1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Porsche Pack 1 Comments....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Christopher Low, Oct 25, 2016.

1. BrandonW77

BrandonW77 Alien

Real auto-crossers and racers will spend endless amounts of money in the quest to make their cars handle better and be more compliant. Sim racers complain when a car handles good and is compliant because they want the car to be hard to drive.

#irony

Jebus, nanucq, aphidgod and 15 others like this.
  2. St3fan

St3fan Alien

I'm wondering IRL how the 918's wing actually works. In AC it looks like the wing raises whenever the car starts to move even a tiny bit, and it just stays the same height and same angle all the way along, only when the car is fully stopped does the wing retract itself. Under braking it doesn't tilt for aero braking which I used to assume it does.

In comparison, the wing on the Panamera raises at a certain speed, and retracts when the speed drops below that. You don't need to make a full stop to retract the wing like you need to do in a 918. Also I don't see the wing changes its angle when I brake.

I'm wondering if the wing behaivors are a bug or as designed. Never owned a 918 or a G2 Panamera (apparently :p) and most 918 videos I could find online don't help explain how they work.

3. ouvert

ouvert Alien

so I finaly got some time and try PP1 and 1.9 update

FFB/feeling: game feel better now .. not sure if it is new LUT I did or perhaps I had enhanced oversteer turned on but I can say AC FFB is back in my TOP3 (3th place)
    Sounds: exterior sounds are very nice, the new (at least sounds like new) reverb effect in cockpit is great, most of the porsche interior sounds are better than AC standart, when you get over those weird 2000 RPM they are accualy good sounds. I like new tyre sounds too.
    TM V10: haven`t spent too much time on V7 but seems to be better (tired on GT3 car for comparison)
    Brakes: I would say better than I remember it. Sometimes I used to lock brakes with 10-20% of pedal pressure or in a situations where I wouldn`t expect. That is not happening now, I can go hard on brakes .. perhaps too hard.
    Porsche Pack:
    This being first time we have 'Porsche branded' Porsche cars since GTR2 and GTLegends in PC game those 15 bucks I paid are well spend just by looking at them in showroom :) worth every penny
    In order I tried them:

• 935/78 Mobby Dick: One of 4 cars I was looking forward to. Expecting something like Fabcar 935 and while it sounds great, feels good it needs a lot setups changes to be fun. With much stiffer rear ARB, rear aero to zero it gets better but I would have to take more time in garage to cure it from that understeer in fun way. But it is 935, I`m not gona let this one go ..
    • 911 RSR: Another one I was hoping to be good, and it didn`t let me down. Sounds are nice, specialy external, feels loose in enjoyable way. Good
    • 917 Spyder: 3th car I was looking forward to. Well that one is not for quick testing.. didn`t like how it drive yet enjoyed the challenge. Not sure if ACs FFB on my setup will be good enough for this one. Need more time with it
    • GT4: Last one I was hoping to be good. And it is .. well GT4 .. fun way how to do GT .. like it
    • 911 Carrera S: Not really interested in this one. Was ok for a spin
    • 918 Spyder: Wasn`t excited about it at all, expecting something as boring as LaF and suprisingly it is nice do drive, doesn`t feel dead and numb ... probably only surprise of this pack
    • Cayman S + Panamera: perhaps it is just me not getting best sensation of driving and speed in AC but Ford Focus on the way to pick up groceries is more exciting than this and Heel&Toeing 20 years old skoda with semibroken floating rear suspension on country roads is 100x better ... Sounds are uninspiring .. might be like that in real life, don`t know. I appriciate H-pattern shifter in Cayman but these ones does nothing to me .. even Levante was nicier to drive.
    Overall good content-money value. I ended up sliding over Oulton park in S2000 MCR :) but this update and DLC is something that will make me launch AC again .. thanx Kunos ..

quicomc likes this.
  4. The Cayman 718 S was a bit slower than I expected @ Vallelunga Club, but at least that means that it slots perfectly into Gunja's Streetfight Middleweight server list :cool: The handling has a bit of character, and it took me quite a few laps to get a feel for the car. I look forward to racing it at Gunja's Speedway :D

5. Berry

Berry Alien

Imho, it's not on-point to how the real car behaves, the chassis should be much more refined, I reported it in the Physics session, I hope the devs will look into it, the ride-height and suspension characteristics are not what you'd expect from real-life reviews at all.

