1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Road noise from Tyres needed!

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by AlfaGunner, Jan 16, 2017.

1. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Ive made a version of the Tyre/Tarmac noise based on Fonsecker's sound mod.

Without sound edit

with sound edit

the sound (i used a better sound for my original vid, it was more roady lol)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    jc1993 likes this.
  2. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

I tend to think that on the youtube videos you posted (post #1) a big part of the noise is wind noise. As the car moves through the wind it will make that type of sound. The tire road noise is only a component of what you hear when a car is traveling at high speed.

3. Mogster

Mogster Alien

I agree this would add to realism in replays but in car I'd rather hear the mechanicals.

I thought the dev's have already said they have minimal road and wind noise as people would rather hear the mechanical stuff.

4. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Good point, in cockpit fine, but when cars pass at high speed hearing just their engine is unrealistic, their tyre noise should be heard also.

And when you are not revving engine, and coasting from a high speed to a corner, does a 2 ton car with 4 fat tyres roll in silence....no, but it does in AC and other sims.

5. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

It happens as your speed increases, doesnt actually have to be fast, 4 fat tyres make a lot of noise.

Wind noise is heard from inside the car, and should overide tyre noise, but opponents wind noise should not really be heard, but their tyres and engine as they pass, yes.

6. That's just the thing. My WAG--Wild A$$ Guess-- is that 90% of drivers 90% of the time are not in a situation where they should hear road noise. 90% of the time they are in cockpit.

You say "when cars pass at high speed hearing just their engine is unrealistic, their tyre noise should be heard also."

Perhaps slightly yes, but it is not a very noticeable thing, or something that is very detracting from watching the replay. I would certainly like to have it myself. I often watch replays and I make AC videos.

However, I seriously doubt it's going to become a priority for Luca. But perhaps he will have the time to work it in.

7. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Good points, in my original post I said maybe a sound Modder will pick it up...im no way saying AC is not good without it, but it is missing.

I like the way the wind noise increases with speed, be nice if the tyre noise also does this, or have a slider for it, like we do for wind.

Personaly, my wind noise increases with spicy currys )

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  8. Andrew_WOT

Andrew_WOT Alien

Would that be possible to hide your sig into spoiler, really makes thread hard to read.

9. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

That example is a bit unfortunate because for very loud race cars with slick tyres and no tread engine noise will be way more audible than tyre noise, and the tyre noise very different from road tyres. It's the road tyres where the noise from the treads and compressed air accounts for most of the noise coming from the vehicle and the tyre noise will be different from tyre to tyre. Just as with tyre squeal depending on many different factors it's not really ideal to take that approach with one sample for the purpose.

Seria17hri11er likes this.
  10. OoALEJOoO

OoALEJOoO Simracer

Wind and road noise should be treated equal. Both are proportional to the speed of the car. They t manifest on both your own car and your opponent's cars.

If you are in a cockpit view then all external sounds get dampened (road and wind). I agree that when driving in cockpit view you should probably not hear your opponent's road or wind noise too much. If you are in an external view then you should hear them more directly. TV cams should capture both wind + tire as in real life.

AlfaGunner likes this.
  11. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Well said :cool:

12. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Good points.

Its simple, tyre noise is not present in AC, and it would benefit realism if it was there.

13. Mr.Mugel

Mr.Mugel Alien

If Kunos is interested, I have some infos and diagrams about this, speed dependency, frequency analysis, width dependency, etc. I can not share this in public, though.

Seria17hri11er and AlfaGunner like this.
  14. Jadonyx

Jadonyx Hardcore Simmer

Surface sounds works depends on the surface. If you drive offroad you actually hear the sound. I dont know how it works, probably sound modder can tell this, but if game knows that it need to switch to offroad sound when you go on dirt, then you can somwhere set up surface sounds. Also interesting thing - you hear dirt sound only when you higher than 10 km/h. I think there is not volume must fade but velocity.

