1. Do you need support for Assetto Corsa Competizione? Please use the proper forum below and ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Logs" folder in your c:\users\*youruser*\AppData\Local\AC2\Saved. The "AppData" folder is hidden by default, check "Hidden items" in your Windows view properties. If you report a crash, ALWAYS zip and attach the WHOLE "Crashes" folder in the same directory. Do not post "I have the same issue" in an existing thread with a game crash, always open your own thread. Do not PM developers and staff members for personal troubleshooting and support.
  2. As part of our continuous maintenance and improvements to Assetto Corsa Competizione we will be releasing small updates on a regular basis during the esports season which might not go through the usual announcement process detailing the changes until a later version update where these changes will be listed retrospectively.
  3. If ACC doesn't start with an error or the executable is missing, please add your entire Steam directory to the exceptions in your antivirus software, run a Steam integrity check or reinstall the game altogether. Make sure you add the User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione folder to your antivirus/Defender exceptions and exclude it from any file sharing app (GDrive, OneDrive or Dropbox)! The Corsair iCue software is also known to conflict with Input Device initialization, if the game does not start up and you have such devices, please try disabling the iCue software and try again. [file:unknown] [line: 95] secure crt: invalid error is a sign of antivirus interference, while [Pak chunk signing mismatch on chunk] indicates a corrupted installation that requires game file verification.
  4. When reporting an issue with saved games, please always zip and attach your entire User/Documents/Assetto Corsa Competizione/Savegame folder, along with the logs and the crash folder (when reporting related to a crash).

I suck at ACC - what to do!

Discussion in 'ACC General Discussions' started by deadmeat2k, Apr 19, 2019.

1. iVG

iVG Alien

Here's the other video I flicked through the setup just so it's easier for people to replicate.

OrganDonor and Karsten Beoulve like this.
  2. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

Oh my best is 1.50.5 on green track, so what should I set it to to have a comparison to you aliens?

3. iVG

iVG Alien

Optimum is the best possible track conditions you can ever have.

4. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

As IVG said, set it to optimum, green, if I am correct, means that it is with no rubber in it, so it is slower. you should be able to notice the diference on the kerbs (more black colour / rubber on them). It should be more grippy like this.

Description here:

Green track
    A paved race course that is clean from rubber buildup, oil/grease, marbles (see below), and debris, typically cleansed by means of a recent rain shower. Depending on the track and/or racing series, a green track may be favorable or unfavorable. Track crews may use jet blowers to remove marbles and debris from the surface, to mimic favorable "green track" conditions. However, a green track may be unfavorable due to reduced traction.

EDIT: please tell us the time difference you achieve, I feel curious. My bets are at 1s-1,5s from geen to optimum. let's see if I am right :p

5. martcerv

martcerv Alien

Optimum will give the most grip, still times are relative especially with dynamic weather and grip levels. 1:47.5 may be easy in optimal conditions but then other times you may be working hard 2 seconds off that pace even on a dry track.

Still amazed how many asked for night, rain and dynamic weather. However in the end most just want static optimum conditions. :oops:

Even had some random guys in a server that had reasonable pace in a race but once it started to rain next session they did half a lap then left.

6. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

I think having optimum track conditions is a good way to compare times. If it was dynamic all the time, a fair comparison would be impossible. Our friend here is asking us how to improve his time compared to IVGs time... step 1 is to lap in the same conditions.

Of course, once you start racing in a Dynamic track, you will go slower depending on the track conditions.

7. Karsten Beoulve

Karsten Beoulve Simracer

Randomly jumped in lambo and in 5 laps nailed a 49.398.

Now I'll try bmw and the setup above

8. iVG

iVG Alien

The setup in the video is for zolder though so I doubt itsi gonna work on Monza. I can send the Monza one later when when I'm back home.

9. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

I crash into people LOL
    Not really

I hear you, I am about 8 - 10 seconds off pace, but I keep chipping away at it with staying with one car and working on suspension. While I do that, I am not trying to beat my last time, just putting time in the SIM and car setup. I have removed on average 4 seconds with each full improvement. Once I hit a mark. I drive the car with no additional setup until I feel I need to work more on setup.

Finally I truly believe, that the PC and equipment we use is the final say on if we can compete with say a Cray Super Computer setup. What I mean by that are the Threadrippers and 99xx intels, with 1080 bookoo ram, uber fast SSD and 20k wheel, pedal and rigs total. Then the Alien who does have that uncanny ability, but it is a SIM and even when racing in luckydog or 24 hours of lemons (Real Cars) I am still 5 - 8 seconds off pace of the leaders. So I really dont know I am just typing because I am on break and waiting for an engineer to give me a fix. But in the mean time what I can offer is this

1. Seat / SIM time
    2. More car suspension setup tweaking
    3. Go slow to go faster
    4. Never watch the times in HUD, pay attention to the next corner entry and exit
    5. Never compare yourself to others, race your own race
    6. Watch, listen and apply. What I mean by this is in the real world what I was taught is to watch the fast guys in areas I struggle, watch apex entry, watch break points, watch exit , listen to engine, tire, when they brake when they get on the gas. The apply to your ability and style
    7. in Practice races follow the faster guys, never try and beat them, set the break points when they hit and try to match to your comfort zone
    Thats all I got, dont listen to me, I am probably your back marker ;)

10. Luatz1

Luatz1 Racer

I disagree in a cpuplc of things ( if I understood them correctly).

The first one is that IMO your wheel, pedals... Setup wont make you faster. If seen many people with a g29, g27... Doing crazy lap times...

Secondly i disagree in recommending people to start tweaking the setup to get seconds from there.... Just use the agresive setup from the game which is really good, and modify it a little bot of you dont feel confortable with it.

I just do that and I am 1-1.5s from the best times on the leaderboards.

