there seems to be too much grip in general ... especially in drift ... all this makes the flavor of the arcade sim ... I would like less grip to make it more real in my experience of driving

Robilon and SimMan like this.
  2. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Fabio, thank you for sharing this video.
    Once we have cold and damp track available in AC I hope you can make your test again, my guess is you will find the X Bow as unstable as you found it that day.
    You start your post by saying all cars have too much grip in AC, comparing with Netkar pro mostly, and then you start talking about the X Bow, that you help design. It sounds to me as you mind is made up from other SIM experience mostly and you are trying to prove a point using a reference that you would hope to be convincing.
    Thank you for sharing.
    AC is fine as is and I wish those threads about not enough grip, bla bla bla, are going to be less and less as most will realize it is as it is supposed to be.

3. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

I hope so! The last thing we want is for the devs to change the grip levels to make it feel more familiar to other sim users.

4. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

The goal is not to have a SIM as flawed as the SIMs before it so hardcore SIM user feel comfortable about a familiar feeling.
    The goal is to have a SIM that feels more like real driving.
    AC is doing a very good job about that.

5. I must agree that there is something not right with racing cars (GT2, P4/5, Zonda). I mean the braking distance, on Mugello in Zonda I can brake from about 300 km/h just before 100 meters sign, in P4/5 I can brake after 100 meters sign from 250 km/h. I know, light car, fresh tires, but still, just doesn't seem right, almost F1 like.

SimMan and Robilon like this.
  6. Fab456m

Fab456m Rookie

I do not want to critics AC which is so far the best driving simulator I've ever tried, but I want to express my concerns and doubts trying to make this simulator even better, that is the reason why a stem version has been realised and this specifical section created. So if there are more and more people which is feeling that there is too much grip I'm sorry Mr. Dazur but it is the right place to express any feedback or concern...
    I've a lot of experience with KTM X-BOW driven with a very nice tarmac and condition, and I'm pretty sure that the traction coming out from turn is too high in AC...I'll verify the situation about the tires (semislick on KTM X-BOW are strange, and by looking at the graphic they seem to be std tires....but this cannot make such a big difference).
    For all the other cars I've no direct experience, but try to read about an M3, a Z3 aF458 tests on press or on youtube and you will see that these cars are really difficult to drive without traction control / ESP. With AC simply we do not need any elctronic device because the car is too stable, specially in traction...

Waiting for some professional driver to express their opinion, I know there are few around here :)
    No doubts about the very nice job done by kunos, I just want help them making this product even better, too many people has an enthusiastic reaction to AC which make them blind about some aspect which could be improved...

Thanks to all and complete respect to all the opinin here expressed

recelebi likes this.
  7. Racing_34

Racing_34 Simracer

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us , let's wait for the dev guys

Inviato dal mio HTC One utilizzando Tapatalk

8. ProdigyXP

ProdigyXP Gamer

Am I the only one who watched that video and thought it was two people driving a golf cart at half speed around the track? :) I mean no disrespect to the driver by that... I know it must just be something about how it was filmed. It just looked so slow that I was not getting a good feel for the feedback the driver was experiencing.

9. kro

kro Simracer

Nice Vid and your not alone in your findings , don't let the fanboys distract you from expressing your experience's, this IS the time and PLACE for this kind of feed back as you explained, It seems you would have plenty of experience with such things being part of development on the X-BOW so i trust in what your saying and your not alone in your findings , development from here on in will continue and without feed back like yours we could end up with another forza/simcade for the PC .. As it is now its not far off and we are only one or two update's into this great piece of software .. so far im rely liking the psyx of the cars but i do feel the grip is a bit to much , on the other hand if it were released with to little grip people would be complaining about that as well so either way your dammed if you do dammed if you don't have grip ;-).. It's not finished, I have confidence that kunos team will get it right as we head toward v1.0 I have allot of driving experience but not so much in competition but with my BMW 328 with TC off i find its pretty easy to get it sideways , loose the rear, with only a few wrong inputs I do not feel that in the AC BMW's or any of the cars so far .. close but just somethings off ,they seem glued to the track ... my first clue was when my kid ,with his xbox controller was setting times within .xxx of mine on the G27 !! ... but im not that fast anyway ..lol Keep up the good work kunos and team !~!

