1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Let's discuss iRacing - attempt #2

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by slopps, Sep 16, 2016.

1. henri

henri Hardcore Simmer

It's kinda just illusion. There is heavy prediction to erase warping, but it lead to ugly ghost contacts. Also spectating has a little delay to make it look better. Everything looks nice until it looks very bad. Nice to see how contact sport works with safety rating and those ghost contacts.

2. I have to say that the tyre model in iR seems to be actually pretty impressive nowadays. The way how tyre pressures affects the tyre is something I haven't felt so far with the sims. The pressures do change a lot how the tyre behaves around a limit too.

Of course there are some issues/questions about the temperatures and possibly how the pressures are affecting tyres grip abilities. It feels like there are not much performance downsides towards low pressures. Higher pressures in general are a bit slidey on slow speed (which is very understandable) but grips well on high speed corners. Lower pressures works great on low speed and are as good as higher pressures on high speed corners. The only true downside seems to be more snappy behaviour around the limit. I actually got higher wear with higher pressures but that might be because it makes more slidey driving style possible and probably sliding eats the rubber compound more than the higher load.

Not sure if I talk pure nonsense but that's how I've felt so far.

3. dajdosta

dajdosta Racer

I wouldn' say so

4. I like a lot of things about iracing but my biggest issues are weird physics with weight transfer. Most of the cars just simply won't throttle steer like a real car - ie you lift the throttle and nose tucks in/oversteer potential. Once understeer sets in, it is terminal. Completely unrealistic. Also trail braking is very unnatural with the FFB and very difficult to do. So often it just spins the car. You can't trail deep at all. These too areas are sooooo much better in AC. So much more realistic.

chakko and Nahkamarakatti like this.
  5. I agree. But at the same time iRacing tyres makes you see a huge question mark over AC's tyre model. For example the GT cars lacks grip in general even on optimum surface and with the soft compound. And I make it clear, not in comparison with iR but in comparison with real life onboards. On high speed corners the aero makes things better but on lower speed the tyres just do not grip. The car does not want to rotate. That's the big one and tyre collisions/deformation almost as crucial. I'd go as far as saying that iR tyres and everything else from AC would be my ultimate sim.

Otherwise iR feels a bit strange and the FFB is still ridiculously bad.

6. God no! Iracing can keep their crap tires. Can't wait to see what you have to say about iracing in six months to a year from now, once the honeymoon period is over.
    -----
    Does iracing finally have multiple tire compounds available for GT3 cars?

7. The iR tyre model does many things very well. In AC stiffer the suspension, easier it gets to see the difference. Sometimes suspension makes a nice job hiding the issue. I hope AC2 will improve on that.

Still only one compound.

8. Guess the tire model has changed since I last drove it then because from what I remember the tire generated it's peak grip at room temperature; people would drive their entire outlap for quals in first gear so as to generate as little heat as possible; the road side had a tire model whose temperature characteristics behaved the exact same way as an oval tire. I take it that is no longer the case?

9. Some way, I think it still applies, unfortunately. Good thing is that it doesn't make huge difference. I'm not taking easy outlaps but at least my Nordschleife laptimes still seems to be rather good in comparison with the real life lap times and done with similar looking inputs.

10. etukeno

etukeno Gamer

Tested iracing after 2 years, first (Ruf RT 12R C-Spec) I was surprised that there was actually grip and after you break that grip it can be gained back quite easily.

Now more I drive it with different cars more unnatural it feels, seems in some cases there is now just too mutch grip and how it feels is so frikin unnatural, it's like they just increased amount of grip without changing anything else. So it's still the same feel just more grippy and holy hell does it feel awkward, it's like on super rails and then its not but it's catchable (that catchable part is a good thing). There is no slight slip, it's either on or off and tires feels like concrete with some huge magic grip. Also what makes it so strange is that cars feels like plastic cars with no real weight and still they stick to the ground like they weight many Tons.
    I can't really describe it, it's just nothing like other sim titles and frankly I lost all my little interest that I had with iracing for good.

Most sad part is that what the hell have they done to the skip barber, two years back it was the best car in iracing, only car that made any sense, now it just drive on rails. Used to have to find nice balance with skippy, little like formula vee in automobilista (I know it's not supposed to drive just like vee but it should have some same characteristic). Now iR skip barber has no lift-off oversteer nor heavy braking oversteer while turning, only managed to get rear-end loose only if I really try. it's the most boring piece of s*** in iR 2017.

Sorry for the salt but this title has eaten my wallet too much over the years, so needed to say something.

My top list how tyre grip is handled in sims is: automobilista > rF2(content is all over the place) > assetto corsa > "place many titles here" > iracing 2017.

PS. If you've never tried formula vee in automobilista then you are missing out, that car in that sim will give you lesson about car balance and weight transfer no other sim can give, or maybe rfactor 2 can.

11. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Eh, I'm aware of those issues but the races I've had in iRacing the last couple weeks have hands down been the best races I've had all year and I actually get to fight at the front for a change which is quite nice. If it can continue to provide me with fun racing like that I'll be very happy, despite any tire issues.

12. I agree, the tyres has a bit too much grip but cornering speeds seems to be more correct than in AC for example when actually comparing side by side with the real footage. My experiences are only with the GT cars and pretty much only at Nordschleife because I have no true interest investing $hitloads of money into kaemmerland. Therefore haven't tried the Skippy.

13. fbiehne

fbiehne Hardcore Simmer

Every small openwheeler in every other sim looses when compared to the Formula Vee, that car is a joy to drive.
    I also prefer AC, rfactor 2 or Automobilistas FFB and feel over Iracing, however Iracing offers the best online MP that’s why I still race there.

14. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

So, how's the RallyCross? :)

Dean Ogurek likes this.
  15. chakko

chakko Alien

Try one of the GT3's in iRacing on VIR, and drive through the corner 4 - 5 - 6 complex. No grip at all... you just slide and drift, and beg for traction as if you were on ice. Hence iceRacing, i guess. It's just nonsense. GT3's in AC feel MUCH more real to me, because they feel more planted, and more connected with the road surface. It is ridiculous that they have such a lack of grip, and try to oversteer everywhere in iR. These cars are really easy race cars.

16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

I'm curious about that too. Maybe some comparison to AMS / PC2 / Dirt Rally? I expect it should be better in iRacing but, maybe not. ;)

17. chakko

chakko Alien

I'm interested in knowing too. The problem is, interest costs in iR. :) Not sure if it'll be really worth a 3 months sub or so.

18. I will likely renew my sub this weekend.

BrandonW77 likes this.
  19. unknwn

unknwn Alien

Any good promo codes right now? Last time I tried Iracing I code giving 3 months for 5$, would take it again:D

20. Avoletta

Avoletta Simracer

Quite similar to Pcars2 implementation.
    Enough said.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017