1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Laptop ideas?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Maarten Steverink, Sep 17, 2014.

1. A.r.e.s.

A.r.e.s. Hardcore Simmer

Yes I'd go with 16gb of ram and try for a 980. Otherwise should be a beefy enough rig for AC on high settings. And maybe a green drive instead of a 7200rpm HDD. Save the money on a slower data HDD. It'll last longer.

2. adaptable1

adaptable1 Racer

I have a MSI G70 15 inch "gaming" laptop (same specs as a MacBook Pro but with a 1080p display, i7, gtx 750m), and it can run Assetto Corsa, but only with the graphics settings lowered substantially from a desktop (lower resolution or low AA/AF settings). Previous generation sims like rFactor1/GTR2 run great, and they are a good way to learn tracks while you're traveling, even mod'd with hirez textures and plug-ins. Current sims like AC and rF2 also spin up the fans very loudly after even a few minutes...cool demo, but not really optimized for long sessions. On the 15 in screen, you'll most likely be so far away from the screen, that you won't really appreciate the better graphics.

However, it does a great job with Sonar, Pro Tools, and the Adobe Cloud Suite. It can use the GPU acceleration for rendering video, and USB2/3 ASIO sound cards can run with virtually no latency. It's the best multimedia laptop I've owned (and I go through them usually once every year for work).

3. Thanks for all the ideas and feedback guys! I've decided to go with a desktop instead hehe. People here convinced me. I'm building it myself with the help from a friend of mine, (or the other way around :p) who's got alot of experience with this :)

See if you guys have some ideas about this:

Case: Cooler Master Silent Silencio 652S
    PSU: Corsair RM Series RM750
    CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 - 3.6GHz - Socket 1150
    Mobo: MSI Z97 GAMING 7 - Socket 1150 - ATX
    GPU: MSI GTX 970 GAMING, 4GB
    RAM Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY White Series 2x8GB
    HDD: Western digital WD Caviar Black 1TB
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Basic 120 GB
    DVD: ASUS DRW-24F1ST - DVD brander

I'm looking at the Iiyama monitors, especially the 24". Anyone got some experience with those?

Thanks in advance,

Maarten

Turk, Bailey and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  4. TCLF

TCLF Alien

that's a very good system. Def be able to play AC with almost highest settings at 1080P

5. Quffy

Quffy Alien

Wow man that's awesome, very good choice over the laptop indeed.

6. Blame

Blame Alien

7. Talkie Toaster

Talkie Toaster Hardcore Simmer

Looks good but for the money you could go with an EVGA Supernova 750 G2 instead of the RM 750. The 750/850G2 are Superflower Leadex platform and of high quality throughout, you also get a massive 10 year warranty.

My last "Professional" grade PSU from Corsair turned out to be total pants after about 6 months of use so I sent it back and got the 850 G2 instead, not heard a peep out of it and it's rock solid.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=380

8. Thanks guys, i just ordered all the parts! Somewhere next week i'm building this thing! Just in time for the RC :D

Just one more question on monitors: Do you think i can play AC on triples (24 or 27 inch at 1080)? With the single GTX970? Doesn't have to be highest settings of course :)

I do love the idea of triple 27's hehe!

Bailey likes this.
  9. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Hey guys, just wanted to share my laptop experience with you. I have a neat PC at home, see signature for details. However, since I have a far distance relationship and spend many weekends away from home, a laptop was required ;-)

So after some research I found that the best value for money can be found with MSI laptops and I decided to go for the GE60 20PC for 800 € plus 4 more GB of RAM for another 45€. Basic data: 15" full HD display, i7 4710 HQ, GTX850m (2 GB of DDR5 RAM) and 8 GB system RAM (including the 4 GB upgrade) :

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/msi+ge60+2pci745fd/eqsqid/57072f8e-a173-4517-b543-1a8adb452d35

Here's my +/- review:

+ Performance: AC runs at smooth and steady 60 FPS (limited) on medium to high settings (but without post processing) while the GPU is only at ~65% usage. I might be able to crank the graphics up a bit more but it looks great, already. World of Tanks is a freaking performance killer but at medium settings (post processing and shadows/lighting at low) it runs at a stable 60 FPS with the GPU at close to 100%. The CPU I've never seen at more than 60%...and that's for one core - the others are way lower.
    + Look and Feel (apart from mousepad): Very well build with an aluminium finish.
    + Keyboard: Some keys are oddly placed but the quality is great.
    + Display: Fantastic, good contrast, colors and non-glare finish.
    + Cooling: For a 15" laptop with this hardware line-up and this price tag the cooling is well done. The GPU has 2 thick copper heatpipes leading to the fan. The CPU has no heatpipes. MSI Afterburner shows ~80 degrees during WoT with automatic cooling mode. When the fan is running at max RPM (there's a dedicated button that you can press anytime) you're looking at ~72 degrees. I use a coolermaster cooling pad (cost me around 35 €) with 2 moveable, USB-powered fans pointing at CPU and GPU which produces another temperature drop by ~ 4 degrees. I strongly recommend buying one of those since the cooling pad fans are way more quiet than the laptop one. AC is more gentle with the hardware and heats up the GPU (automatic cooling mode, cooling pad in use) to ~64 degrees.
    When the demand is high my girlfriend could dry her hair next to the fan but the laptop surface (including keyboard) never gets hot.

- Mousepad: it's not sitting tight in the housing but is loose and rattles a bit. It works well but feels cheap in comparison to the rest of the product.
    - 5400 RPM HDD. Just doesn't match the rest of the system and should be upgraded...best with an SSD.
    - Fan noise: There's a noticeable whistle when the cooling fan is running at gaming speed. If I wasn't using headphones it would annoy me. If you do use headphones there is no problem.

Regarding battery operating time: I'm not sure...I had it sitting around just downloading games (display deactivated) and looking something up online every now and then and it lasted for ~ 3 hours (very roughly). Manufacturer claims 4 h is possible in video mode...not sure about that. It does have an integrated GPU but I'm not sure if you can completely deactivate the GTX in order to save energy. I might update this point later...or just don't care because when you game you need to be plugged-in, anyways ;-)

Cheers, I hope this helps.
    Chris

10. Crossfire

Crossfire Gamer

is gtx 670m not enough?

11. Shaddix

Shaddix Alien

no :) Its just too limited for efficieny reason and until 20 cars okay, but above that its the limitation for constant fps.
    Today graphic cars like 980m or whatever the actual one is, would be my choice. :)

12. jamba

jamba Racer

13. adaptable1

adaptable1 Racer

Get one with a GTX 970M graphics card. They are supposed to be as fast as their desktop siblings, and they run cool. My laptop with a gtx 650M can run racing sims, but it sounds like its going to lift off with its fan howling when I do.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GT60-DOMI...e=UTF8&qid=1422282981&sr=8-5&keywords=gtx970m

You can save a few hundred bucks and go for the gtx 850M, but it will probably be hot and loud like my 650M.

All of these chips will do hardware accelerated video rendering (with Premiere)... so there is your "business" justification.

14. LeDude83

LeDude83 Alien

Yes, Intel is superior, which is why AC recommends a dual Intel or quad AMD. Also in my opinion, Nvidia is superior to AMD GPUs, especially for notebooks.

This one matches your requirements:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/msi...7/eqsqid/a4ef7cf6-ba10-43dd-8c52-3e226565552c

But for the love of god, get this one with the GTX 850M, instead for another 70 €! I have an MSI with that GPU (see a couple of posts above) and it's lovely - AC runs silky smooth at 60 FPS with lots of CPU headroom. I guess this cheaper model might run it just as well.

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/msi+gp60+proi545fd/eqsqid/a4ef7cf6-ba10-43dd-8c52-3e226565552c

The difference between the 840 and the 850 is quite big, whereas the step from 850 to 860 is smaller.

15. jamba

jamba Racer

actualy i dont need laptop for ac or some heavy games...just some low, mid games ...iv alrdy got desktop pc home...
    il just go for i5,8gb ram,and graphic 820 or 840m thats it...lets hope i will find one under 550 maybe ;D

btw.thanks for your explan. about graphic