1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

Generic Weekly Hotlap Challenge #116 – Black and Gold

Discussion in 'Console Lounge' started by Totall Wrytoff, Feb 17, 2019.

1. Improvement
    PS4
    upload_2019-2-18_21-26-19.png
    Not the best lap, but we like room for improvement.

pctm, Andy-R, 365gt and 7 others like this.
  2. @flyingnugget, loved the dynamic pics you posted top of p1, getting some very unusual "shape and air" in your lap!:D

3. Laughing Gravy

Laughing Gravy Hardcore Simmer

1.24.374 PS4[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

StyleF1re, pctm, Andy-R and 8 others like this.
  4. Tibor Sólyom

Tibor Sólyom Hardcore Simmer

Current standings:

1- 1.23.705 DonZmeuheu PC
    2- 1.23.845 Lewisxbone XB1
    3- 1.24.374 Laughing Gravy PS4
    4- 1.24.475 Sissydriver PC
    5- 1.24.613 Gijon XB1
    6- 1.24.636 Moodyryder PS4
    7- 1.24.693 mike reynolds PC
    8- 1.25.020 Total Wrytoff PS4
    9- 1.25.437 Emmanuel Tubbiolo XB1
    10- 1.25.629 365gt PS4
    11- 1.26.068 StyleF1re PS4
    12- 1.26.486 flyingnugget XB1

5. dancamma

dancamma Racer

Hi guys,

I'm new to Sim racing, I would like to ask you which kind on settings are you using for the challenge?

[​IMG]

In particular I would like to know
    - Stability control: I'm using 0%, it's ok to use 100%?
    - Mechanical damage: I'm using 100%, it's ok to use 0%?
    - Fuel consumption? By disabling it, I could set the fuel to minimum but I think it's not that realistic.
    - Tyre wear?
    - Tyre blankets?

Thanks! I'm working hard to get better lap times!

Attached Files:

6. Tibor Sólyom

Hi and welcome!

My 2 cents:

- Stability control: I'm using 0%, it's ok to use 100%?
    It's not against the rules, but it's not realistic and kills the fun.
    - Mechanical damage: I'm using 100%, it's ok to use 0%?
    I think it's not so important in Hotlapping, hopefully you don't wreck the car very often :D
    - Fuel consumption? By disabling it, I could set the fuel to minimum but I think it's not that realistic.
    For me it's so frustrating to disable it, again kills the immersion. BTW you don't gain barely anything with 5 or 10 kg less.
    - Tyre wear?
    I can't imagine to have a race without tyre wear. It's a very important part of the racing. Not so important in Hotlapping usually, if you need fresh rubber, you change them.
    - Tyre blankets?
    I'm using them, because I have so little time to play :D

StyleF1re, DonZmeuheu, 365gt and 6 others like this.
  7. Here's my advice:
    Stability Control - I'm not a fan, perhaps use it to start and slowly lower the %age until you don't have to use it.
    Definitely switch off damage completely.
    Definitely switch off Fuel Consumption, usually its best to empty the tank down to 5 litres. Occasionally a car handles better with a bit of weight in the tank.
    Definitely switch off tyre wear. I use blankets, some like to warm the tyres up - over to you.
    Make sure you have increased the engine limiter in this challenge, shorten the gear ratios, increase downforce, try starting with max settings front and rear, then adjust depending on how the front and back of the car behaves. Then slowly lower it till you have the minimum you need.
    Then keep an eye out for set-ups posted by others on the forum, but nothing beats practise. You can also set up a quick race, alien level, 100% competitive and then watch the replay of the leader's laps. They are far from perfect, but it should give you an idea of how to approach the lap. Then enjoy practising some more!:D
    It's taken me over 1 year to get to mid table on a good day.:)
    Go for it!

StyleF1re, DonZmeuheu, 365gt and 5 others like this.
  8. Ha, Tibor and I were typing at the same time and we clearly disagree.
    I think using max rev limit will damage the engine quite quickly in this challenge and one will loose power doing multiple lap stints, which is what most of us have to do, Tibor:D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  9. Tibor Sólyom

Yes, forgot the overrevving, switch it off! :D

10. And I would change your ABS setting from "Factory" to "On" until you feel very confident. You can then adjust it in set-up. Please don't be concerned about your time, you will get better and better, all of us here were beginners once:)

StyleF1re, DonZmeuheu, 365gt and 4 others like this.
  11. Tibor Sólyom

It's a very interesting question, which is better for a beginner, using many driver assists, or trying to go the hard way. I would say, you have to try switching off as many helps as you can, but you still having fun. Because fun is not always coming from better lap times. Maybe you can develop faster without the helps. I don't know, you have to try.
    When I started to play with car games, I only used the hood view. And then once I switched accidentally to the onboard view. I was really surprised how much more immersion it gives, so despite I was much slower in the beginning, I never went back to the hood :)

StyleF1re, DonZmeuheu, 365gt and 6 others like this.
  12. Pretend racer

Pretend racer Hardcore Simmer

1.22.349 pc

Sorry I don't have a screenshot - I forgot to take one. I took a pic on my phone of the timing screen from the end of this video, but I can't get it to upload :oops:

Here's a world record lap, but it was still pretty sloppy. I am sure I could get down a few more tenths but its time for vacation so that ain't gonna happen! I showed the setup I am using at the end of the video, it could do with a little bit more tweaking on the tire psi's and probably the gearing too. I bastardized Labbe's tune for brands hatch from the setup market...