6. AmorFati

AmorFati Hardcore Simmer

Damn,

I just did a few laps in the 911 s around the ring, and I parked the car, light up my goofy smelling cigarette, sit back and relax for a bit.
    And after a few sec's I noticed my car started to lower itself... So I drove around a bit and checked again, and the suspension was adapting again...
    So I'm not completely sure if it's a new feature that I didn't hear about, or I'm just tripping balls right here....
    Couldn't find anything in the patchs notes about it either, anyone can help me out with this massive mindf*ck right here?

7. ShimonART

ShimonART Alien

i noticed this too but dont remeber on which car :s

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  8. Boris Lozac

Boris Lozac Alien

Brutal, brutal combo, this car is too good.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
    DaveS78 and arthur666 like this.
  9. You're missing the point. It doesn't have to be hard to drive. It doesn't have to be fast either. It doesn't have to be the most beautiful.

Perfectly played music is not beautiful. Perfection is not beautiful. There would be zero overtakes during the perfect race. It's all those weaknesses which makes thing interesting. But BMW manufacturing 4-cyl turbocharged FWD Hatchback is not going to work. BMW is not there to do a copy of Japanese hatchback. BMW should be proud of its identity. Just like Porsche should.

When I had a chance to drive a true and honest Porsche 911 it was just mindblowing experience. The ground underneath the car was vibrating when I looked that idling sleeping beast. It was noisy as f**k. Brake pedal were rock hard. Steering were really heavy. Clutch pedal felt like it's moving mountains. And the acceleration felt like a plane taking off. Everything was just so uncomfortable and ridiculous that I'll never forget it.

For me the sim car has to be enjoying enough to lap alone lap after lap after lap before I even think of racing with it. I want to study how I should drive the car. I know slow and boring cars makes great racing but it's just not enough. Driving is the thing why I'm here instead of playing Java-Chess.

Ps. I'm so looking forward for the modern 911R! <Add drooling Homer here>

10. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

Holy... damn it.

The 917/30 is MUCH faster around a lap than I imagined. It just lurches forward. Without mercy. The acceleration is so violent that even at high speeds you need to take care of the front axle if you wanna keep it pointed. But it has surprisingly good grip if you figure that out... can't wrap my head around how much of a monster this car is.

11. PLebre

PLebre Hardcore Simmer

My favorite, the GT4 cup! Wow, it is like driving a kart.
    AC tires are top, anything near, you really have to take care, like in IR.
    Looking forward for a league, got some ideas for it. Mean a cup for people that haven't must time for practice before the race.
    Like this, track will be choose by random 2 days before race day, ballasts weight, first 8 place inverse grid for the next event.

Regards,
    PLebre

12. Mogster

Mogster Alien

It's the answer to the question, what would race engineers build if there were no rules...?

70% turbo and it hits 210mph quite easilly at Riverside. It feels like it's just getting going lol... :eek:

Fairbanks and arthur666 like this.
  13. Radfahrer

Radfahrer Hardcore Simmer

I once was a simmer just like all the others ...
    Then I got PorschePack´d in the steering wheel .
    Since that day my complete PC table is hovering about 8 inches off of the floor ...
    Thanks !

<3 KS

14. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

Managed to drive three other cars today. The only one missing yet is the 918 Spyder.

935 "Moby Dick":
    This thing is weird. Ok, it understeers like hell. But I can adapt to that and everything is fine … until it suddenly understeers into the wall.
    So next lap, keep in mind that that corner might be dangerous, but then it freaks out at another corner.
    It feels a bit like it's randomly afraid by corners. You have to caress it into corners and then it might work.
    But then, when you got it figured out – somehow – it feels great. Like proper, low-downforce race car.
    And than sound, oh yeah! :)
    Will be an interesting event on Sunday, looking forward to that.
    Still need to get some practise done until then.

Cayman GT4 Clubsport:
    I don't know what Porsche was thinking when bringing this thing to the track.
    Touch a curb only in the slightest way and it starts jumping around like you gave it a Christmas present.
    Seriously, wtf? It's oscillating like crazy.
    It really shouts in anger for better suspension (which you can adapt) and damper (which you can't adapt) setup.
    Stiffened the front ARB and that helped a bit, but this one won't make me happy.
    Also don't get why you can't adjust the brake bias in the cockpit.
    At least the sound makes up for it, but even there I prefer the Maserati (which raced this against).
    Did 2 races in this car and I think that'll be it for a long time.
    For me, it's definitely the worst car in the first pack. I think it's safe to say that, even if I didn't drive the 918 yet.

