1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Oculus rift and 1.3

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Thug, Sep 22, 2015.

1. nonnex

nonnex Alien

I wouldnt relay on occulus... it has done its job to start the current move (I dont like the VR word much, because it reminds me of this lawnlowerman film)
    Occulus is not "the" player anymore, there are other very, very good (or maybe technically better) alternatives going on.

What occulus can claim forever is (if the thing succeed) is that they have kicked the stone that begun to roll by itself.

its a matter of several months or max. one year till the fog clears up and the current situation becomes more concrete.

Mogster likes this.
  2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

Oculus has a significant advantage over other HMD's right now (only co. to have sold two Dev. kits) and will likely offer the most balanced and affordable VR experience next year. Other HMD's may accel in one area or another but, CV1 will likely be the best choice for the investment in the short term. Sure, there are some very high-end HMD options in the works but, the initial cost plus the PC needed to run it will be too much for most people.

3. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Great, then there will be (probably) a HMD for everyone existing from low, over mid, to high end.
    How it should be.

4. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I did read that but it still didn't answer my question....

.... where this does, so thanks.

Its reassuring to know that although you wont actively check the Rift is still working, you wont actually remove support from future updates.
    Lets just keep fingers crossed.

Thanks

5. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

So, next silly question for Kunos.
    Will you be looking at Rift support when the CV1 is released next year or when runtime 1.0 is released in Nov this year?
    Runtime 1.0 will obviously be the final build ready for the release of the CV1 and therefor the one that other runtimes are based on.

6. It'll depends on the availability of a dev with time to have a look at it. I am not really into these stuff so I don't personally work on it, I did the very first Oculus implementation and I hated every minute of it.

7. Thug

Thug Hardcore Simmer

I must admit, I wouldn't know where to start, I am only an end user (early adopter). I only play AC on the Rift though, so its something I will watch and wait for (as will MANY others who play the game).
    Thanks for all your help so far (in the game and this thread).

8. Gert De Preter

Gert De Preter Simracer

I'm sure when CV1 gets released there will be tons of people looking for good games/experiences.

Assetto Corsa was the reason for me to jump the fence and get a Devkit.
    There's nothing better to appreciate the work that goes into creating 3d environments like a game than an HMD, screens have great details but no immersion.

Looking around you in the cockpit gazing at the instruments or looking into apexes with an eye on your opponents, it doesn't get better than with HMD's.
    Now imagine all that with 3d audio.

I sincerely hope there will be devtime for this implementation.
    Thanks in advance.

9. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Without doubt the great customer run and sales on HMD's will be when they (or one of them) would be purchasable in big electronic shops like Saturn, Media World/Markt and so on.
    Kids in 80/90 who have ever dreamed to have such are grown up today and are maybe well paid, but still kids when its about such things.
    When they see it in the electronic store nearby they wouldnt care much about to spend about 400 bucks for such a toy for them selfs. The wife gets a new Coffee machine then. If they finally hold it in hands and plug it in, then they will immediatly begin to buy games with full VR support where they can try out the new cool thing. :)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  10. Skybird

Skybird Alien

Do different headsets by different companies need different, all new support by the software? That would turn the business of virtual headsets into a killing field. And would be an argument for quite some software makers not to go into virtual headset support at all.

In the medium and longrun I think it is essential for the success of virtual headsets that there is one standard only. Like there is just DVD and bluray today, USB dominating and having killed other explored connector standards, and VHS outlasted the other video systems there were.

11. nonnex

nonnex Alien

yeah, depends on the success.
    If it will be a success then MS will integrate it in the DX SDK and such a unified API would help the Soft and HMD-Hardware Devs much then.

12. Gert De Preter

Gert De Preter Simracer

It will be a battle to be the greatest seller of HMD's, just like in the future. (Betamax rules).

Furthermore, I think the movie industry will play a role there too. For example, Disney just invested $65 million in Jaunt, who produce 3d video.
    A certain movie genre will have impact on sales too. Yeah you know what I mean, Debbie.

13. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

It certainly helps to have an interest in VR along with the right skill-set. SMS had one such person but, he recently left the team leaving the task to be taken up by others and it remains to be seen how well they get on but, they are currently working on VR updates again. They are said to have improved menus and v7.0 support coming with the next game update.

All things being equal, I'd choose a title with good VR support over those without 100% of the time. Of course, things are not always equal from one title to another and some compromises have to be made. Hopefully, that's a temporary issue and once the Oculus SDK hits v1.0, VR options will come alive again.

iRacing has quite a lot of triple-to-VR converts that say they won't go back to triples but, iRacing also has quite functional menu's and good overall support so there are bound to be many more VR users there. They even made a specific area in the forum just for VR-related threads and the number of users continues to grow almost daily, some only recently having acquired DK2's. We don't get a good sense of VR-enthusiasm here at all but, it's out there. If you are looking for used triples, the forums there frequently have new FS listings; VR use is growing despite very limited options and being very user-unfriendly right now. I think things will begin to snowball quickly once CV1 arrives.

Mogster and HackMac like this.
  14. Turk

Turk Alien

I'm pretty certain that will get standardised fairly quickly, but there probably will be a year of guessing on the the part of the consumer. While Oculus has the head start because of their dev kit the bottom line is the majority of users will be using the headset through steam which means Valves software might win out. I still don't know which one to buy, if the valve comes out first it will be hard to resist the urge to buy it (unless it's horribly expensive) even though I think the rift is probably going to be a better setup for simulators.

I think the major players in VR seem quite open about getting VR to the market first and foremost, so I don't really expect much of a war when it comes to standards.

15. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Yeah there are many smaller games that do support VR,
    but only a few AAA titles does fully support it, because of the same reason described by Kunosh.

Also after a very successful realease it will take a couple of years for new game titles that want to fully support the new tech (~2-5 years of devel for a AAA titles)

The movie argument is an additional aspect yes.
    But also the classical industry (construction, machinery, car manufacturers) are very interested.

Serious market knowers estimate 2 years of consolidation. Which is fast. We have to consider that the Hardware will get throu a couple of technical evolutions in the begining. You can plan and test how long and accurate you will, but if a product gets released and spreaded in millions you have to fix and inprove after analyzing the rollout and data.

I for sure will be one of the customers, but in this case (normaly I jump on earlier) I'll wait till its mature.

16. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek Alien

In most cases, I would agree with you but, for some of us - VR has greater meaning, i.e., VR enthusiasts:
    • Many of us have been waiting and dreaming of VR for a long, long time already; in my case, it really began with early game consoles and computers
    • Being older means having a smaller window to experience VR and related technical advances; speaking in terms of 5 to 10 or more years may extend beyond our lifespan hence our greater sense of urgency
    • As you know, the practical applications for VR go far beyond gaming and entertainment; uses in science, education, biology, medical, psychology, military, social interaction, etc.
    Games and entertainment are just the tip of the iceberg but, it's one that can provide a serious boost to VR development through greater demand.

JoeMoore and nonnex like this.
  17. ears

ears Hardcore Simmer

Well, for what it's worth, what you made is beautiful. Despite all the flaws - no setups, GUI hard to navigate, very little ingame info, etc etc. I just keep coming back and wanting more because it's ... beautiful. Breathtaking and immersive.

18. nonnex

nonnex Alien

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  19. Playing AC with the rift (DK2) was so awesome, I can imagine how satisfying it will be with the much better CV rift. I plan on getting one and making a special race sim spot with a decent seat, permanent wheel and rift, but only if AC supports it. I think the rift can change a lot for driving simulators, no need for extra monitors - you can just put your seat into a corner against a wall and use a rift. Saves room and even money if you'd otherwise have gotten 3 monitors.
    I can wait until the CV release, but please make it happen!

20. Rioku

Rioku Racer

I suppose full support will come with Oculus Rift CV1