1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Just tried AC in VR

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Chris, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Mr Latte

Mr Latte Racer

I am for ordering CV1 this week, but one of the annoying things is having to dig around for info in settings or in getting started in VR. I just dont want the hassle spending hours puttering around with settings.
    It would be REALLY appreciated if some of you guys that own it for so long create a thread based on what the optimal settings are for this game. Screenshots the works as a helpful guide.

One would assume most people are using 980Ti/1070 level of card upwards and if Rift/Vive need specific settings that are different then these could be highlighted.

Come on, someone, anyone?

chalminho and cerebralvortex like this.
  2. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Its already done. :)
    https://www.riftracer.co.uk/guides/assetto-corsa-oculus-rift-setup/

For graphics settings, you can join this thread:
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/oculus-rift-cv1-support.32820/
    post your pc specs and hopefully someone have similar specs and can share their settings. Alot of helpful people in that thread so if you have questions someone will usually answer pretty quick.

Cote Dazur, mms, Mr Latte and 2 others like this.
  3. Turk

Turk Alien

So, I spent the weekend with the oculus rift, and it is a game changer. When I set up the headset I tried some of the experiences and they were mildly impressive, but AC was the standout experience out of everything I've tried so far. The interiors of the cars are amazingly detailed, I didn't fully appreciate how detailed the interiors are. Again, hats off to Kunos on the models, just incredible.VR does add an extra dimension to the experience, you get to appreciate the arrangement inside the cockpit, a cramped LMP car feels cramped, an open F1 car feels different to a sports car. Sitting in a lotus 49 and watching another lotus 49 pass you by and nip in front of you just feels right. The sense of presence you get is just astounding.

From a driving point of view it's much easier in VR, you can get a much better feel for the orientation of your car compared to your movement on the road, everything feels much more natural and conveys much more information about what's happening. Just being able to look to the apex makes a huge difference.

There is a bit of relearning to do though, some tracks feel very different (I'm also getting used to my new clubsport pedals) but corners are making more sense to me now. Maggots and beckett's at silverstone used to be an issue for me, but in VR I can roll through them easily. It's much easier to place the car in a corner, braking points are easier, side by side is easier, I can use the rear view mirrors properly, it's a big jump in immersion.

Resolution is low, but not pixelated, it's more like those giant LED screens. It's not an issue at all up close, stuff off in the distance does tend to get washed out but even with the F1 cars it's got enough clarity to be able to pick out braking zones.

All the F1 cars are amazing in VR, they work really well. I did the challenge for the older V10 Ferrari F1 car and the first time I put in a clean lap I got the gold reward, I think I'd tried that challenge a few times and failed. In VR I didn't use DRS or KERs systems at all.

Apparently my PC isn't VR ready because of my CPU (i7 2600k, stock) there is a bit of stutter at times but it doesn't seem related to how many cars I'm running. I notice it more through corners so I don't know if the tyre physics is using up what's left of my CPU. The frame rate drops below 90fps regularly but I don't really notice it.

I haven't really done all that much optimisation yet ether. I've pretty much dropped AC graphics settings down to the minimum, PP is off. Didn't really notice a huge difference, it's still looks about the same because of that low resolution. I'll also try overclocking this CPU.

Overall very happy with it. It's a huge improvement on a single screen setup. Huge! It will take a bit of time to get used to the lack of G-forces. It's fine for the most part, but sometimes going around a corner my brain was expecting to feel g-forces and when that didn't happen it would make me feel a bit light headed, and reversing, for some reason that just felt wrong. But it's moments, it comes and goes depending on what's happening.

I think it's already making me faster, mostly down to being able to see a corner when on a single screen I wouldn't have been able to.

I would say that outside of AC I don't see much point. I tried some of the free experiences and they're a nice gimmick but other than AC I haven't experienced anything that would make me want to go back and try it again, I've sort of lost interest in most gaming these days though. It's an awful faff too. AC isn't to bad, I gave up trying to get euro truck working. For some reason I lose my controller settings almost every time I load up AC, Remembering to switch over the sound can be a pain too. It's not quiet plug and play just yet, but it's very usable as long as you remember the checklist.

For sim racing it's ideal, it's up there with getting your first wheel, it's that kind of jump in immersion. Sitting in one of the cars for the first time is just mindblowing.

4. For that, you have the geko gs105, it simulates the g force, it's the perfect combo with the oculus :D

Tim Meuris likes this.
  5. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Welcome to VR! It is awesome for Racing and Flight-Sim use and some space-based games can be quite fun. I find Flying using Touch controllers to move a virtual flight-stick is really quite fun.

One word of warning though; once you are fully initiated into the VR Mafia, there's no getting out . . . alive! Muwahahahahah . . . :eek: :D

mms, Turk and Chris like this.
  6. Chris

Chris Racer

Nicely said. I agree with everything except that line. Have you tried Robo Recall? If not, you should. It's a game changer as well. Also, I suspect anything with a cockpit will be phenomenal in VR, namely flight or space sims. But I'll be waiting for a higher resolution headset before I try those.

Dean Ogurek and mms like this.
  7. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

Was thinking this as well. I have the seat, just waiting for vr to mature a tad more...

8. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Alien

@Turk very happy for you that you started driving in VR, it feels so great and then it is so hard to explain how different and immersive it feels. like you said, game changer.
    @Tim Meuris, yes you can wait, but when you will get VR, you will think, I should have listen to those guys and started earlier, their is no reason to wait, it is already awesome.
    @Dean Ogurek not sure where that mafia term came from, but were are nothing like the mafia, we have nothing to gain from other using VR, all we want is share how great it is so other can enjoy their favorite SIM as much as we do. Is their also a drive a SIM with a wheel mafia, or a brake with a load cell mafia? Or is it just us?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  9. Turk

Turk Alien

Stop, I'm just after spending a crazy amount to get this setup. On top of upgrading my card I had to upgrade my wheel and pedals, my old ones were falling to pieces. I went all out on a fanatec clubsport wheelbase, which got upgraded to the new 2.5 (it's currently doing a tour of the country though, UPS made a balls of the delivery), BMW wheel and the clubsport V3 pedals with damper kit. Of course that meant clamping to a table was out and I had to buy a rig to attach it all to. So I'm done spending money for this year, and probably the next one. :p

I just got the headset, no touch controllers, so I suppose I'm fairly limited in what I can do in VR. Most the stuff on steam assumes you have controllers so I haven't downloaded much bar the free oculus stuff. I'll keep an eye out for sales, maybe if they drop the price of the controllers I might consider them but for now I'll have to do without.

mms and kofotsjanne like this.
  10. Chris

Chris Racer

I don't know where you're located, but here in the U.S., Oculus just reduced th price of the Rift from $599 to $499, and the touch kit from $199 to $99. The combo dropped from $799 to $599. I bought my Rift + Touch at Best Buy a week before Oculus dropped the price, so they refunded the difference. If you buy the Rift Touch kit, Robo Recall comes free. It's not a long game, but it has fantastic graphics, and firearm control in the Rift with the Touch controllers is mind-blowing. What country are you in?

Dean Ogurek and mms like this.
  11. mms

mms Alien

They dropped the prices on the touch controllers recently in the US and Canada, not sure if you can get it from here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oculus-301-00059-01-Touch-Controller/dp/B01LSZCU6M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489436904&sr=8-1&keywords=touch controllers

They just add to the immersion, recently tried the Mission ISS, it's amazing to be able to move around in the ISS!!

EDIT: ninja'D!!!

Dean Ogurek and Chris like this.
  12. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

The term "VR Mafia" was coined some time around the Poll for New AC Features asking what the community wanted. Of course, I use it in jest although, it's exact origin may be uncertain, it's intent was not. It was meant to represent the conviction (in a negative way) of the VR-proponents and their/our desire to expand VR game support in the PC domain. :)

Since then, I've seen the term used elsewhere but, it's possible that these forums may have been where it was born.

bondyboy likes this.
  13. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

Well, we do. The more people that use VR the more/faster it will grow and developers will take it more into consideration when they making their games. No need to fool someone to start using VR though, all we need to do is to tell about how fantastic it actually is even if its not really possible to explain it. :)

jim jones and mms like this.
  14. Chris

Chris Racer

Sign me up.

15. Chris

Chris Racer

Telling people might not be the best way. I watched hundreds of videos on VR, none of them prepared me for the truth. One must be shown.

Great, that sounds religious. Now we have the VR mafia, and the cult of VR divinity. Come be born again.

chksix, atw, Cote Dazur and 3 others like this.
  16. kofotsjanne

kofotsjanne Alien

For a gamer to find a completely new way to play video games after years and years is a big thing. :) Can probably be compared to playing on a Nintendo 8bit in the 80s-90s and get a timemachine to 2017 and try a high end pc and see how games have evolved. Well, a bit over exaggerated but yeah.

Kristaps and Dean Ogurek like this.
  17. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Simracer

I know mate. I had the privilege to test one out with a friend. It was idd awesome but it's more of a rational decisionto wait: three years ago i built an epic rig, cost me a ton but it has almost everything i want. So it does have triples. If i go vr now my triples become useless as well as my gpu, back then the strongest (Gtx980) but now just a tad too underpowered for an OR. So when i m up for a new card i get vr as well. ;)

Cote Dazur likes this.
  18. Turk, you don't know what you miss, worth to sail an organ to get one :p.
    I have oculus + geko, I can't play assetto without them now, it is something very special to be in the car with oculus but with geko, you also feel it, you are seat in a real car, you can't understand until you have tried, that's the same story as the oculus.

I also get the touch since this week-end, cool thing also, guys if you have touch, you have to try onward, it is the assetto of the fps, really fun, there are video on youtube, it's a kind of counter strike in vr but more oriented simulation.

The VR mafia strike again.:cool:

Tim Meuris likes this.
  19. Rosko

Rosko Hardcore Simmer

you can turn on the sound in the oculus ini. You are using a 770? Just wait till you get a decent gfx card & can push the pixel density up it makes a massive difference to the resolution.

mms likes this.
  20. morpwr69

morpwr69 Racer

I have to agree after just switching to vr. Until you actually try it you have no idea how different it really is. I wont even play any sims that aren't in vr anymore and bought a 24 inch monitor to replace my 70inch tv. Ill never go back.

Blamer, atw, Tim Meuris and 3 others like this.