1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Progressive system penalty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by Darcy Callai Junior, Dec 29, 2014.

1. .Repa24

.Repa24 Hardcore Simmer

That's another thing...
    But what about binding keys to selfwritten senctences, in wich you can say "AFK", "Hello" or "You can overtake", like in GTLegends?

Back to penalties:

The devs have to decide who they want to support with the penalty system:

1. Public players
    2. Leagues or racing communities (like the ones i am in)
    3. Both (= 2 speperate systems wich can be turned off, if it's needed (public or leagues))

I don't race on public servers but the penalties are just gamebraking for organized events and still a point, why some guys of our racing community (schwarzbierbude) don't wanna take part in the races (apart from sound crackling and performance issues).
    We still prefer a flag system with all the flags like black, green, yellow, back-white and so on. We're already thinking of making the blue flag app mandatory. The flag system is better in my opinion, not only because it's better than crashing into someone who has penalty but also because it's more realistic - and that's what we want!

Think about it, who will race later, when the game is about 3 years old, on public servers? Not many people (just look at GTL, GTR2, RACE07 etc.)
    But now is now and we need a solution. I understand the position of public racers with crashing idiots and dumb people and their behaviour, a penalty system made by Kunos would be okay, i think. But again, you'll never see a 24h race (if it should be possible sometime) on a public server, only in organized events. And 24h races are nothing for crashing idiots.

And that's why 2 systems, a realistic and a non realistic one, should be coded. I understand, it's more work, but nearly everybody would be happy in long term.

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  2. All bets are off, welcome to the wild, wild west; it's prison rules from white flag to the checker........Easy to code and works for me.

3. dauntless

dauntless Alien

I thin most leagues and public server in the end want the same things. A good fair automated system. Very very few are hardcore enough to run and enforce very specific rules with live admins. In most cases in a league you have people setting up the whole thing who just want to drive too.

A valid complaint doesn't need to present better solution. Just the message alone that something is not working or is not working correctly should be enough. If majority of people don't like the way slowdown penalty works in ac currently then that alone should already be enough info to suggest that a change is needed. Not every single of those people need to have a detailed and better version in mind. Feedback means feedback. Not feedback and solution.

Public servers need improved penalty system. This IS important.

WallyM likes this.
  4. Phil64

Phil64 Simracer

Yellow flags as a warning only with no consequences for not slowing down?

ChokDK and Alessandro Greghi like this.
  5. bigbawmcgraw

bigbawmcgraw Alien

Regarding penalty on the last lap:

If x tyres go off track on the last lap and the player has gained an advantage at the end of the lap, a time penalty is given after crossing the line if he doesn't take his drive through at the end of that lap.

How much time is added??

We should know pit lane distance (from pit entry to pit exit)
    Pit lane speed limit = 50mph(?)
    Time added = (distance/speed)

In most cases his lap time would be quicker if he, a) slows to ensure he doesn't gain an advantage (obviously), or b) takes his drive through penalty as he will have crossed the finish line when in the pitlane.

6. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Well one way to prevent cutting and passing someone and then taking the slow speed penalty while waving like crazy to not let the person repass you who you just passed offtrack is to make sure the penalty time only goes when your steering wheel is straightened. This would prevent waving. Every time you make big enough wheel movement the timer resets.

7. Champion Hero

Champion Hero Simracer

IMO, the solution to this is fairly simple. Wally + Ferito's + SPOTTER apps, slightly modified to enforce a penalty. I'm not a coder, but seeing that the code for these apps is already here, all work v.well, I can't see it too hard to implement.

Spotter would deal with the Yellow flag warnings
    Ferito = Blue flags
    and Wally's the warnings/drive through

I appreciate flags, new rules etc can take time to develop, but certainly those three apps would solve 90% of people's complaints and give the dev team time to work out how to implement other flags.

8. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

this is key if this is the direction Stefano takes imo, if you go wide because you push too hard, being forced to brake momentarily to drop your speed before rejoining is far less crippling and dangerous than being forced down to 50kmph with the other drivers having no way of knowing unless you flash your brake lights (punishing yourself even more).

i think this kind of system ultimately needs 2 main forks, anti cut system (as described below for example) and then anti-track limits abuse system that doesnt punish someone for going wide for pushing too hard (as described above for example)

anti cut system:

chicanes with escape routes like monza t1 are going to need special treatment regardless as far as i can tell to make them work in public. suggest invisible sector gates on the chicanes that if not passed through are considered a cut, but if you take the escape route below a certain speed (shown to you by a warning at top of screen, then you dont get the cut penalty (drive thru, or whatever) so that people dont get screwed for braking late.

