1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Wet track racing/driving videos and discusion thread

Discussion in 'Chit Chat Room' started by mantasisg 2, Apr 4, 2017.

1. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

But it can be really wet at Montreal too lol, check OP

Also in Texas too lol, looks interesting, seems like driver is using very strong TC

2. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Some educational videos. Actually a lot.

3. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Silverstone GP was very exciting to watch last year, especialy the first half.

4. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

Sorry for spamming, but this must be in the thread, there is so much educational value in this video, a lessons from master.

5. @mantasisg 2 It aquaplaned. The puddle was deeper that lap and it was definately more luck than skill that kept it going the right way. It certainly gave my butt muscles a good workout!

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  6. baboon

baboon Alien

In AC the track is the same everywhere but irl you need to read the track surface even when it's dry. Go off line for an overtake or is too dirty? Or is it slick because it has rained before? What happens if I put a wheel on the grass? In AC the grass is so grippy it has nothing to do with real life.

I'm also very interested in mixed conditions and wet driving too. In my youth I did something called KartCamp. One week learning to drive karts, with instructors, fitness training and everything. In the dry I almost had no chance to get into Top20 because I was one of the oldest and heaviest drivers. But then one day there was rain and it was completetely different. The rubbered ideal line I used in the dry didn't work, it was like driving on grease. I tried lot's of different lines and suddenly on the end of the day I was in the top 5. I also did my very first tourist lap in heavy rain and spun twice but that didn't put me off driving in wet at all. I like that the limit is lower and everything happens slower. It's a great way of practicing car control, only driving in snow is even better :)

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  7. Epistolarius

Epistolarius Alien

Funny how you read sometimes that the grass is too grippy and other times people complained that it's too slippery. Nothing personal baboon, just should be noted that people think it's wrong in both directions.

I think the answer is grass/soil isn't standardised and can be different from track to track...

baboon and mantasisg 2 like this.
  8. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

@Epistolarius This must be logical, as there are many tipes of grass, many possible density levels, height, it can be wet in the morning because of dew, the grass can be very dry because lack of rainy days... Would be fun if it would get standardised lol

I very much agree. Especially at more beaten up tracks, where are different tarmac sections, grip should be different even when it is dry, I think it should. And there are stuff like oil, sand, soil, gravel, rubber marbles.... it can be so complex...

Epistolarius and baboon like this.
  9. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

To be fair, I think I gotta understand Kunos' side when they don' go through the work to replicate rain. 90% of the public servers are always on 100% grip, and even so most people can't even go through turn 1 properly, most races that start with 20 cars end up with less than 5. So imagine those drivers trying to survive in the rain.

By the way, is there any estimation of the grip percentage that driving on the rain with wet weather tyres would provide? I know there are factors like aquaplaning and factors that go beyond a simple grip level, but what would be a reasonable grip level for rain?

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  10. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

They do replicate different tarmac layers. I do remember seeing Stefano saying that the darker asphalt in Magione is grippier, for example.

baboon likes this.
  11. baboon

baboon Alien

Dangerous reasoning, could justify simplifying everything just to make it 'easier' for the average driver ;)

I understand it wouldn't be popular though. Similar thing with realistic damage.

mantasisg 2 likes this.
  12. Poguinhas

Poguinhas Alien

It doesn't justify simplifying everything, it justifies not putting a lot of effort into a feature that wouldn't be used by most drivers. But I think they said we'll have rain and night in AC2, if that's true then I just can't wait.

baboon likes this.
  13. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

I'm afraid that at least half of AC user base wouldn't even try wet track, half of the rest would probably just try it, then following same principle - some would use sometimes, and then some often. That wouldn't be most popular for sure, and it is sad. Sticking to most comfortable is so monotonic and blind. Living in a bubble :D Also nobody complains that flatspots aren't a problem really, it is hard to get a really bad flatspot, and if we would get horrible flatspots, then people would complain, hate it.

I bet that it is same in single player. Sad. Learning to survive in low grip definitely helps with higher grip.

I don't think that there is any estimation of wet track laptime difference. @William Levesque posted that wet line alone in 150seconds track is ~4seconds slower than dry line, it probably would be individual per each track, and maybe different with each car. Then it can be just slightly damp track, and it can be flooded so much, that tires would not be able to remove water out of the contact patch even with deepest grooves and maximum downforce possible and then it would be skating on the water - which would probably feel pretty much like ice.

Kenny Brack did 1'46 in Goodwood qualification when it was quite a lot of water on the track and took pole position. I know that when it is dry they can lap Goodwood in 1'21 with GT40. So thats like ~17 seconds slower for each minute of dry track (I suppose it was cold day), in begining of the thread I have posted two comparison videos which shows wet track being ~10seconds slower for each dry minute. I'm afraid that it can be just approximated, as there are different tires, different downforce levels, different amount of water, ambient temperature would have massive impact on wet track grip - I guess. And then if tires can't go up to temperature it is also bad for grip.

I did little mod for Nordschleife, for wet track placebo. I used ~28percents less friction to achieve ~+10s/60dry seconds pace loss, and this is without wet line, so perhaps I could use ~8s/60dry seconds, but I preffer approximation. Dry line would have to be crossed from time to time. Real wet track should feel like grip is going up and down and off, I think. The con is that on slow speed, when you would normally have proper grip because tires would still be able to remove water, with just reduced friction feels like ice on very low speed and with cold tires. Later it is ok, and on high speed perhaps too much grip. Because there is no water, just friction lowered. Also no puddles or dry patches. Just constantly wet track - which is not totally unrealistic actually.

I think it is very interesting subject.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    baboon likes this.
  14. ~4s faster than dry line*

Of course it depends on the track a lot. And also the car and tyres to a lesser extent.

15. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

You got me confused. I thought that it was about wet line in the dry track. Not that wet line is 4s faster in the wet than usual dry trajectory.

16. That would be pretty pointless haha. But yeah, it's wet lines on a wet track, versus dry lines.

17. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

No, that would be useful, because then it would be clear how much of the lap time loss is due to longer and slower trajectories, as in dry both trajectories will have similar grip, and in wet dry line is much slower because it has less grip. Four seconds would be believable. Gonna try it in AC. If I'll get wet lines correctly, I guuess should be just a little more towards outside.

But as you pointed out it would depend on car, tyre and specific track.

18. Not that simple.

19. mantasisg 2

mantasisg 2 Alien

What can be difficult in it ? You brake off dry line, cross dry line and go a bit outside through mid turn, then cross dry line again, and accelerate off dry line. Or it can be variations ? Like braking on the same line, entering mid turn in the same line, but exiting off the dry line ? maybe some turns aren't that fast and they don't require that much grip to enter or exit? Would be nice to have real practice for that.