911 Carrera S:
    First tried this on street tyres in standard setup and I really didn't like it.
    In that mode, it felt like the Cayman's big, fat and clumsy old brother.
    Sure, it has more power and is a bit faster on the straight. The back steps out nicely and can be cached with ease.
    But it just doesn't feel too balanced and planted. Maybe it was due to the low grip setting on ALOOG-6, although the Cayman got around there just fine.
    Switched to SM and – in contrast to the Cayman – it changed it's character completely.
    Suddenly felt much more balanced, was much more confident driving it. It became agile – sort of – and very nice to drive.
    Almost no understeer, slight turn-in oversteer and a lot of traction on the corner exit.
    With small adjustments it felt even better and I started to like it.
    I think I should try it again with street tyres and something like 98-99% grip, we'll see.
    Still I wouldn't buy one, because there is one big letdown: the engine noise.
    Like the Panamera you constantly are missing something when you're inside the car. It's worse for the Panamera, but this 911 still lacks sound.
    I will look forward to the 911 R, hoping that it will improve there. (Of course not only there. ;))
    And compared to the Cayman, I'd definitely pick the Cayman, even if it is a bit slower.
    The Cayman is just the better ride. I think if you add a mechanically locking diff to it (available as an option) it will be much better to drive.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  15. Fairbanks

Fairbanks Simracer

Having the same problem with this car. Pity, 'cause I just LOOOVE LOOOVE LOVE the sound. And, chastise me for this blasphemy, it's so ugly that it looks great again. I have the weirdest crush :oops:

Managed to eliminate a little bit of understeer by "reversing" the front and rear ARB stiffness. Mr. Levesque elaborated on this earlier in this (or another) thread, I think. If you tighten the rear and loosen the front ARBs, the front axle will stay connected to the road more evenly under lateral load, sacrificing rear grip. But with this car, it almost seems as if that's exactly what you want, for corner *entry* at least. Also, as you said, you really have to take it easy into turns. Feels REALLY weird at first, almost anti-climactic, especially when switching from cars that behave almost detrimentally to that. Lock and load, point and shoot. :D

But I think I'm gonna go and learn how to actually drive this car. It's such a gem, 'cause it really is "something else", and, ya know, GROUP 5 BABY!

16. Couldn't help it.

[​IMG]

insomnia, ALB123 and Robin_NL like this.
  17. nate

nate Hardcore Simmer

Im not sure you are exactly the bastion of judging the 'feel' of a race oriented car when you are probably the biggest advocate for road cars this forum has... :D The bias is real.

(just a light hearted joke ofc)

18. martcerv

martcerv Alien

A lap of Nords tourist in the 911 RSR, far from a perfect lap but its fun to drive. :D

Mogster likes this.
  19. Berniyh

Berniyh Alien

I noticed already that there are quite a few people around that love the GT4.
    I don't know, maybe they expect something else from a racing, or they drive it differently.

With this one, it really seems that most people either love it or hate^Wdon't really like it.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  20. Robin_NL

Robin_NL Alien

I'm reading things like what was Porsche thinking when developing GT4 CS. It's this and that and this is wrong and that's wrong with it...

Do you really think even Kunos with its more than awesome AC can reproduce any car 1 on 1 (feel driving etc)? No they can't sorry(but they're close)
    And do you really think a GT4(CS) is that bad irl?
    In AC we drive 80-90-100% on the limit easily because its a sim. No real feel(even if you have the most expensive rig available)
    IRL on a track /driftday it's something else , believe me.

Just to put some things in perspective.

Thanks again Kunos for this great Porsche pack.

Cheers
    Robin

21. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I havent seen all comments here but didnt see thatany say the gt4 is bad. Its more that its a bit under powered and over tyred so more a momentum car. These can be fun to race and push the linits but many prefer a bit more of a drivers car.

As in one that has a bit more character and not so much grip that its very much a point and shoot type car. This is simar to the m235i, mx5, tatuus etc. These are generaly entry spec single make classes to be accessible to new drivers not necessarily the top end of motorsport. Gt3 is an odd one as it was more created for the gentleman drivers to begin with so its a similar high grip/aero to power ratio but has now encourage many top drivers into the class.

At the limit these cars are still a challenge and it shows in sim and real racing the better drivers do still show their class. Its just at the lower end they are more accessible and less likely to spit you into a wall then older gt cars or fast ow cars that many prefer to drive.