1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Logitech G27 vs. Thrustmaster TH8A shifter

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Alexandr66, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Skybird

Skybird Alien

I think theThrustmaster and Fanatec shifters are for cockpit builders only. They simply are too huge. Its the reason why when I switched from G27 to CSL Elite PS4, I regretted to lose the G27 shifter, but have not replaced it with the Thrustmaster. I also need to attach the wheelbase (and shifter) on the fly to my working table, and dismount it again when no longer driving.

I have read too that Thrustmaster is workingf on a new shifter, and there even was a photo or illustration, showing that it may become much less obstrusive - if it ever comes.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  2. sacredaardvark

sacredaardvark Hardcore Simmer

Wait... what?!
    I'm going to assume that it's old enough not to be covered by warranty? Otherwise none of that makes any sense to me. :confused:

My experience with TM support has been rather good.

Edit: Oh, and while I'd expect that TM support would have pointed you to this, but on the off chance that they didn't and you haven't tried it, TM has a kb-article regarding the issue of the system not recognizing the shifter :)
    https://support.thrustmaster.com/en/kb/2423-en/

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Jebus and Alexandr66 like this.
  3. iannixxenakis

iannixxenakis Hardcore Simmer

My controllers are on a frame that move in and out of my desk, I've no space for a cockpit.

4. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

That sucks. But yeah, when I looked at the inside of the thing, I thought that if it's going to break, then due to the electronics …

Alexandr66 likes this.
  5. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Does anyone have any comparison between the SHH and the TH8A (in terms of feels of shifting)? I really wish to have to ability to easily switch between sequential and H-pattern, but the Fanatec one is way over my budget.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  6. St3fan

St3fan Alien

Also to add to the discussion on feelings between different shifters.
    I have a G27 shifter with this mod: https://www.3drap.it/product/mod-cambio-gearbox-logitech-g25-g27-g29-improved-feel/
    The mod adds a bit resistance to the shifter, but it still doesn't feel like anywhere close to a real car (I've owned a Toyota Celica, an NB Miata, and a '15 Subaru STI. There are people who drive non-sporty cars and vans and they say G27 "is good enough" though). Reasons I don't like the G27 shifter are:
    • the resistance is still very little even with the mod
    • you don't get the feeling of gear engaging in your hand
    • when put the shifter in gear the feeling of hitting the gear feels plastic and cheap
    • the shifter knob is very light
    • the shifter wobbles a bit too much and feel like a toy
    I followed this video and made an adapter so I can use a real car's shifter knob on the G27:

Now the touch of the knob is much better, and it is a lot more satisfying to switch for example from 3rd to 4th, when you just push the shifter a bit and it will get in gear smoothly. However:
    • the resistance is even less because the added weight and leverage
    • the gear engaging still feels bad
    • the shifter wobbles even more
    I tried out a Fanatec shifter at a friends place last month, here are some advantages I find over the G27:
    • a LOT more resistance in shifting
    • everything feels TIGHT and high quality- no wobbling
    • the knob is much superior
    • there is a "click" feeling instead of a "donk" feeling when changing gear
    However, to me it somehow still lacks the satisfaction of shifting gear in real life. I can see what they are trying to simulate with the "click" feeling in the shifter, but it still lacks something. Sometimes when I shift gear using the Fanatec shifter I feel the gears a bit vague.

I've talked to multiple people who have upgraded from TH8A to Fanatec about their opinions on the 2 shifters, and most of them recommend to me that I skip the TH8A and save up for the Fanatec because they think the H-pattern is much better on the Fanatec than the TH8A. After my trial with the Fanatec now I'm really interested in knowing how SHH (which according to GamerMuscleVideos is close to TH8A?) and TH8A actually feel.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  7. Alexandr66

Alexandr66 Hardcore Simmer

• when put the shifter in gear the feeling of hitting the gear feels plastic and cheap - add a kind of rubber to shifter stick in a place, where it touch plastic after shifting. Will make a difference. Not such a big improvement, but for sure it's other step forward.
    • I have a G27 shifter with this mod: https://www.3drap.it/product/mod-cambio-gearbox-logitech-g25-g27-g29-improved-feel/ - do you can recommend it? (Mine G27 shifter already with increased resistance via some modding of main working spring). Looking actually "smart" and interesting.

8. iannixxenakis

Both the G29 and the TH8A shifter feel nicer than the shifter in the Honda Civic I've been having lessons in.

That's really clunky, slow and has a plastic gator which rattles (if you can still call it a gator).

A Ford Focus estate I drove recently was much better.

9. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I used to have some bumper material (drafting tape) in the shifter but I don't see much improvement, and if I shift quickly back and forth 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th in some cases, the soft material doesn't rebound fast enough so I get in consistent feeling. So eventually I decided to remove it. Using velcro might be better.

I have a written review here: http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/got-my-3drap-it-shifter-mod-and-here-are-my-thoughts.130807/
    Now looking back at this review I think most of my statements are still valid.

I think in the G27 package, probably the only thing that is worth keeping for modding / upgrade is the pedal set. The electric motors and the design of the shifter pretty much put a tight upper limit for upgrades. It might also be easier to sell stock wheel and stock shifter when you upgrade to TM or Fanatec prodcuts. I would say save and buy something much better to begin with. But just my 2 cents though.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  10. chakko

chakko Alien

The best shifter i ever used... was in the Mazda MX-5 of a friend. :p

11. iannixxenakis

I seem to remember Richard Hammond saying the gear shift in the original MX-5 was in the top five gear shifts ever (an accolade he just made up for usual comic effect).

Not bad for a budget sports car.

Alexandr66 likes this.
  12. chakko

chakko Alien

TBH, it's the only sports car i've ever driven myself. I remember that the gear shifting absolutely rocked though. :) Really tight, crispy feel to it. You could hardly sit in the car though, if you happened to be of a bit bigger physique, haha.

iannixxenakis likes this.
  13. St3fan

St3fan Alien

IMHO the MX-5 shifter feeling is on par with my Celica, but with shorter throw.
    The S2000's shifter is much tighter and feels much better quality than MX-5. Made by the same manufacturer from the same time period, the Civic Si's shifter has much longer throw, feels much looser, but still a very good one.
    My STI shifter feels similar to the S2000, but a bit more dampened. S2000 feels slightly more click-y. The STI feels very mechanical by the way. I think it actually feels better than the MX-5. I really can imagine the mechanism inside the manual gearbox when I drive my STI.
    I also have experience with a friend's Mustang that has some racing transmission in it. The gear shifter is super tight and extremely click-y. Very very short throw, and the Fanatec shifter resembles it in many many ways.

iannixxenakis likes this.
  14. ShredatorFIN

ShredatorFIN Alien

Owned both, TH8A all the way. Most things mentioned here, but also one thing.. has really good clamp with large rubber contact patch. It's like hard mounted. Unlike T500RS, which has terrible clamp. Also the sensors are upside, it doesn't wear down from years of frequent usage, because there is no physical contact of switches but magnetic sensor. And yeah you can really manhandle it, solid structure.

G27 upsides are that... it comes with G27. And it has all those extra buttons on it, which are useful. The shifter is functional but feels like a toy, TH8A feels (and looks) like not toy but a component from a real car.

Also since it's been a while not 100% sure but doesn't G27 shifter have less gears? TH8A has 7 forward + reverse. Not that many cars use that, but some. Downside is that you might hit accidentally 7 when trying to shift to 5. Takes some getting used to.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Alexandr66 likes this.