1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Ales Nocar

Ales Nocar Hardcore Simmer

I think yellow flags are important for tracks like Nordschleife.

2. F1Dave

F1Dave Racer

@Michael Hornbuckle he also said
    "Nobody here is willing to sacrifice replay quality for length"

I can assure you most league admins would be as it would not be used for a pretty video it would be used to resolve race incidents, so it can be done but will come at a cost

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
    ChokDK likes this.
  3. youwerelucky

youwerelucky Racer

I think the way this is finally resolved would affect the “philosophy” of the game. From what Stefano, and many people here, says it seems that the emphasis right now is being put in “justice” (after technical feasibility, of course): fight cheating at all costs while trying to avoid unjust punishments for the mistakes of fair drivers. That makes a lot of sense if the ultimate goal it’s to make public servers racing very serious. So serious in fact that it would seem fit for a racing for money prizes model... But it also seems that this approach is not completely compatible with realism and immersion, or at least relegates them to a second concern, while makes arcadey solutions (ghost cars, take control out of the driver, transforming polyurethane signs into concrete...) a useful temptation.

If AC will continue to be just a game (a great simulation game) I would prefer a solution based in real rules as far as technically/reasonably possible even if that means some residual amount of cheating and/or unjust punishment. All I get from doing a good race is fun, self-satisfaction and an ephemeral final position message. For me trolling is a far worst problem than cheating and seems easier to tackle via automated kicks (xx seconds driving wrong way, xx seconds parked or lingering in the track=out) and better voting implementation. Cheaters are a nuisance but you can still have fun with the people that are racing fairly and normally are the fastest. Also immersion (in this case being punished and seeing flags for things they don’t understand well) could help to educate some “thugs” into “ordinary gentlemen”.

Thanks to Stefano for taking the time and patience to discuss all this in the forums.

Deleted member 51600 likes this.
  4. Perfect world scenario for me regarding yellow flags....a spotter telling me 'caution ahead' rather than an annoying, arcade cartoon flag appearing in the corner or top of my screen. Even better if there are also animated corner workers displaying the flag, but I understand that AC is much more graphically intensive than older games and this might not be possible.

I still want drive through black flag penalty for jumping the start with a reset to pits, see you next race penalty if you don't server the black flag the next lap. Penalties on last lap get the throttle cut that we have now, but for double (or more) the amount of time.

7he4Ce likes this.
  5. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Mod tracks could have a line in some setup file that indicates what kind of lap time a good driver can get in certain cars (gt3, m3, 312t for example). Then use those cars to calculate lap times for other cars. After time goes on you replace those lap times with the world records.

For mod cars same thing. Add a section in car.ini for 3 tracks (say mugello, megione and spa) and what lap times the car does on those tracks. Then use those lap times to calculate lap times for other tracks. The system does not need to be extremely well refined. Just accurate enough so you can tell if someone makes a blatant cut (needs to give more time back), small cut (give back little time) or did not gain any time at all when he went off.

6. Vítor Sousa

Vítor Sousa Alien

@Lord Kunos can't you guys code something to save several replay files and merge them at the end of the race??

jc1993, ChokDK, Rui Santos and 2 others like this.
  7. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Black flags normally give you 3 laps to server the penalty if you get it at the end of the race it can simply add a time delay to your finish, no point continuing on with this stupid forced slow down business. Better just to do it as it is in real racing no need to reinvent the wheel and make it square.

8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

Yellow flag is important Michael, arcade is not displaying any or spotter "guessing" for you...

An animated steward is possible and it's somewhat 1 or 2 FPS consumig, for sure not heavy and will bring life to tracks! They can hide as soon as they're not needed. Also it will be great for other flags, like checkered flag, etçª...

9. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

yeah, if this game should have the world's best penalty system, it has to implement lots of messurements like car speed(s), angle of the cars compared to where at the track etc etc.. but that would be an endless calculation, so we MUST try to find easier, maybe not 100% optimal but at least (more) useful solutions than the 5 sec penalty.
    Even if Stefanoe did get all those things implemented there would still be moments where it would not be "fair".
    Not even real life educated stewards agree and "what was happening".
    One plus though is that game stewards can see the different cars from inside etc and have a closer look at how the person was racing (if the "I must not speak about" thingy was big enough.. :)

I couldn't agree more, it's like a good dad patiently saying "you got 5 € to use in the candy store, so what do you want?" :)
    It can be hard to be patient enough to hear what his 1000 kids in here want though, but we hope for patience ;)

10. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

Can we do the OT about replays and yellow flags in another thread, this should be kept to stuff we can realistically have to be implemented before 1.1

11. What I meant was.. yellow flag is a very important information for the driver and we'll implement it.. what I will not implement is all the rules about not passing, not going faster than your best lap and so on.

12. How is a spotter calling out the caution 'arcade', yet having a cartoon flag on your screen that is triggered by the exact same actions that would trigger the spotter audible is not?

7he4Ce, jasjeet and ChokDK like this.
  13. jasjeet

jasjeet Racer

Think people don't like excessive HUD is more the reason than "arcade!". Either way I find spotter cheesy and don't mind HUD. Implement the HUD have an option to disable the flag HUD like the rest of the HUD. Those people then can rely on their spotters.

Phil64 likes this.
  14. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

Let's end the Yellow flag here.
    We got the King's word for it will be there later in some way.
    Need sleep but wake me up if any news ;)

15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Hardcore Simmer

What if i want the spotter turned off like i have in rFactor for example? Will i have to turn it on to get scared by a message from time to time? A yellow flag waving on track by a steward or on top of the screen is that bad??? So where are you guys pretending to put the other flags??? I really don't get you guys sometimes...

16. I know what the rule and penalty and such is in the real world; 3 laps to serve a penalty in a 5 lap race seems a bit daft.

17. Sorry then, misreaded your previous post about it :)
    I agree that other things are not really necessary..

18. that would create a huge stutter when the save is triggered. I think the solution is a proper server side text report, easy to parse and analyse with entry for every contact, track cut and so on. Plus a server based position stream.. with a public documented format to allow people to write graphical analyzers. The server has the data you really want to look at, and, being a small application, it's quite easy to make it 64bit and remove any possible memory limit.

19. I think it has to do with the racing culture in different countries. In the US.. a spotter is very common.. in Europe is simply unheard of.

20. martcerv

martcerv Alien

I just dont see any benefit of the forced slowdown penalty at all in any shape for any reason, this will just mean more slower cars on track and will effect everyone else. Give the person a time penalty if on the last lap rather then that please or at least give us the option to disable any slowdown penalty as its easily the worst thing in AC for me.

Christopher Low, Phil64 and dauntless like this.