StyleF1re, pctm, Andy-R and 7 others like this.
  13. dancamma

dancamma Racer

Guys, thank you all for you advices! I'll try to follow your advice and try to get under the 30s by the end of the week :) (I'm currently 1:31:something)

I've another question? which time would you get with a "basic" setup (the default one, without any change)? I'm trying to figuring out how much important is the setup

Thank you all again!

14. Pretend racer

Pretend racer Hardcore Simmer

A proper setup should be worth 2-3 seconds on most tracks compared to the default setup.

StyleF1re, DonZmeuheu, 365gt and 3 others like this.
  15. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

so here my 2 cent - dont wanna judge anyone!

immersion is the key for me. realistic as possible and i feel good.:)
    cause many things are free here in whc i am not too involved with my emotions.
    things can be handled too different to compare the lap times seriously.
    its more fun, have a good time, learn a little, laugh.;)
    but no real competition!

stability control

complete no go.
    it stops simulation.:confused:

mechanical damage

must have - overrevving, wrong clutch handling, crashing into barriers that are no track limits and use them as rail is possible (highlands for example), turbo 100% without consequences - where is the simulation? :confused:

fuel consumption

as tybor said ~10kg makes no difference in laptime and its immersion

tyre wear

must have - yesterday tried special event with the macan at nords - without tyre wear its complete nonsense for me. with this car you have tyre at ~70 after one lap.
    last week with the f138, after three laps the tyres go down.

tyre blankets

dont use them normally cause i love to feel how the tyres build up the grip.

hope it is not to too offensive :oops:

StyleF1re, DonZmeuheu, 365gt and 4 others like this.
  16. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

pretend racer is right. a good setup is very important.
    but, only when you are near the alien times (depending on track length how many seconds).

this videos explain it better :)

17. sissydriver

sissydriver Alien

the enginge gets damaged, but it survived ~ 5laps, so no problem ;)

18. Gijon

Gijon Simracer

Improvement
    1.23.957 X1b
    2-19-2019_9-40-26_AM-yooyequ5.png

StyleF1re, pctm, Andy-R and 8 others like this.
  19. moodyryder

moodyryder Hardcore Simmer

@dancamma

I have the game set up exactly the same as you have it in your screenshot.

However:

The rules for the WHL are quite lenient. This is for two main reasons:

1. It includes as many players as possible.
    2. We can't police it so we don't bother to try.

If you want to try stability control, go ahead. Particularly if you're on a controller it can be a godsend.

The main thing is to get the software to work so that you enjoy playing it. There are no "Assetto Police" to come and tell you that you're a bad driver.

I would have been arrested several times as a repeat offender if there were. :)

---

I know for a fact that there are lots of players who do the weekly who don't post times here. I had a period of time when I used to run it and I used to get messages from some of them.

This thread alone has nearly 800 views already. It can't all be sissydriver. ;)

Fair play to you for jumping in and having a go.

---

I did 1.26.5 on my 5th lap on default set up.

Set ups are important but I try to do at least 25 laps on default before I even touch it. Unfortunately I didn't have time this week so I just jumped in and went to soft tyres, low fuel, more wing and longer gears to make it easier to control.

The F1 and other racing cars have lots of set up adjustment and it gets very confusing. When we're doing road cars it's a bit easier.

---

Best way to find laptime: don't look for it.

Go into "practice" rather than "Hotlap". That turns the ghost off.

In your HUD cycle it around so you don't see the delta timing. It's very tempting to look at those little green numbers. You should be looking where you're going.

Drive the track. Laguna is great because (as Andy has said) the apex clipping points are marked with red kerbs. Concentrate on hitting them.

Don't restart if you mess up early in the lap. Use the lap to push hard in the later corners. The laptime has already gone so you've nothing to lose. So many players have a good first sector then mess up turn 5 or 6. They restart and consequently get really good in S1 then too cautious in the less familiar S2 and S3.

---

Check your session times when sat in the pits.

Smile.

Repeat.

Have fun.
    :)

20. Andy-R

Andy-R Alien

I wonder if tyre wear off is more of a hindrance. Do all cars have optimum tyre grip with it off or just whatever default grip is? In a lot of cars it takes a lap to get the tyres up to optimum.

A really big one is to use brake markers, if you don't it is going to be much more difficult to tweak your driving and be consistent when you do get it right.

I personally really like the lap delta as it can show you what worked and what didn't. Probably best to ignore it until you are driving consistent but looking to gain time.

StyleF1re, DonZmeuheu, 365gt and 3 others like this.