for chicanes with escape routes:
    if(you dont pass through the chicane gate){
    show warning for rejoin speed (e.g. cut detected, please exit the escape route below 50kmph)
    if(dont pass through escape route exit below rejoin speed){
    drive through or whatever
    }
    else{
    no penalty
    }
    should also work nicely for nurb gp chicane before last corner which is also prime cutting territory.

for chicanes without escape routes, can fall back to the exit speed/time off track idea, but just having the fact that the chicane was not driven through as an extra indicator that there was a cut and perhaps additional penalty should be given on top of the normal one for going wide.

maybe not perfect but definitely would remove the incentive to cut significantly right?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  9. dauntless

dauntless Alien

I don't see the point for rejoin speed limit? What does it achieve, what's the purpose? The slower you force people to rejoin the track the more directly they will drive towards the track when they are on the grass which means the slower the speed the more perpendicular they rejoin the track. What you want is to people rejoin the track going to same direction as the people on the track and not perpendicular to that direction becuase it is the shortest route.

jasjeet likes this.
  10. Luigi Gianni Vollaro

Luigi Gianni Vollaro Hardcore Simmer

I agree with most of the ideas expressed here.

I like.....
    3 cuts = drive through
    next 2 cuts = 10 second stop and go
    Last lap = 5 seconds added to final time for each cut

Also how about tires that take longer to clean-up the further you leave the track and tires that are much more slippery when they are dirty?

MAUZERIS[LT] likes this.
  11. Champion Hero

Champion Hero Simracer

T1 Monza is easy to fix - make the barriers there solid. You HAVE to slow to to use the escape route there, else, severe damage.

12. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

are you referring to my post about the escape route rejoin speed limit or for people going wide from pushing too hard, or other cuts without escape routes (maybe spa last corner?)

i didnt really address other cuts like spa last corner (ive never seen anyone cut that one so not sure if theres even an advantage, but i havent got another example in mind of a potential cutting section without an escape route, but hypothetically for that one the speed and time off track should be enough to determine an appropriate rentry speed (e.g the kind of speed people normally exit last corner there) so people dont come full speed off the back straight and cut across the grass to get on to the start/finish straight. again you probably cant even do that very easily because of the sausage kerbs and angle of the corner, but hopefully you get the idea

13. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

We got Track map to see if other cars are in front, and if necessary the Spotter app too - imo there's no big need for yellow flags (edit) but yeah blue flags is a kind of most - you can't really tell if you're lapped or not in a race with 15+ drivers.

Phil64 and ears1991 like this.
  14. Champion Hero

Champion Hero Simracer

...yet. But they should come eventually! :)

15. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Cutting the monza t1 chicane for example.

I still don't see any need at all for any speed limits. If a player cuts the track he needs to give that gained time back. Any kind of speed limit just seems like additional complexity with chance to cause more issues (one punishment over other, slowed down players causing incidents when they rejoin the track in wrong ways).

16. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Not everybody wants to drive with the track map on.

The Moose and Rui Santos like this.
  17. ChokDK

ChokDK Hardcore Simmer

You can use the Spotter app then?
    "Slow car ahead".
    If wanted I can easily edit and upload the sound samples so it will only speak of that.

Radfahrer likes this.
  18. ears1991

ears1991 Alien

agree, yellow flags wouldnt enhance public racing much imo, the main problem there is cutting going unpunished, people getting crippled for pushing too hard and causing accidents by having to slow down so much.

im sure yellow flags are nice to have especially in league races, but surely are lower priority overall? at least in a league you can use TS to warn of incidents, not going to happen in public, and track map and using your eyes generally covers most scenarios for me. the track map is hardly intrusive like in most games, mostly transparent, i hate having apps on screen but this is one of the few that i dont mind.

I see, so afaik calculating the time gained has been said to be too difficult to work with (e.g. setting a deliberately slow first lap then cutting the rest. or reffering to the players PB, what if they dont have one, a cheater will just keep their PB records empty to exploit such a system).

rejoining monza t1 or nurb gp chicane at a certain speed shouldnt cause any issue, monza is wide at that point, and nurb gp you would be off racing line. ideally a yellow flag would be shown, or an icon above that car so people are aware, but seems fairly minor to me.

stefanoCasillo likes this.
  19. Phil64

Phil64 Simracer

I don't like driving with the track map on but in multiplayer I always do out of respect for my opponents. Same with the virtual mirror.

ChokDK and ears1991 like this.
  20. dauntless

dauntless Alien

Use world records+x time as base. If kunos don't have that data then they should start collecting it immediatelly. Without any meaningful comparisons to known lap times it is not going to work imho.