Fab456m likes this.
  10. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

Fabio, I agree totally with you, this is the place to post concern and express opinion about AC present state and futur development. Thank you for sharing your concerns. You might even be right, I just do not agree, as a 56 years old street and track day driver, I find AC to be as close as it gets, not perfect, but afraid it could go the wrong way.

11. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Sorry there are too many variables to compare a one off experience in a car and whether or not AC is realistic. Fact is that in game weather conditions and grip levels are perfect and car set-up is very easy by default. If Kunos have the money they should ideally have data-loggers and maybe a few real world drivers at least for each car on one track who then race AC and compare the accuracy with the same conditions. Then data+opinions of real drivers with the same set-up and weather = handling in AC. Whether that's easier or harder to drive the some other sim, I don't really care, I just want AC to be as accurate as possible.

12. kinbe

kinbe Rookie

those race car too grip , can't feel the really high power of the car.

13. Ethan Dean

Ethan Dean Hardcore Simmer

14. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

Finished, game is not, wait a while you must. o_O

15. JamesYZN

JamesYZN Racer

Those big balls of rubber on all four corners of the car called "tires" provide a lot more grip than you'd think.

Here's a video of me taking my buddy's go-kart around a few trails by my old place.

Notice how, even on dirt in a cold climate, I still have grip more often than not, running with a pair of slicks that really haven't been broken in as much as we'd like them to be. Most instances of oversteer are corrected with a simple flick of the wheel in the opposite direction. I'd hate to try that same car/track combo with iRacing physics.

I would imagine on a purpose built race car, with several hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on R&D and Tech, that they wouldn't be THAT difficult to drive.

In fact, here's footage of a GT3 team letting an automotive journalist hoon around their $500,000 pride and joy. In the wet. And he doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

D27 and Ethan Dean like this.
  16. JamesYZN

JamesYZN Racer

As I've posted in another thread:

Those big balls of rubber on all four corners of the car called "tires" provide a lot more grip than you'd think.

Here's a video of me taking my buddy's go-kart around a few trails by my old place.

Notice how, even on dirt in a cold climate, I still have grip more often than not, running with a pair of slicks that really haven't been broken in as much as we'd like them to be. Most instances of oversteer are corrected with a simple flick of the wheel in the opposite direction. I'd hate to try that same car/track combo with iRacing physics.

I would imagine on a purpose built race car, with several hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on R&D and Tech, that they wouldn't be THAT difficult to drive.

In fact, here's footage of a GT3 team letting an automotive journalist hoon around their $500,000 pride and joy. In the wet. And he doesn't seem to have a problem with it.

Also, if the game is "too grippy", you probably aren't going fast enough. Head over to the RD forums and try and take down some of the times users have posted there. Everything is going to feel easy to drive when you're 3 seconds off pace.

D27 and Luigi Gianni Vollaro like this.
  17. Hi.

All this blind defending of AC will hurt, more than help it.

Some of these cars physics files have errors giving them asymmetrical suspension setups(and who knows what else), yet the typical die-hard fans will tell everyone that the handling is perfect.

lol.

Don't get me wrong, AC looks like its going to be great, but it isn't there yet.

Regards.

Robilon and MsportDAN like this.
  18. Ethan Dean

Gee, thanks for making such harsh judgement based off of pretty much nothing. I'm not a "blind" fanboy, and nowhere did I say it was perfect, either. Kindly hop off your high horse.

I'm just saying that these race cars have fat, grippy slicks. If it isn't sliding, you're simply not pushing it hard enough for it to want to squirm. Once you do, you'll see looseness. You can't plod about under the limit, on fat grippy race slicks, and blame the physics for the stickiness.

I don't see a lot of four-wheel drifting here.

19. Hi.

Sorry if I seemed harsh, or insulting in anyway, had no intentions for that, and definitely didn't call ANYONE a fanboy. lol

It's just getting old seeing more or less every complaint being shut down so fast, usually by the same people.

I understand driving at or below the limit, but full pedal to the metal acceleration at low speeds in a high power car should require some kind of steering input(at least some of the time).

I don't really buy into the theory that it's easy to drive a few seconds below pace. If that were the case we all could jump into a real F1 car and, well, easily be within a few seconds of TQ. Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt very many simracers would even come close.

*hops off high horse*

Regards.

Robilon likes this.
  20. Ethan Dean

All good, I bear no ill feelings. Bit tired (physically) to continue discussion, but I wanted to make at least that clear :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013