Yep... I was driving BCC long with that old asphalt part where you can actually hear different surface sound. I think I will look where is this coming. If we can add that or different sound to usual tarmac surface it would be cool.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  15. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Take a look at the track surfaces, like this:

[SURFACE_17]
    KEY=GRS-CUT-B
    FRICTION=0.6
    DAMPING=0
    WAV=grass.wav
    WAV_PITCH=0
    FF_EFFECT=NULL
    DIRT_ADDITIVE=1
    IS_VALID_TRACK=0
    BLACK_FLAG_TIME=10
    SIN_HEIGHT=0.03
    SIN_LENGTH=0.5
    IS_PITLANE=0
    VIBRATION_GAIN=0.2
    VIBRATION_LENGTH=0.6

That doesn't really work for general tyre rolling noise. Kunos uses it on BCC for the rough surface but it's the same at any speed with any tyre.

Jadonyx likes this.
  16. Jadonyx

Jadonyx Hardcore Simmer

Yep you right. But
    I found that for surface sound (and all common sounds) responsible file common.bank. This is container for all basic sounds ingame. And seems to be sound for tyre rolling tyrerolling.wav is missing in it or named differently. It is available in sdk folder though. So now it is basically work for modder - create another common.bank with tyrerolling.wav. So you can set it up in surfaces.ini as Epistolarius marked :)

AlfaGunner likes this.
  17. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

Fonsecker, are you still watching this thread, as these points are excellent.

Sound is essential and as important as graphics, once you've heard what should be there, it should be there.

18. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

I think this is interesting:

Yep you right. But
    I found that for surface sound (and all common sounds) responsible file common.bank. This is container for all basic sounds ingame. And seems to be sound for tyre rolling tyrerolling.wav is missing in it or named differently. It is available in sdk folder though. So now it is basically work for modder - create another common.bank with tyrerolling.wav. So you can set it up in surfaces.ini

19. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Looking at the sounds.ini... that's not really audible in stock AC content, is it. I haven't heard tyre rolling noise in AC at speed at least, when testing and running out of fuel in a street car for example I don't notice anything beyond wind noise and usual tyre squeal.

[TYRE_ROLLING]
    SPEED_GAIN_0=0.0
    SPEED_GAIN_1=0.0002
    VOLUME_GAIN=0.6
    PITCH_REFERENCE=45
    PITCH_GAIN=0.2

20. AlfaGunner

AlfaGunner Racer

during checkout for my new tyres for my real car, i see this made me say 'hah see kunos, its a real thing...get it in the game!'

External Noises

Te final rating before you purchase is external noise emmisions. This is not the noise from inside the car, but external
    noise made by the tyre.

This is measured in decibels: your tyres are 72db.

External noise emissions measure the decibels (dB) created outside the vehicle when that tyre is used in normal driving conditions. The label displays as one, two or 3 audio waves (one audio wave is the lowest). The number of decibels is also shown as a numeral.

Traffic noise is an important issue, especially in quiet neighbourhoods where people are trying to sleep at night. New legislation is coming in that will put more restrictions on noise levels which makes the purchase of noise efficient tyres more important than ever before.

Breaking down the noise level ratings:

One wave indicates 3 decibels or more under the current noise legislation.

Two waves indicate an acceptable noise level for current and future noise legislation.

Three waves indicate a tyre that will meet current noise mandated levels, but will fail future limits and need changing in the future.

Why the labels now?

The EU tyre labels are designed to provide more information to the vehicle owner to help them make better choices. Drivers who regularly take motorway trips, driving through different weather systems over a long drive will benefit from knowing how well their tyres can handle wet road conditions. People who live in a quiet cul-de-sac will be able to reduce the noise when they arrive back late at night trying not to wake the whole neighbourhood.

Are all tyres rated?

Regular passenger, 4x4 and van tyres will all have the EU ratings. This means that all of the tyres currently sold by Tyre Shopper carry the EU labels.

The tyres that do not have the EU labels include off-road, vintage, spare, studded, and racing tyres. Also, tyres that have a speed limit of 80km/h or less are exempt.

Are the labels standardised across tyre brands?

Yes, whether you’re looking at a Michelin, Continental or other brands, the 3 label information can be compared side-by-side.

Our Responsibilities

Both tyre manufacturers and tyre distributors are responsible for providing EU tyre labels. This is self-certified process where tyre manufacturers determine how each tyre should be correctly rated. Tyre Shopper provides this information on the product page for each tyre listed on the website.

For every tyre sold by Tyre Shopper, we will include the tyre sold and its tyre label information relating to fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise ratings.