The key to get better times is not buying better equipment,or copying a setup from an alien, the key is in your hability/technique with the car/game.

Just practice, ask for advice, and keep on improving.

What I write here is for the people that are... 3,5,7.... Seconds off the best times, dont expect to improve your times drastically just because you buy a better wheel or you copy a setup, because you wont

11. Nesja

Nesja Racer

I learned a lot from asking help on this forum and providing videos of my driving so others could identify where I needed to improve. So I'd say videos of you doing laps and asking feedback will help.
    I also learned a lot from just sticking with the default setup and seeing how far I could push it.

Setup will make a difference, but not as much as you'd probably think (maybe 1 s going from safe setup to aggressive and maybe a tiny bit more going custom). Most time is in your driving and car control.

I also think refresh rate of monitor may help a little bit. I notice when cpu for some reason causes some stuttering and my fps drops, my pace will drop off because I end up getting breaking point and turn in points less accurate. But the effect of >60 is probably minimal.
    From what I've read better steering wheels don't make you faster but can make you a little bit more consistent.

12. Si.

Si. Simracer

I’ve improved my Monza time from being able to just dip into the 1:50s infrequently around the e-sport event to a best time of low 1:48s and now being able to run 1:49s regularly and without difficulty, my CN rating is generally high 80s/low 90s as is my CC. This is with the Lambo and standard setup (tweak to TC 4, ABS 2 and BB 58), so I would say no need to touch suspension etc. until you’re within a couple of seconds of the fastest time at least and able to hit that consistently. Probably when your CN and CC for a car/track are around 90.

Most of this is just from listening to advice on here about braking points, importance of exits etc. I must give the aggressive setup some laps to compare and see if I can go faster, maybe for a quali setup.

Even though I’ve now run so many laps round Monza with the Lambo, if I take it to the Hungaroring I lose the backend much more than I do with the Ferrari and find it much more difficult to drive. I think that’s partly what’s going to be great about ACC, even though it’s focused only on GT3 the difference between the cars is very noticeable and also the strengths and weaknesses of cars at different tracks is quite pronounced and I presume realistic. Brilliant stuff.

13. nrc689

nrc689 Simracer

I saw in the video (Lambo) that he use only right foot for brake and throttle? Is normal? Because i accelerate with right foot and brake with left! Ok i played many years Richard Burns rally but... i'm wrong in Gt cars?

14. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Your hardware will make a difference, frame rate, flow screen refresh all makes a difference in game play. If you PC is choking so will the input PERIOD END OF STORY. if we said it was not then running Street rated tires with a stock setup on a Toyota Corolla will be the same as driving a McCalaran on the same track in stock form.

Setups, well I guess all that stuff in setup is worthless, why bother, just use whatevr pre-defined and you are A-OK.

Practice we can agree, it is seat time, track time

Components make a huge amount of difference in GAME PLAY. If your components can keep up and surpass the effects of video demand Ram demand CPU demand it will make game play better as well as your ability to judge corners with a smooth running PC

I am not advocating buying the best stuff, I am saying if you have ****, your experiance will be ****

15. Mikaz

Mikaz Rookie

It really seems that the point where i´m struggling against pro drivers are braking. Example in Monza if i brake to turn one or three after 150 meter marker i will overshoot the turning point and loose all the benefit gained from later braking. One thing that i noticed in some case i don´t use 100% braking pressure, but mere 90%. That is something i need to concentrate to use full power of the brakes when necessary. But even then i have to brake just before 150 meter marker. My lap times in Monza are around 1:52 and best is somewhere 1:50.9. Well training, training and more training...

16. Si.

Si. Simracer

I don’t think anybody is saying that. Improve your driving technique and that will work for every car on every track, gains across the board (across games/SIMs even). Setup changes are often quite focused to a car and/or track therefore are going to take a lot more work. In addition, once you’ve improved your technique so that you can run consistent times it’s going to be easier to analyse which setup changes really make a difference and which suit your (improved) driving style. I feel that driving technique has the opportunity to gain seconds (my experience as mentioned) whereas setup changes more like tenths.

17. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Run into them its called bump braking

18. Si.

Si. Simracer

I could have written this paragraph almost word for word a few weeks ago. Follow the advice in this thread and elsewhere which is at Monza you will gain more time ensuring that you have a good corner exit as that will gain time all the way down the (long) straights, whereas braking a few metres later is likely to gain a couple of tenths at best. @Minolin has posted a very good video on this.

The CC rating is your friend, once you can get it green i.e. a fine/ok/good or better rating for most corners in a lap then your time will be more like 1:49 at Monza. Your race pace will improve even more, as you’ll be more consistent and make fewer mistakes that really cost time e.g. running off track or over-shooting a corner.

Minolin likes this.
  19. R1-Limited

R1-Limited Racer

Setting your FOV helps a lot

20. mike reynolds

mike reynolds Hardcore Simmer

My 2 tips.....which are obvious really....

Look at your braking points from your replay, not from where you think you are breaking during “live” driving. I used to think everyone braked later than me, but once I started looking at my replays I realised by the time I factored in my reaction time from thinking brake to actually doing it, I was 15 meters further up the track...(actually watching your replay is a good way of assessing your own driving and how to improve generally)

30 mins driving will deliver greater returns in terms of improvements than 30 minutes fiddling about with set up, so forget about tinkering until you are convinced the weakness are in the set up, not the drivers seat. When you do start to play around have a clear idea about the handling characteristics you want to change and approach it in a methodical fashion, set up is all about compromise so changing several things at once will generally muddy the waters and won’t help you understand the impact of changes you have made to each component. Chris Haye has a very useful series of videos and a downloadable crib sheet which makes a daunting subject very accessible...check out his u tube channel.

GoBo, R1-Limited and Si. like this.