1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Road noise from Tyres needed!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AlfaGunner, Jan 16, 2017.

1. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Any sound modders out there or even AC sound devs.

Realism could be greatly enhanced by adding tyre / road noise, I dont mean skidding or sliding, just tyre noise from the road tarmac.

Its here in this vid (see 1:29) of real cars to give an example:

or here a quick vid I made to show what I mean

After seeing/hearing the difference, the original seems to be missing something.

As it is not in AC or any other sim I know, it seems to be a missing link to total recreation of a realistic sound, it has to be added, and if it was im sure it would enhance the already existing engine/skidding sound etc.

I wish I was a programmer so that I could experiment with this idea.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Suggestions Road noise from Tyres needed! Jan 16, 2017
    Chit Chat Room Constant scraping / road noise Apr 7, 2016
    Audio Bugs & Issues Audi quattro no road / wind noise Aug 18, 2015
    Audio Bugs & Issues Road noise audio bug Jun 5, 2015
    Suggestions Suggestions and questions - road noise, reverb, and horns Mar 1, 2014
    ACC Troubleshooting Fixed -RealtimeCarUpdate.Heading/Yaw removed from ACC Broadcast UDP in favor of WorldPosZ/Elevation? Apr 4, 2024
    ACC Troubleshooting Broadcasting API is missing track data for the Nürburgring Apr 1, 2024
    ACC Physics AMG front splitter not fully modeled (no scraping on road surface) Apr 11, 2023
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Road Effect Feb 15, 2023
    ACC Tools ACC broadcast docs Jan 21, 2023
    ACC User Interface Gap time disappears when in Broadcast view Nov 2, 2022
    ACC PS4/PS5/XB1/XBX/S General Discussions Is it possible to enter the broadcasting mode in PS4? Oct 29, 2022
    ACC Multiplayer How to hide this se3ssion info widget in ACC Broadcasting Mode? Jul 17, 2022
    Screens & Videos Mclaren 570s on Coste Roads May 25, 2022
    ACC General Discussions Drive to Dream - road to 2023 Porsche Carrera Cup Italia. May 20, 2022

3. Diablo_rf

Diablo_rf Hardcore Simmer

Kinda agree, yeah, this is something that AC miss in terms of sound.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  4. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  5. Mogster

Mogster Alien

6. Ben Lee

Ben Lee Alien

Yup. Agree totally.

7. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

Yes, the tyres road noise is actually missing from the game I believe.
    Funny thing is, in the game, as long as you do not run out of fuel, it is not noticeable really, as the engine sound is most prominent really, and wind noise has been updated recently, and is quite realistically depicted now, maybe to muted still, but can be ramped up in game with the sound app.

In real life, coasting along at low to medium speeds, the noise from the tyres is more prominent then the wind sound, with the engine being almost inaudible.
    Travelling on the motorway, the wind sound gets most prominent, overshadowing the tyres almost entirely, and engine is still only audible as a distant hum.
    When accelerating hard and revving close to the limiter, only then the engine becomes most prominent and audible.

In AC as we are always revving the car to the max and travel at high speeds, the missing road noise is not really an issue therefor.
    But I must admit that its kind of funny if you run out of fuel, and notice how the car slowly depletes its speed in absolute silence.

8. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Good points there, yeah and running out of fuel, just shows that the only thing the sound engineers have considered is the engine and nothing else lol, like the rest of the 2 tons of metal and rubber makes no sound!

Come on Kunos, please take note of the points made here.

All it takes is a simple white noise sound to replicate the tarmac/tyre sound, it can work on the same principle as the wind noise, the faster you go the louder the tarmac/tyre sound but with one important difference - make sure we can hear other cars tyre sound!

9. Turk

Turk Alien

That's probably one of those noises our brains filter out for the most part in the real world. People may not expect it in a game and may think it is nothing more than some sort of sound glitch.

I think it would be a good addition but if it is put in, it may be best as an option that people turn on.

Solmyr likes this.
  10. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Good points, but it needs to be there, not just an option.

If you look at the real action vid, at 1:29 seconds, the cars have lifted off the accelerator, coasting to the corner, the only sound you hear, and it is a massive sound is the tarmac/tyres....its quite a big thing to miss !

11. Tberg

Tberg Alien

Surface sounds are indeed present in the interior sounds of AC, but are mostly the same regardless of driving a loud vintage or quiet modern car.
    Exterior sound lacks surface sounds though.

12. I just came here to say that your signature is enormous lol.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  13. matz_AUT

matz_AUT Hardcore Simmer

I think Stefano (not sure though) has mentioned some time ago, that wind sound was deliberately more quiet then in real life, because the majority of players would consider it annoying.
    Me thinks, that with tyre road noise it could be similar.
    That being said, car manufacturers literally spend millions in developement to reduce road (tyre) noise and wind noise, even working with noise cancellation ( sound wave with inverted phase through the cars speakers) to make the cars more quiet

14. To be fair William, your head is too ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jebus likes this.
  15. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

oh, i cant see it! what pixel dimensions should it be lol

16. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Good points, its just that tarmac/tyre noise exists, so it should be there.

Its right that I should not hear other cars wind noise as they go by, but we should hear their tyre noise, whether im in the cockpit or spectating or in any other views.

It is louder than the engines at times in real life so where is it?

17. [​IMG]

Orne likes this.
  18. I'll give you some if you keep going ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  19. Jadonyx

Jadonyx Hardcore Simmer

Totally agree with this.

20. Fonsecker

Fonsecker Alien

For internal view, there is a roadnoise or at least, you can create a sample for roadnoise. I am sure it can be also used for external view.

Depending on the kind of sample creation, this roadnoise is more or less included in the samples if u only use 100% real recordings. So it is difficult to add a roadnoise to a sound with allready roadnoise included.

U usually make sound mods for racecars, where most of the cars are that loud, that u don´t hear this roadnoise that much. But for streetcars, it can or should be done.

On some original Kunos sounds in the past, u can hear the onboard wind noise also in the external view as a "road & wind noise" which is a good start but semi professional cause the sound is totally different to a roadnoise. it can be done simply by ading another samplefor the external roadnoise in the wind event with a different distance value so it will only be played in external view.

I will have a look for this if i can add a proper roadnoise for my sound mods...

21. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Excellent...I cant wait for you to do this, give me a mention when you do.

I am making another vid today based on your latest sound mods, it will be awesome!

Thanks Fonsecker )